The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling Stuff on Craigslist - Motorcycles, Specifically

When my brother passed away last fall, I inherited 8 motorcycles, though 3 of those are not complete). Two are street bikes, and the others are dirt bikes. All are from the '70s or '80s. Apparently there are vintage dirt bike racing groups out there. My question is about selling things on Craigslist on a more regional or national scale. Are there only the local listings (which was the point when Craigslist was created, I know) or is there something like a national motorcycle section? Are the other places that would be better to list these things? If I can't get them sold, I will just sell them to the parts place. Any suggestions are welcome!

There are only local listings, although there are other ways to search the entire thing if someone so desires. I would be looking for more specialized classifieds too(surely there's the motorcycle equivalent of Dreamhorse.com, right?) or possibly message boards like this one, only about motorcycles. If you aren't sure exactly what you have, I'd do a little research or find a trustworthy person who can help you list them accurately and for the right price.

where are you located? there are some vintage racing groups out there...that may be a great start. depending on what you have...they are worth what the recycler pays, or are worth way more. i have a hubby who is into the dirt bike life <g>

betsey

If it's at all possible, could you go the ebay route? DH has bought and sold numerous (20+) motorcycles via ebay and has always had excellent luck. I think you can reach a larger audience, and if the bikes are vintage, you may find a better target market. I realize there is a fee involved, but if you encounter less 'haggling' over price, you would end up the same in the long run. Also, he didn't like the idea of random people coming to the house to look at the bikes. With ebay, everything was done over the phone/via email and only the person who ended up buying the bike would show up at the house (or even better, a designated meeting place).
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

I've sold 2 Harleys on Craigslist for my dad. Both were listed locally (Charlotte, NC) and both sold to people far away. One couple flew down to get the bike then drove back and I think the others drove down and back. Bike people look all over!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I too sold a via Craigslist bike to someone about 300 miles away. They drove down, looked, paid, the check cleared and they drove down again to pick it up.