The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too d*** tired to care!

ongoing issue, repeated trips to the doc so far yielded no results.

I mean, when I am a zombie when I go to bed a 3AM and rise at 6 (ok, 6:30, hitting the snooze button a couple of times...) I am not the least bit surprised.

But when I actually make it before midnight (or better yet, by 10PM) and sleep in til 8 or nine...an still feel near comatose...
    blech.

I should:
    Go out more. (D deficiency...I seem not to be able to shake it)
    eat better

but in all honesty, I do not have the energy.

I could crawl back in bed....

but doing so will just put me on a guilt trip, raise my stress level (for not having a stressful job, it's too high as it is) and is not restful anyhow (or I really fall asleep and feel even worse after)

I have been cutting down my coffee intake (mostly because it no longer tastes good) but have found I did not replace it with better choices

I hate, hate, HATE the feeling....it has been going on for far too long!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Are you in a rut? Seriously, when I am in a rut I get really sluggish and can spend all day and night in bed. Of course, I also get fat as heck so you can tell!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default I know the feeling...

By mid afternoon, I'd be so tired it was all I could do to put one. foot. in. front. of. the. other. Yep, need to improve exercise, eating, sleeping habits, BUT...still no way I should feel this bad.

Doctor ordered a sleep study. Best darn thing to ever happen to me! While I did not have actual sleep apnea (which causes your oxygen level to plummet), what they found was that I was experiencing some sort of "interruptions," and I never went into REM sleep. With the C-Pap mask, I went into REM sleep easily and for an extensive amount of time. What a difference it makes! I wake up thinking about what I'll get done today AND can make it through a whole day without napping!

If you haven't tried that, maybe it would be worth a shot. Also, my dad doesn't absorb or process (or something) Vitamin B. His symptoms were similar. Now he takes a vitamin B injection once a month.

Whatever it is, I certainly feel for you. It is the worst feeling to wake up and just pray that you find a way to get through the day or to "run out of gas" halfway through the day. So sorry you're dealing with this
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

twotrudoc, that is me too. If something happens that breaks the rut I am full of energy and come alive and wonder what the rut was all about!

Alagirl what do you think it is? You mentioned a couple "shoulds", do you think they are really the cause or a side note? Are you depressed? As you mentioned, "shoulds" usually make things like this worse.

2 members found this post helpful.

How is your food consumption? Cut out all sugars and wheat and processed food. Eat clean..(See your Paleo Thread)
    Work out at least 4 days a week, Cardio, Walking, weight training. GET OUTSIDE!! Take up gardening, soak up some sun. Breathe fresh air. It will work!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    twotrudoc, that is me too. If something happens that breaks the rut I am full of energy and come alive and wonder what the rut was all about!

Alagirl what do you think it is? You mentioned a couple "shoulds", do you think they are really the cause or a side note? Are you depressed? As you mentioned, "shoulds" usually make things like this worse.
    the shoulds:

drink more water. I am cutting down on the coffee, but seem to not have replaced the liquids with something better. bought a case of bottled water - which is kind of dumb, my tap water is drinkable....but the convenience I suppose...

eat better.
    Or rather eat something....I tend to not be hungry in the mornings, can easily go til lunch before I miss the food. The I am famished....not a good basis for healthy eating, really.
    but I have started to stock more fruit, mostly apples and bananas. They are easy to get down when I am not really feeling the urge to eat.

but being fatigued is really a pain when you need to come up with something to eat that is not a quick nuke deal (but hey, I am keeping my hot pockets!)

More shoulds:
    clean house
    do stuff for the scouts (boys and girls by now)
    the kid's school and all what comes with it
    rein in DHs panic attacks...we will be ok, but he has to worry about everything, which is giving me head aches.

I need a job to reduce my stress levels....

I don't think I am depressed, just physically wiped out. In the morning I take a handful of vitamins (B, C, E, D, plus Ginko and Ginseng) to follow it up at night with a one-a day...probably overload....but I did ok for a while there until I skipped the regiment for two weeks (I had some weird 'bloody freckles' that one morning after the vitamins disagreed with me...strangest thing ever...)

tis 12:30 right now... I could sleep the rest of the day! blech.

