The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to Do?

My horse is Amazing, and I love him. I love being at the barn except for one thing. Everyone there, while they are super nice treat me like my horse is a total school master and always has been. I have ridden and schooled all of their horses in addition to lots of sale horses and can say his is one of the hardest rides in the barn. Recently my trainer has been letting us jump higher (3'6"-3'9") and people at the barn are treating me like he's just taking me around the courses when really he's willing to stop at a moments notice. he's turning eight but and I've only had him for 15 months or so and people are pretending that he's never been bad even though when I got him he would literally dump me once a week in the dirtiest meanest ways and so its really frusterating that they're treating me like he's a saint when although he's super good he's only good for specific riders (me and my trainer).
    What would you do? Should I just breathe deeply and take it as a compliment or what?
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Smile and be happy you have a great horse. I had the same problem with a horse of mine many years ago. Everyone treated me like she was made and easy even though she was a very sensitive ride and most of them couldn't have ridden her as well. Take it as a compliment.
    Last edited by equisusan; Mar. 30, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

4 members found this post helpful.

Of all the issues to have! take it as a compliment! They like your horse, and apparently you make him look good, so run with it!
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

7 members found this post helpful.

I would count your blessings and try to ignore what other people think. Would you prefer everyone at the barn talk about how bad and hard he is? Or how he looks so hard when you ride him? A good rider can make a wide variety of horses look easy, so take the compliment.

Plus, if you ever want to sell him you'll be happy he has a reputation as a very easy ride
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

If others think your horse is a "packer", I'd take that as a sign that my riding was making the horse look good!!! Maybe you just make him look EZ!! Good for you. Take THAT as a compliment!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

2 members found this post helpful.

Geeze I wish my friends thought my horse was a packer! It's a compliment, it means you're doing your job right. Just ignore the comment if they don't mean it as a compliment.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

2 members found this post helpful.

A local tack shop sells sweatshirts that say "Amazing horses don't just happen." Perhaps something you need to make your mantra It sounds like you make this horse look easy, even though he isn't. YOU make him look easy, and have made him a nicer horse than when you got him! Amazing horses don't just happen
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

5 members found this post helpful.

You should definitely take it as a huge compliment! That means you're a good enough rider that you can make it look easy!! I WISH I was there myself!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I would say a big "thank you" and smile to yourself with satisfaction. People said this about my mare, and until they saw her have some of her "moments" or until they tried to sit her canter, they always assumed I did nothing.

You work hard to ride well, and have a horse that looks effortless. Good job! :-)
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Take it as a compliment. If you are the only one who knows challenging your horse can be, then kudos to you! You are making it look easy. That is a true art!
    Last edited by snaffle635; Mar. 31, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Removed extra word

Definitely take it as a compliment; that says something about your ability to finesse things and make him look easy!

I do know that it's hard to always take it as a compliment; I got that remark a lot about my mare over the years and she is easily the most difficult ride I've ever sat on (and I've ridden a lot of horses), but just smile and say thank you and smile inwardly

I agree with what everyone else says - its a compliment.

However, I understand how you feel. Everyone always says my horse goes so nicely and looks so calm - I want to yell and tell them he is pulling my arms out of my sockets and my legs are numb from having to keep him on-track!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

whether they mean it to be, its a compliment. I think other people's horses always look easier to ride from the rail. Just smile and nod and know that your riding looks more effortless than it is.

Regardless of the intention behind the comment it IS a HUGE compliment to you, your patience, your perserverance, and your skills as a rider. For you to be able to ride him in such a way that he looks like a packer says a great deal about your ability.

Say "Thank you" with pride, regardless of how the person intended the remark. And if they meant it as a dig (insult) at you, they'll quit saying it when you refuse to acknowledge it as an insult.

I agree with everyone else - it's a compliment! Some people will say things like that with the intent of minimizing your achievements, but don't let it get to you. Just take pride in a job well done and enjoy your nice horse.

I went out with a few old friends last week, and we were reminiscing about the good old days growing up riding together (we now range from mid-20s to early 30s). They were all gushing about how jealous they were about the Childrens/Junior horse I had as a teenager. I was shocked! He was a really tough ride, bucked me off A LOT, and was a dirty stopper if you didn't get to the fence just right (and, well, sometimes if you did!). But all they really remembered was how pretty he was, how big I jumped him in lessons, and the ribbons we got at shows. They had no idea that I threw up nearly all day at shows because I was never sure we would make it around the courses without him dropping me into an oxer!

I guess what I'm saying is, unless they've sat on the horse, they just know he looks nice and fun to ride most of the time. That's great, and a testament to your hard work with him. Keep up the good work and keep up a positive attitude!

Offer them a ride on him haha!
    My coach won't ride my horse. When she wants to she can look great , but she is not easy and is kind of volatile. We have joked about putting disliked lesson students on her.

I agree with those above, clearly it means you ride your horse well and make him look good. Other than taking that as a compliment, why would you care about the rest? Just focus on your riding and stop worrying what other people think. Unfortunately you need to have a thick skin in the horse world.

I agree with what everyone else says. If YOU know he's not an easy ride, but everyone else thinks he looks like an easy ride, that means you're an amazing rider. They are paying you the ultimate compliment!!!!
    Don't be snarky, a "thank you" is all you need to say. If they're making comments behind your back just ignore it.

You should totally get a more difficult horse and show them! Wanna trade?