The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you do with your wet galloping boots? UPDATE: My solution with pics! #18

I need a better system than leaning them against the wall on the floor of the wash stall! Then trying to untangle all the velcro straps when I go to use them. Anybody got any good ideas on where to put them to dry and store until you tack up the next day?
    Last edited by subk; Apr. 11, 2013 at 03:06 PM.

I Velcro them around a blanket bar or lay them over the stall wall if I have a horse who won't chew on them!

1 members found this post helpful.

I velcro them to the blanket bar on my horse's stall. Or, If I'm going to be around, I leave them in the sun on the lawn while I graze my horse after working.

I also bought boots that don't hold water (I think they are Roma boots with a waffle lining) so I just shake them off and wipe them dry.

If I'm at home I hang them on the fence around the chicken coop. (sort of a high chain link)

At a show, if I have room without interfering with someone else's space I will string up a haystring "clothesline" and hang them from those.

Hanging wire baskets or racks are also nice. They come in 1001 sizes and shapes at kitchen/bath stores.
    Click here before you buy.

Ditto the velcro around a blanket bar, or we have a hanging wire shower caddy in our wash stall that they can stand in to dry.

If we've trailered, they get velcro strapped around the bars of the trailer window (away from my dear horse's prying lips) so they're dry by the time we reach home.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I would dry them the way others have suggested.

When I wash mine, I put them in a lingerie laundry bag with the velcro attached as if they were on a horses leg. Then I throw them in the washer. I let them dry in the bag spread out over a laundry rack.

When I'm out schooling/at a show they just get shoved into a bucket to get dealt with when I get home. At home they get hung on a blanket bar.

I always pair my boots up after I wash/rinse. I stick velcro straps of one boot to the velcro hooks of the other boot and hang the pair over a fence, blanket bar, gate (etc) to dry. I find it's much easier to sort your boots as you wash them, than when they're dry and you're in a hurry to use them.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Default mesh bag!

I wrap the velcro around backwards (onto the boot itself so they won't get tangled together) and put them all in a big mesh bag. The bag gets hung on something to let the boots drip dry. Once they're dry, they get hung in my tack locker in the bag so they're ready to use the next time.

I bought a Weaver mesh feedbag (like the kind you put on your horse's head for eating) that is the perfect size for galloping boots, lets them dry out / breathe AND keeps them in one place.

i hang mine on one of those 4-prong tack cleaning hooks to dry. we have a couple hanging in our tack room.

I hang up a piece of hay string and hang them from there using the velcro. They are stored on another loop of hay string (all boots, separated by knots) so when I pack, I can pick up the whole string, hang in trailer and go. At events, I can also hang wet boots back on this to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    I always pair my boots up after I wash/rinse. I stick velcro straps of one boot to the velcro hooks of the other boot and hang the pair over a fence, blanket bar, gate (etc) to dry. I find it's much easier to sort your boots as you wash them, than when they're dry and you're in a hurry to use them.
    I use this method too.

I, too, put them on my horse's blanket bar. However, if they're really wet and it's a sunny day, I'll lay them outside to dry faster... especially if I have just scrubbed them or something.

What AJ said. That way both front and hind boots are together and it makes them the right weight to hang hinged over a bar of some sort to dry. And then they are neat and organized when I need them again.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

http://www.horseworks.com/inc/sdetail/12377

You can even hose them off through the bag.
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I put all of my wet gear (not leather, but saddle pads, polo wraps and boots) on a line I have strung up in my tack room. If the gear isn't dry by the time I close up the barn at night, I move the line outside. I would leave them hanging outside the stalls, but my boys are chewers who need to be told what's edible and what isn't
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

The barn where I board has four blanket bars in the wash stall that we can use.

So after careful thought and consideration I decided my solution rested with velcro! I got a 7' x 2" strip of some sort of plastic trim and a roll of 2" velcro with self adhesive on the back side from Home Depot. I screwed the trim to the back wall of my wash/groom stall then I applied the soft side of the velcro strip to the trim with the sticky side and I was done!

Since I groom tack up in my wash stall as well as wash I take the boots off the horse rinse them off and stick the on the wall. The next day they are dry and just pull them off the wall when I'm tacking up and put the straight on the horse. The velcro tabs on the boots don't get tangled and stuck to something you don't want them stuck to--which is what drives me crazy about velcro boots!

http://www.slickpic.com/s/5TcMj15jNj...027813#4027813

http://www.slickpic.com/s/OzDNYjQDUT...027815#4027815

What do you think?!

5 members found this post helpful.

What an AWESOME idea!!!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!