I am in a bit of a midlife crisis I suppose. I would not mind exchanging DH for a younger, buff model, the big car for a shiny little sports car.

A big problem is that since my sister passed away I have to tread on eggshells around my mom when it comes to health issues....I am the last one standing....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    How is your food consumption? Cut out all sugars and wheat and processed food. Eat clean..(See your Paleo Thread)
    Work out at least 4 days a week, Cardio, Walking, weight training. GET OUTSIDE!! Take up gardening, soak up some sun. Breathe fresh air. It will work!
    I am actually pretty good. little sweets (I think I had a total of one box of girl scout cookies all season...) sometimes indulge myself with chocolate but again, not a lot, and seldom.

baby steps....working on the other bad things, but gosh...I am too tired to cook!

You know, seabreeze's idea of getting a sleep study done is really worth thinking about. Sleep disorders don't only happen to those who are carrying extra weight. And, it isn't necessarily obvious that is your problem. Hopefully, your insurance will cover it.

As for the eating thing, you're right, start small. Too tired to cook? Been there. Plus, let's just say that my ability to turn out tasteful meals is extremely limited. Try protein bars and protein shakes. You don't have to use them forever, but, they might give you that extra juice you need while you are making those changes. Because I've been dieting, I did a lot of comparisons. PM me if you want the names of some that I found were actually quite good.

A rut could be it, too. Luckily, Spring is coming (sometime soon, please) and that will help make it easier to change your routine. It's a personal thing, but I find that just being able to get outside and do stuff can work wonders on my energy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

For vitamins, look here-

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/b...pplements.html

I notice now that when I eat processed, crap laden stuff I feel like crap. Even if I overeat with the good stuff (which I do, often!) I don't get the feeling like I could fall asleep standing. I do eat some wheat but am limiting most refined sugars to maybe a bagel thin (a platform for yummy good for you Adams peanut butter) or a fresh baked loaf that is thin cut.

I grabbed a burger from BK a few weeks ago and could not quite quench the resulting thirst and sluggishness too.

For me that eating is a rut, also, the dreary winters...well, most of the year round weather here LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

For the record, I no longer take Vitamins, Okay C and Zinc in the winter, that is all.
    Since I have been eating better, I am feeling the energy.
    Alagirl, I do not know what age you are but I am 55, went thru Menopause 5 years ago, Sleep was always an easy thing for me, ever since Menopause I do not need as many hours, 6 or 7 max. mostly 6. BUT I sometimes have trouble falling asleep which I never did my whole life. One of the many pleasures of the big M.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Hypothyroid, tick borne disease, celiac? Sounds like you need a good doctor who won't first chalk it up to "in the head" disease. However, could you be depressed? Do you get any exercise?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

No caffeine after 2 or 3 pm. It's one of the indignities of age, and it doesn't matter how old you are, that caffeine can really wire you up so you can't sleep. Vitamin D pills work very nicely for me. Get a Lyme test, because it can cause all types of things. Go to bed the same time every night, and have the alarm set for the same time 7 days a week. Regular sleep patterns really help. You don't have to get up if it's not a work day, but you have to set the alarm anyway. No afternoon naps, or you can't get to sleep at night. Three meals a day, and they don't have to be huge either. No sugary deserts close to night fall, or some people's blood sugar will plummet after and keep you awake. Make sure you're getting enough potassium-too little makes me tired. Is your bedroom dark? I had a bad problem sleeping at my previous house, because of car headlights from the neighbors, until I put black curtains between my regular curtains and the blinds (you put a spring rod behind the curtains on the same hooks, and just get cheap black curtains from Walmart or somewhere cheap). I have to put a jury rigged (a vinyl placemat -very dark) taped so I can put it over the DVD recorder, and otherwise it's like sleeping with a night light-it really bothered me, so I fixed it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I probably need a different alarm clock. I mean, I love it, it does not have that horrible siren sound that gives me physical pain...but it's like stadium lights...

