The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I remember the scandal when Athina announced she was marrying a rider, much older than she was... The Greek government (already fighting her French dad for control of the money she inherited) was in crisis... I bet she could help the Greek financial situation and make a dent! lol

I am mostly happy for Ben Maher. He has had a wonderful season so far. Do you know what happened to him in the last few weeks? His FB updates and tweets were all about seeing doctors and sessions in the hyperbaric chamber? Did he have a fall? I never did find what had happened. I just like him a lot and Jane Clark must be delighted with his results.

Can't wait to see E. Lamaze back to the top, but he is very well with all his new horses, esp. Wang Chung (Tom Reed)!

I read somewhere that Ben Maher had a horse fall with him (in the schooling area?) within the last week or so, and was pretty banged up. He wasn't sure he would be able to show in the class until that day, I think.

Congrats to him and his whole team. They had a great season at WEF!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I remember the scandal when Athina announced she was marrying a rider, much older than she was... The Greek government (already fighting her French dad for control of the money she inherited) was in crisis... I bet she could help the Greek financial situation and make a dent! lol

I am mostly happy for Ben Maher. He has had a wonderful season so far. Do you know what happened to him in the last few weeks? His FB updates and tweets were all about seeing doctors and sessions in the hyperbaric chamber? Did he have a fall? I never did find what had happened. I just like him a lot and Jane Clark must be delighted with his results.

Can't wait to see E. Lamaze back to the top, but he is very well with all his new horses, esp. Wang Chung (Tom Reed)!
    Ben was my favorite competitor to watch this year at WEF. And what a gentleman!

He had a fall a little bit ago, and has been dealing with pretty serious back pain. Lots of spending time at the doctor and in the hyperbaric chamber. Crazy!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

From The Chronicle's coverage:

Ben Maher elbowed his way into second place with a clean and clear jump-off with Cella, even though as recently as this morning he wasn’t sure if he would ride. He’s been aching since a fall last week, when a horse he was schooling fell on him. This morning doctors were finally able to pinpoint that he has three fractures in his lower back. His doctor gave him the OK to ride in the evening, as long as he could stand the pain.
    “I’ve been [spending time in] a hyperbaric chamber for the last few days—I only found out I had that [injury] today,” said Maher, who’s from Great Britain. “I have a lot of tape on and a back brace and things like that. I just had to adapt my style to a lighter seat, which Cella thought was fun, but I didn’t. She’s unbelievable, she definitely helped me on a couple jumps tonight.”

Oh and a note on the band - they were actually really good in person, and (aside from the old-dude classic rock band from 2 weeks ago) were the best band they had there all season.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

oh my, kudos to Ben!! I hope he recovers quickly. He is a fantastic rider.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    It does seem that some people "have it all" however, Athina lost her mother at a young age and , her family circumstances were tragic.
    It is nice to see some happiness come her way.
    Nicely stated..