The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gardeners! At what point do I miss the spring planting window??

We've had a weird spring in the South where it was still going below freezing as recently as Fri. night.

I s*ck at gardening and have never successfully planted *anything* but I'm sort of determined to get blueberry bushes and mulberry tree going at new place if humanly possible. Problem is, I can't plant yet b/c we haven't closed yet! (Closing has been kicked back to mid-April.)

At what point, weather-wise, would y'all say I've missed the spring planting window & had better wait until next year?

Thanks!!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

depends on where you are, what zone are you in?

"Where" in the south will you be?

That question asked, I doubt you'll be anywhere where you'll miss any planting "windows" except perhaps for those crops that insist on cold temps - like brassicas (broccoli, broccoli raab, some Asian greens, some lettuces, etc., etc.). But again - that depends on where you are.

I'm in Culpeper, VA, Zone 7, & don't plant out ANY of my warm-weather stuff (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc.) until Mothers Day (early May). Same for direct-seeding summer squash, & repeat seeding of Asian greens, etc.

So honestly, I think you'll still be able to get a garden in at your new place. Just don't hyperventilate about it. Have fun getting a few things planted & enjoy the experience. There's always next year for veggies.

But if you're only interested in fruit bushes/trees, hopefully someone else will chime in. Although I really don't think there's ANY real window for planting blueberries &/or mulberries.

I haven't even started seeds yet. Guess I should get on that, but I'm afraid they'll get stalky by the time it's safe to plant them.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Whew, thank you so much! I'm in Zone 7 like you, Bacardi. So hopefully I'll be OK!

ETA: I'm not actually planning on doing any veggies at this point - fruits are my "thang"!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    I haven't even started seeds yet. Guess I should get on that, but I'm afraid they'll get stalky by the time it's safe to plant them.
    Again - where are you located? I start my warm-weather stuff indoors mid-March to mid-April indoors under lights, counting on planting them out the 1st two weeks of May. If you keep your lights 1"-2" above your seedlings, they shouldn't get leggy. Growing on a windowsill, they might.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Whew, thank you so much! I'm in Zone 7 like you, Bacardi. So hopefully I'll be OK!

ETA: I'm not actually planning on doing any veggies at this point - fruits are my "thang"!
    Lol!! And I'm a veggie/herb gal with fruits & ornamentals second in the equation. But regardless - you don't "s*ck" at gardening. It's just a matter of trial & error. And there's always another season to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Again - where are you located? I start my warm-weather stuff indoors mid-March to mid-April indoors under lights, counting on planting them out the 1st two weeks of May. If you keep your lights 1"-2" above your seedlings, they shouldn't get leggy. Growing on a windowsill, they might.
    I'm in south central PA. Usually I have things started by now, but it's been so freakin cold...
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post

well, the zones don't say too much...
    but around here - unless we are talking cold weather crops, like English Peas,raddishes etc....Mother's day is when you put your tender stuff out.

Yep, that late....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.