Today the weather is not helping, somewhat overcast, it was stuffy and disgusting earlier, but it has started drizzling, and gotten cooler...the cats certainly are inclined to nap...

off to have some tea...green tea, no sugar.

I made a pot, will likely dump half...

just get off the internet and go outside! You don't have to post on every single thread on this forum... you will feel better. I promise!

4 members found this post helpful.

I am in a rut right now - bone weary and just want to sleep. DIfference is I know why. This is a result of winter starting in mid-October and it STILL being winter combined with very few sunny days from then to now. Nothing like looking out the window at the end of March and seeing monster drifts, and a deep covering of snow where the pasture is supposed to be then add to that sub-normal temps and it will make anyone feel out of sorts. To make it worse, MORE snow and cloud and gloom starting tonight and lasting a few days. Add to it the worry of the pending, hell with pending, guaranteed flooding, and it puts everyone into a huge funk. The whole thing was exacerbated by NOT being able to go anywhere for months - one shopping trip a month and running low on variety of eats didn't help either. Top it with almost daily snow pushing and it is a recipe for a deep funk and best and in some cases around here, depression.

I did try to eat properly through the mess and rediscovered making huge pans of stuff, portioning it out and nuking the leftovers to get some semblance of variety; my fave this winter was 2 cups browned ground beef, 2 cups of chopped peppers and 2 cups of instant rice (instant only because the whole thing took 20 minutes to cook that way)

Today, with the sun shining, I feel a bit perkier but still not quite right. Guess for me, it's just going to take until the huge amount of snow is gone and things have dried up.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

The first sign I had fibromyalgia was unrefreshing sleep. The pain came later.

hronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness
    Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy
    Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep
    Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long
    Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks ("fibro fog")
    Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome)
    Tension or migraine headaches
    Jaw and facial tenderness
    Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold
    Feeling anxious or depressed
    Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet
    Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder)
    Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
    A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet

I second the Lyme test. But take the results with a grain of salt. I test positive when I have Lyme but DH tests negative but his symptoms go away if he takes the doxycycline.

I have had a lot of luck with B-12 shot every 3 months. I started to need that after a few bouts of Lyme. Not sure why it helps because I don't test low. But it works, it is cheap and my doctor is willing to give it to me. It is about $16. So even if my insurance doesn't want to cover it then it won't break the bank.

The Lyme made me incredibly tired but gave me insomnia at the same time. Over the counter sleeping pills helped with the insomnia but I would still wake up tired. I only take a half dose of the pill so I don't wake up groggy. The B-12 seemed to take away fatigue. The antibiotics eventually helped get rid of the Lyme and the rest of the symptoms.

Good luck.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I would really suggest going to a psychiatrist (NOT a psychologist) and getting screened for chemical depression. This does NOT mean that you are "crazy." You may have a significant seratonin imbalance which can be fixed by a mild antidepressant, which are "selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors" - in other words, all they do is adjust your seratonin levels so you can sleep normally.

I take two very low-dose ones and I just call them my seratonin supplements. You may be able to take them for a couple months to kick your body into normal levels and then just go off them. Please consider it.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    just get off the internet and go outside! You don't have to post on every single thread on this forum... you will feel better. I promise!
    LOL, yes.

(but but but but....somebody on the internet is wrong!)

I actually have my word processor open, I am supposed tow rite something....

I was outside. got a bit fresh air and some daylight....

the lab tests I did have done came back normal...

back to the drawing board....

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I would really suggest going to a psychiatrist (NOT a psychologist) and getting screened for chemical depression. This does NOT mean that you are "crazy." You may have a significant seratonin imbalance which can be fixed by a mild antidepressant, which are "selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors" - in other words, all they do is adjust your seratonin levels so you can sleep normally.

I take two very low-dose ones and I just call them my seratonin supplements. You may be able to take them for a couple months to kick your body into normal levels and then just go off them. Please consider it.
    It's ok, I know I am crazy....but for unrelated reasons

Certainly worth looking into.