The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Bible

Anyone watching it?

I don't have cable at home, but I've been farmsitting all week and have caught up. I've really bee enjoying it.

As inspiring as some of it is, it made me realize that we are still and always have been a very violent people.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I've been watching it. It's great. The series is well made as far as the acting, special effects, cinematography, and music. It uses modern movie technology to make the stories interesting and relatable. It's also made me read certain parts of the bible now that I'm interested.

The history channel has always been exceptional. W/ the exception of those dumb reality shows. I'm so glad that this series had been so well received by the general public who is usually into thoughtless TV.

3 members found this post helpful.

It is wonderful, they did a great job, Tonight is the conclusion.
    Although it will be tame after watching the PAssion of the Christ yesterday. If you want to talk violent!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've been watching it. It's a lot better than the old Heston movies. But a lot of dirt and sweat and blood. Although the Portuguese Jesus is cool.

I read the book, so the ending is ruined for me. I won't spoil it for others, though. But be warned, it's a pretty shocking ending.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    I've been watching it. It's a lot better than the old Heston movies. But a lot of dirt and sweat and blood. Although the Portuguese Jesus is cool.

I read the book, so the ending is ruined for me. I won't spoil it for others, though. But be warned, it's a pretty shocking ending.
    Yes the story of The ending of Jesus is shocking, He was crucified. But is risen!! Please tell me they did not do it something different.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I read the book, couldn't put it down, reread it often.

I think they are doing quite a good job with the movie.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

There is a book??
    Kidding~ LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Yes the story of The ending of Jesus is shocking, He was crucified. But is risen!! Please tell me they did not do it something different.
    There is a book??
    Kidding~ LOL
    Oh well, I can tell you won't have to worry about cold feet in your future!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Oh well, I can tell you won't have to worry about cold feet in your future!
    Huh?? I was kidding!

Huh?? I was kidding!
    ^_^

So was I.

(I was actually laughing, about the end of the story )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    Been watching it off and on today, but noticed a great similarity in features between Heston's Moses and Moses in the series. Seems they took some effort to find an actor to play Rameses that had a voice close to Yul Brynner's deep rumble. Having watched part of The Ten Commandments last night, I also noted that both Heston and Brynner were in far better phyisical condition, picky, yes, but considering the state of undress in that climate, better to have someone that actually looks the part of either a working man or a fighting man.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I find it so sad that there are only ten replys on this post.
    I suppose it is not a popular subject with many.
    The series was beautifully done and very accurate. IT moved me to tears. but in a good way. Very powerful, Roma Downey and her husband are to be commended.

Just finished watching, and will watch it again. My husband and I rarely sit through a movie together in the evening, but sat glued to the couch for this!

We're watching it as we can -- dvr'd it.

A few times we've had to point out to kiddos a few inaccuracies, and they are too young to handle portions of the last episode, but what a cool show. Inspiring many good conversations, and bringing the Bible to life for many!
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Stumbled onto the swordplay clip during the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah segment. Wondered for a moment if Peter Jackson had a hand in producing it. Those angels could swing some steel.

We have it on the DVR so we can watch at leisure and skip the commercials.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Yep. I'm watching it. I agree with the OP about human violence. The music is Han Zimmers soundtrack to the DaVinci Code. Love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Stumbled onto the swordplay clip during the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah segment. Wondered for a moment if Peter Jackson had a hand in producing it. Those angels could swing some steel.

We have it on the DVR so we can watch at leisure and skip the commercials.
    I absoutely love how the angels were portrayed. They ARE God's warriors - not sweet cherubs!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I agree w/ Sannois that it's sad that there doesn't seem to be much discussion here about this series. I've read it's been a cable success and I am happy about that (I'd rather hear smart conversation than the usual dumb drivel about the latest reality show- I do admit to liking and watching Dance Moms, though ).

I've been watching the series since it began and it has inspired me so much this Easter season. I haven't felt this type of Easter celebration since I was a child getting an Easter basket, wearing my Easter dress to go to church. I am not a practicing Catholic, not that there's anything wrong w/ that. Maybe it's b/c I'm not a diehard bible reader that I've been so excited about this series. I think that there are many people like me that will be reintroduced to the Bible thanks to this series thanks to the way it was presented- in an interesting and relevant format to which the present day person can relate.

3 members found this post helpful.

Have watched most of it. What I really like is how the angels are portrayed.

Throughout the Bible, angels appear and just about the first words they utter are "Don't be afraid." Yet somewhere along the way, folks have come up with this idea of angels as these sort of passive, winged people and/or chubby babies. Angels are part of an army; they should be swinging swords to a degree.

What has been really good about this series is how some of the younger generations (think high schoolers) are connecting to it. I work part time as a youth pastor (my crazy, crazy life....who'd of guessed it??) and I've got a couple of kids who are more likely to believe anything Stephen Hawking "utters" than scripture (even that which is historically supported through other documents). One of whom really got into the first few episodes...not sure about recently as I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks. Regardless of what he ultimately believes, this has been a good opp for him to get a taste without being overfaced by sometimes confusing scriptures.

As for not much discussion...I think some folks steer far and wide of any discussion about religion. There is this perception of some that all Christians are judgmental a$$es whose hypocrisy is rarely rivaled and that rational conversation with them is an impossibility. Not true, not fair...let's not paint everyone with the same broad brush stroke. Love one another as you love yourself 'bout covers it.

I really wanted to watch it, but missed the first episode and I can't start anything in the middle. Need to remember to set my DVR and catch them all on there so I can watch them.
    Quarry Rat