The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I'm in middle school and just switched from 7th to 8th. I used to never notice this in 7th, but in 8th I've got a bunch of kids ready to drop out already. I probably have 6 kids (of 95) that I'm lucky to see 1 or 2 days a week. I have about 10 that show up late 4 out of 5 days a week. Nobody's getting on them. I didn't see a kid for a month, and it wasn't until I mentioned that to the alternative center person, that she mentioned it to the office, and they called home. Mom left for work early, and he slept in and missed 1st and 2nd period every day.
    That is *not* a fun age to teach (or to parent!). Our school has an automated system that notifies us via email when the kid misses school (that same day) and then a letter goes out if too many. I do wonder, though, if that parent in your example even knew there was a problem :-(

I wouldn't call child protective services if the kids said "my dad is going to kill me." I'd actually figure out what the real issue is.
    A friend of mine had CPS called on him when his daughter was little, because she told her teachers that her Daddy hit her with a golf club. In reality, he would (goofily) hit her on the butt with a plastic golf club thing from one of those sets, to giggle with her to get her to go to bed.

Kids!

Anyway - don't let those bad parents and kids get to you. Most of us parents are trying really hard - even those of us with kids who aren't doing so well. We really are doing the best we can with the hand we've been dealt, and we know you're doing the same!

That being said, I do live in a small town that is fairly dependent on the prison system. We have several big state prisons in the area, and many families move from town to town following whichever parent is in jail.
    Wow, you both must be working/have worked in very difficult areas!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    starhorse said;
    The planet warms every spring and summer but cools every fall and winter, if that's what you mean. But the science of overall "global warming" is not established fact, by any real analysis. Yet it continues to be taught as fact in most public schools.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93F0AJ20130416
    I know this isn't the point but I have to follow up. I read the article, and as far as I can see, all it states is that scientists are confused by a "slowdown" in the warming trend. Doesn't the article itself support the idea that there is, in fact, a warming trend, regardless of if it has slowed down as of late?

ETA: I admit I skimmed in places so no need to attack reading comprehension if I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I don't focus on the test because I find if I teach kids how to think and be responsible for their own education, they do OK.
    Man, if I could have gotten away with that, I might still be wanting to teach, You know how many times I got letters in my personnel file because somebody important walked in the room and I wasn't directly teachign a 'tested skill' complete wiht approved test practice materials? When I had kids who wanted to think, and I thought I could get away with it, we'd delve into good literature and have REAL discussions about it, but the kids would ALWAYS have a practice test on their desk, just in case you-know-who walked in the room. Until my last year, teaching novels was actually not allowed. Needless to say, I have lots of really pathetic sounding letters in my file. But my kids were always the 'lowest,' and they always performed better on tests than any other kids... Hurts to think about what we could have accomplished if there wasn't the constant, every day battle with admin about what and how to teach. Disadvantaged kids don't need to have their lives further narrowed down to choices A, B, C or D. They need their minds opened to THINK, and ain't nothin' gonna do that like a good book!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

2 members found this post helpful.

As a parent, I promise to all teachers out there that I am doing the best I can to raise independent, responsible children. I am clear to them that I do not care about "grades," but that they must always present the highest quality work that they are capable of producing. Because, that's how it works in the real world.

To their teachers, what I ask in return is that you challenge them, stretch them and ask them for more. I actually understand that in a large classroom, that is asking a lot, but it's what I ask in return for a kid who will be dressed neatly, be clean and tidy, will raise their hand to ask questions, will inquire on all subjects, and will always turn in their work, with their name (spelled correctly!) on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

And on the topic of Global Warming (because, why not?), I've actually decided to take this Coursera course: https://www.coursera.org/course/climateliteracy

I'm not a fan of what I believe is media rhetoric around the topic (on both sides, as it were), so I'm hoping this course will offer some insight into the science behind climate change.

As one who is planning to teach high school starting this fall, this thread is seriously making me reconsider.

Yeah, Hampton, you might want to do that. I don't know I'd recommend anyone get into it, honestly. I and all of the good teachers I know are counting the days until we can retire or looking for a change of career. You can make more with a lot less stress in just about any other job with your degree.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Nah. I love my job. Yeah, it is pretty crappy at times, but honestly I can't imagine doing anything else. We need teachers, good teachers, more now than any other time.

Do it! If you hate it, then change, but if you were drawn to the profession because it is a passion, then you'll love most parts and deal with the rest. Just like other job.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

There are people who are bad at their job in every line of work. There are bad doctors, secretaries, lawyers, gardeners, etc. There are also people who give those in different professions a bunch of crap about everything they do or don't do. It's not just in education, it just receives a lot of attention for whatever reason. If you are passionate about teaching, you will enjoy teaching. Even if it means moving on to a new position from time to time to get to a better environment or a higher position. It'll be okay.

I've never taught school. I've taught riding lessons, tutored, and I deal with the laziest, whiniest bunch of adults on the planet right now. I don't think it helps that one of the school districts is telling me they are interested, come in for an interview, etc, but our new teachers never last. I've always wanted to teach and can finally afford to do so. Plus it will be nice to have the same schedule as my daughter once she's in school. I love math and science, particularly chemistry and physics, which is what I would be teaching.

It can't be any more frustrating to deal with kids than with this adult day care I feel like I run now. Its amazing how grown adults will complain because they don't like the brand of free hot dogs we are serving for a celebration, or the T-shirt they got for free isn't the right color, or they got fired for cussing out their boss, or written up for breaking a rule for the third time, or they got in trouble for showing up 30 minutes late without calling...