The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Sources for Furniture?

I need an entertainment center or sideboard-BUT - I cannot find anything that fits my budget without looking like a cookie-cutter big-box store result and feels even worse. I like the look of texture/distressed but would consider other options. I've looked at Ikea (wrong stye, too modern), Overstock, Pier 1, and countless second-hand/consignment stores.

I magically received a Pottery Barn catalog and there were a few interesting options there - but out of the budget, again. Specifically looking for a closed-TV stand or cabinet that can support a 40 inch TV.

Any suggestions or hidden gems?
    Last edited by In_; Mar. 31, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to include sideboard

Try Decorators.com, there is a mix and match set of cabinets, tv console, etc. I think it comes in black, white and brown, but I don't think it has doors. Believe it or not Value City Furniture has a nice set, I think it's the Plantation series.

thrift stores or home-made.

Maybe see if there is a pottery barn outlet near you? There is one near us and my mom is always finding great deals on furniture And maybe even check craigslist or something? You may be able to find some PB furniture on there

I like antique stores. The pieces I have bought were excellent workmanship, a good value, and unique. I would also second craigslist- why pay full price.

Boston Interiors (not sure where you're located.)

We got our entertainment center at an unfinished furniture store. And someone at the store was willing to finish it. It's one that is three widths wide, with bookshelves at each end. At the time, I believe the unit was $550 on sale, and we paid the guy $300 to finish it. So $850 for a big unit that in furniture stores was going for $2000+. Maybe not quite as perfect, but at least it is solid - not like so much furniture these days.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Look at Wayfair.com they have a huge selection, there prices can be good, depends, shipping is really fast and free and you get reward dollars that add up quick and can be used on future purchases.

Thanks for the great ideas so far! Have lots at which to look. Building my own and/or taking on a project (From the local historical salvage store...drool) Would be ideal except for the wee fact that I live in an apartment. Aka I do not own the tools - and do not have the space. Please keep the ideas coming!

I never thought I would buy furniture at Costco, but when we went to buy our flat screen TV, I also found the perfect stand for the new TV and all of the various media components.

You might want to look at some of the IKEA hack sites. A lot of people take their furniture as a starting point and paint it, add different knobs and such, etc, and it looks completely and totally different. It's hard to beat their prices, and if you're in an apartment they are generally on a better sizing scale for you. And keep in mind that their furniture is a little bit hard to evaluate in the store, because of the way they display - it will look VERY different at home as the only IKEA piece. My parents actually have a fair amount of IKEA in their house, but you would never know it; it blends in surprisingly well with antiques, traditional stuff, etc, if you pick pieces carefully.

I would look on Etsy also. All of my absolute favorite pieces of furniture are things that a guy at a local antique shop here reworked for me from other things (i.e. a furniture cart coffee table, etc), which were all shockingly cheap for the quality of what I got. If you don't have a local place like that, Etsy is a good alternative.

Also, try World Market - if you like Pottery Barn, some of their pieces are sort of a similar look but less pricey.

craigslist
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant