The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jerking on the reins should never happen, but sometimes a horse might need a good kick to get it listening. If you sit there and gently niggle away with your legs trying to get the horse going, it's going to tune you out, and become less and less responsive to the leg. If you are clear with your leg aids, you won't have that problem. OP, you mentioned that the trainer said the rider was timid and the horse not listening - so I'd say the rider probably DID need to be a bit more proactive about asking the horse to listen, and respond. I obviously wasn't there, so can't truly comment on the situation, but I would much rather see a rider give one meaningful kick then leave the horse alone, than constant nudge-nudge-nudge-nudge.

Training opinions are as varied as they come OP, like other people said, you'll have to shop around for trainers. And just because someone teaches something you don't agree with completely one day doesn't mean you can't take away something from them or that particular lesson. Even if it's a method I don't prefer, I'll still make note of it, you never know when it might be useful!

There are a few situations where I will give the horse a fairly good pop in the mouth. One is purposefully bolting and blowing through the aids (i.e. no "whoa"). Another is purposeful broncing with the head between the knees. Green/young horse antics are a different situation, but a spoiled horse who knows better and is trying to get you off, I do not tolerate.

I'm not a serious dressage rider, but I dabble in it occasionally. Good riding is good riding, regardless of discipline. And manners are manners!

So in other words, everybody has a different opinion. Lol, good luck on the trainer search OP!

1 members found this post helpful.

Without video, we're relying on your mastery of English and comprehension of what you witnessed.

I think it was a chocolate fudge pie.

If you are all interested in the "french style" (a la Philippe Karl), I know an awesome trainer/instructor in the Redmond area. PM for name and contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by r.j.246 View Post
    I've had quite a few lessons and rides where it's been a completely nasty, ugly mess of a ride where I had the lay down the law pretty harshly. I've been approached by other people before about it, but they weren't aware I was riding spoiled horses. (Nor had they ever ridden one before.)

When training any horse, there are times where you have to really get after them. An effective ride isn't always aesthetically pleasing.
    I believe in an effective rider any day over a pretty rider. So many can sit pretty but are not effective at all.
    "Ask often, demand little, reward generously"
    " Every horse has a chocolate side"

Quote Originally Posted by r.j.246 View Post
    I've had quite a few lessons and rides where it's been a completely nasty, ugly mess of a ride where I had the lay down the law pretty harshly. I've been approached by other people before about it, but they weren't aware I was riding spoiled horses. (Nor had they ever ridden one before.)

When training any horse, there are times where you have to really get after them. An effective ride isn't always aesthetically pleasing.
    This. I had one last week. We were going up, down, sideways, backward to get out of half passing from M to E. K to B was a-ok, but he said I'll be damned if I'm doing it from the other end! He was just having a downright nasty tantrum and I really had to get after him. I'm never, ever mean or rough but sometimes you have to get firm to work through things like that. I would hate to have had someone pass judgement on myself or my absolutely fantastic instructor over my horse's stubborn redheaded temper! When he gets that pissed (which is fortunately very rare) he also tends to toss his head up and down in a way that may very well look to a bystander like I am jerking the crap out of his mouth. In reality my seat and hands are absolutely still and steady and he's mad that I'm not giving him an opening to escape through.

The instructor you observed may totally suck, or they may be fantastic and you just saw a horse who was having a particularly naughty moment. Were I in your shoes I would probably watch a couple more lessons to get a more well-rounded view of how they teach and how their students are performing before making a decision.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have spent too much time getting horses to re-trust the hand to ever correct by a jerk in the mouth.

So much of how you ride and train depends on the horse. Some need an occasional boot as a wake-up call to pay attention while others will carry a resentment of any kind of correction not timed just right. With others you are just better off ignoring a sulk and riding through. Watch and educate your eye.

Shop around. Take a lesson with several trainers. You will find one that fits you. JMHO
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

As my trainer says. You'll never win with the hand. They are stronger and can win that fight. My guy gets tossing his heading or throwing his head up it leg leg and more leg. Forward with steady hands. A nice string half halt in the mix as well but never popping or jerking him in the mouth. I've seen to many horses ruined this way. Actually one turned into a bolter because of jerking and popping him in the mouth so much. As soon as the girl would start he would bolt and all bets were off. I could get on the same horse of hers and ride him around nicely with a steady hand and he would go very happily but as soon as she got on and he did one little thing she would jerk the crap out of him. He was a hunter and started out a nice guy, green but easy. Started running out of jumps on her and just bolting around the ring. I'd get on and he'd jump like nothing was wrong. IMO he got tired of her and decided he wasn't going to work for her bolting was easier.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

If you jerk with the hand most horses will make you fix that for a few sessions in terms of being soft.

Its a much harder battle to correct something you broke than it is to train new IMO. Following a hand that can be angry is not a prey animals way. Its like following a tiger to them.

We all do make mistakes, or give into temptation to say < "HEY REMEMBER ME!? IM THE ONE RIDING YOU!??!!!!" But its no good for later work most times.

Either way it should be rare... Like unicorn rare.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Consistent jerking of the face means there are much bigger issues that need to be addressed. Could be a confidence issue with the rider. If you can't trust the horse to carry you safely, you should at least trust yourself to be able to ride out whatever it throws at you. Otherwise, it'll just get into a vicious cycle of ugly and mistrust.

Strong rein aids should only be something you use as a last resort, and only then occasionally as the situation calls for. Many horses I get on have had issues due to constant too strong of contact, generally in conjunction with some crazy bits. Usually with them, a quick correction of the hand (usually mid bronc, lol) then softening is enough to get the point across without having to go into tug of war, which you will lose every time. And by popping a horse, I mean taking one strong quick hold of the rein for a split second, not doing major league baseball swings with the reins.
    Horses are pretty smart, they know when something is fair or unfair. It's us that need to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by zacdos View Post
    Can someone suggest a barn in Washington in the Redmond area to Snohomish or Monroe. Any suggestions positive or negative would be appreciated.
    I missed this part of your OP and didn't catch that we are in the same area... There are definitely a couple of trainers in this area who I wouldn't be surprised to see riding rough, I'll just leave it at that. But we do have some wonderful people as well. Someone else mentioned Jessica Wisdom, who is very good but she is way south in the Vancouver/Portland area now. I would highly recommend Roxanne Christenson in Monroe if you have your own horse (she doesn't have school horses). IMHO she is by far the best in our area.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    ... Someone else mentioned Jessica Wisdom, ...
    She was very nice when I spoke to her a couple of months ago when researching DCM (Darling Chestnut Mare)'s background. Jessica was one of the homes during the itinerant days before DCM came to Florida to a permanent home.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Adding my two cents to exvet (Post #13)

1. I don't have the best body control, so I appreciate an instructor who can provide actual riding instruction (yes, even "heels down" because that is a surprising factor in a tense back!) when it's necessary to augment "stretch the topline a bit more")

2. An instructor who communicates plans and includes me in strategy. One who takes the time to watch videos I post of rides she's not supervising (for example) or shares videos of training rides on my horse that I don't see.
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Apr. 10, 2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fixed a stupid typo
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff