The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ClipClopNYC '13 Round Up, Yeee-hah!!

First I want to say THANK YOU to all the COTHers who attended, supported, spread the word, or just kept a good thought for us here in NYC as we hosted our second annual ClipClopNYC: Weekend with the Carriages!!

We had 170+ people who came for the free stable tours and lunch on Saturday, representing NY, NJ, PA, NH, MA, SC, FL, CT, OH, and WI!! This is up from about 100 last year!! This year we added Westside Livery on 38th St to the tours, and had shuttle buses taking people back and forth. It was all very lively and fun, lots of interest and great questions, reactions ranged from abject amazement to contented reassurement

A huge shout out to the good folks at Mane 'n Tail, who supplied 200 fabulous gift bags -- 7 different products shrink wrapped into a grain scoop! -- AND Beth herself showed up to address the crowd and hand out the goodies!! To top it all off, Mane 'n Tail VERY generously sponsored our entire event with an amazing donation

The Gala on Saturday evening at Rosie O'Grady's was awesome -- 104 people ate, danced, and laughed the night away with a view overlooking Times Square, while supporting the incredible folks at Blue Star Equiculture. Rosie's will definitely be our venue again next year, it was perfect!

Sunday brought our folks up to the Park for their free carriage rides. (We were ready and eager to counter the RARAs who protested us last year, but....they were a no-show more on that later...) Dozens of people stayed ALL afternoon, just hanging with the horses & drivers, talking to interested passersby, and enjoying themselves

In the evening a few of us went for a little tour through Manhattan, and then met up for dinner with some more folks at a great Turkish restaurant.

Many, many thanx to EVERYONE who came - and those of you who couldn't make it this year, I guarantee you will love it next year

Here is a FB "Note" that is quite comprehensive, and includes quotes from different people who attended, I think you will find it great reading (and some great pics, too):

https://www.facebook.com/notes/alan-...51529893733151

Here is a great, comprehensive album of pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8844543&type=3

...and here is another album of terrific pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2186637&type=3

I will be posting more....
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

4 members found this post helpful.

I so wish I could have come. Maybe next year!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bastnpny5 View Post
    I so wish I could have come. Maybe next year!
    I hope you can too!!

I am exhorting interested folks to start dedicated coin jars now to defray their ClipClop costs of getting to NYC next year lol. Lots of folks have joined our page for next year, anyone on FB who wants in just send a request:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3993...ref=ts&fref=ts
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a BLAST! Really, words cannot describe it...

Next year's dates have been set: March 28, 29, 30, 2014. You don't want to miss it, so start saving now!
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Ok, but now I wanna know:

What happened to Lizbeth and her bunch?

1 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I attended ClipClop2012 as part of our honeymoon last year, and we had an unforgettable experience! Sadly, I was recovering from surgery this year and unable to attend. We are already looking forward to ClipClopNYC2014! See you there, horse lovers!

It was a lot of fun. The silent auction was great, too. I ended up with a lovely 1891 carriage horse print.

When we first got to the park, EF was sitting on a bench well back from the carriage line, with two companions, looking morose. They spent a lot of time on the phone, texting or speaking, presumably trying to rally the troops. Eventually they went across the street to where carriages were coming out of the park after having given rides, and were joined by half a dozen other folks. They were very quiet, and mostly had their signs propped against the stone wall behind them. WAR never even showed up, unless it was after 4:30 when I left.
    MUCH different than the previous year, when they were loud and obnoxious, and there were more of them, and they were right in everyone's faces. People were out in droves and it was a happy, up-beat, busy, fun day for ClipCloppers and carriage drivers and horses alike. LOTS of happy kids and adults enjoying the horses, taking rides, getting their photos taken. It was very cool :-)

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    When we first got to the park, EF was sitting on a bench well back from the carriage line, with two companions, looking morose. They spent a lot of time on the phone, texting or speaking, presumably trying to rally the troops. Eventually they went across the street to where carriages were coming out of the park after having given rides, and were joined by half a dozen other folks. They were very quiet, and mostly had their signs propped against the stone wall behind them. WAR never even showed up, unless it was after 4:30 when I left.
    MUCH different than the previous year, when they were loud and obnoxious, and there were more of them, and they were right in everyone's faces. People were out in droves and it was a happy, up-beat, busy, fun day for ClipCloppers and carriage drivers and horses alike. LOTS of happy kids and adults enjoying the horses, taking rides, getting their photos taken. It was very cool :-)
    So it was no walk in the park for them.
    So sad

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    So it was no walk in the park for them.
    So sad
    Yeah, my heart broke for them. (snicker)

Hey I was just glad they weren't making little kids cry. The carriage drivers don't deserve it either, but they are grown-ups. If little kids were being hassled I woulda had to hurt someone.

Excellent.

Yeah, my heart broke for them. (snicker)

Hey I was just glad they weren't making little kids cry. The carriage drivers don't deserve it either, but they are grown-ups. If little kids were being hassled I woulda had to hurt someone.
    Maybe next year I can make it....
    I wanna do a Ferris Bueller: Stand on the carriage and sing 'Danke Schoen'

Then an Arthur: 'Through the park, Bitterman. You know how much I love the park!'

Once I get a free moment or two, I will be writing more about the awesomeness of my experience at ClipClopNYC 2013, BUT -- there are two things I keep wanting to share that I didn't know before I went, and that are often hammered upon by the fascist, anti-horse, lying liars that are against the horses in NYC:

1) Illegal U-turns: The carriages have PERMISSION from the NYPD to make U-turns at a couple of spots where it is illegal for motorized vehicles. This is a safety exception and the fascist, anti-horse, lying liars KNOW about it. If the opposition was based upon safety, they would be embracing this exception. Instead they use it to falsely malign the drivers. (Nothing new -- they use everything to falsely malign the drivers. Their opposition is based on nothing. Nothing.)

2) Overloading: The overloading claims are overwhelmingly false as well. The law allows 4 adults per carriage (which is ridiculous to begin with as these horses can pull WAY more than that without blinking an eye). However two children under 12 are allowed in place of one adult. So, for example, two adults can legally take up to FOUR children under 12. When you see a photo that claims overloading, look to see if there are kids on board.