The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What would you pay

11 year old appendix mare, 16.3 hh, broke, lead change, no jumping experience, but seems willing and safe over the small stuff we jumped. Broke western, needs an English tune up.

In my area probably no more then 4k depending on what else she can do. Is she good on trails? Has she been to shows? Can you put less experienced riders on her? I know people who would pay around 6k for a horse that can do the local high point shows, it would depend on her movement and quietness (sp?)
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

I would say anywhere Fromm $500 - $4500. If she's attractive, conformationally correct and sound, closer to the $4500 - large horses who are up to carrying a little weight are at a premium.

If she's plain, light boned or has moderate to serious flaws, then she will be difficult to move, at least in my area.

If she has any aptitude for jumping at all, it would be worth paying for 30 days professional training on her to get her going decently over fences. Then she could be Pony Club or 4H mount, or a local hunter.

What has she been doing? How safe and easy is she? If she has been showing western with a good show record and is an easy ride around here probably around 10k or up. If she is no good in western and that's the transfer to English reason then up to 5k because of some retraining.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I think it really depends on area. I think in most horsey areas assuming she vets like a typical 11 year old, $2500-7500. With more jumping experience and auto changes probably on the higher end of the spectrum.

In my area, a similar horse (but 7 years old) sold for $6k. Very safe, sound and jumping 2'3 courses. It did take about 8 months to sell though.

Hard to say without conformation pictures and videos of how she moves. It would depend on what she is made up to do.

Years ago I came across two beautiful TB chestnut mares, one about 16.1 the other was 16.3 and priced from $0 (free) to 1,000.00 They were both four years old, completely sound mind and body. Nice conformation and decent movement and I had a tough time finding someone interested.

The training is a plus for you so a guess would be 3,000
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

What would I pay? Nothing. Just because she's not something I would buy for myself. So it really depends on what people are looking for, she's not for everyone.

I agree with what someone said above, put the extra time to get her going over small jumps and just English in general. She's not young enough for someone to want to buy her and train her. But if you take the time to do it you can market her as a childrens' mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mi View Post
    I agree with what someone said above, put the extra time to get her going over small jumps and just English in general. She's not young enough for someone to want to buy her and train her. But if you take the time to do it you can market her as a childrens' mount.
    Since I don't know the OP - I will guess and say since the horse hasn't been started over fences and she's 11, maybe not capable of training horse to jump properly???

I would rather buy a horse for jumping that has not been jumped than a horse that has been started improperly. Easier to teach than un-teach

OP, if you or have a trainer that thinks the horse is a good candidate for hunters/eq or the jumper ring; if you are able to start the horse and get her going solidly, you may be able to get more. But saying that without seeing the horse in action.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Since I don't know the OP - I will guess and say since the horse hasn't been started over fences and she's 11, maybe not capable of training horse to jump properly???

I would rather buy a horse for jumping that has not been jumped than a horse that has been started improperly. Easier to teach than un-teach

OP, if you or have a trainer that thinks the horse is a good candidate for hunters/eq or the jumper ring; if you are able to start the horse and get her going solidly, you may be able to get more. But saying that without seeing the horse in action.
    The person above that I was referencing suggested sending her to a trainer for 30 days, which was more what I was agreeing with. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mi View Post
    The person above that I was referencing suggested sending her to a trainer for 30 days, which was more what I was agreeing with. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Honestly 11 years olds is really late to start jumping and she doesn't sound like anything spectacular so in this area (which is honestly generally a moving market right now), she'd sell for 1-4k.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים