The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default new air jacket designs: USG Equiairbag

This comes from Germany, in two versions:

integrated Equiairbag

add-on Equiairbag

EquiAirbag® is activated by a special cable which is clipped onto the front right hand side of the saddle. As the horse rider is about to be unsaddled from the horse, the activating cable automatically activates EquiAirbag®. The horse rider is never tied to the horse. When EquiAirbag® is inflated, it is possible to move freely, go on riding, mount or dismount the horse and allows the rider to get up and move away from dangerous situations.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    This comes from Germany, in two versions:

integrated Equiairbag

add-on Equiairbag
    The recharge canisters are for something called a motoairbag.

Interesting concept. One suspects it needs some tweaks and it only costs 534 Euros for the integrated unit, but that one doesn't seem to include a regular protective vest for the front. The only protective vest that the addon fits costs an additional 107 Euros and the addon is still 534 Euros. One suspects the all in one unit would not be legal here.

I've watched the videos and the inflated bag goes from the top of the head to the base of the butt in the back.

So, JER, what does your EMT training think? RAyers, what do you think?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Do I understand correctly that it can't get wet? No riding in the rain and you can't put any garment over it ?

viney, I posted this without comment because I don't want to be accused of a 'witch hunt', as happens when I post about the PointTwo.

One thing I did notice in the show jumping video on the website -- the head/neck piece doesn't inflate until after her head hits the ground. You can see the flap swinging up after she hits.

The ripcord is still attached to the saddle, so I'm not clear on why they say you're never tied to the horse. This is no different from the P2/Hit Air, no?

This airbag doesn't provides any frontside airbaggage. From the videos, it seems that this is because it offers greater freedom of movement. I'm curious to know if there was any testing done that concluded that frontside torso airbags are not necessary or practical.

These garments seem to make the models very happy and smiley. Not sure how that relates to eventing safety, except that eventing happiness is always a good thing (but not a substitute for safety).

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you mean to imply that my grin won't pad my landing? Dangit...

I felt sorry for the horse that they used for the main fall because he was clearly set up to fall. But it did make the model smile.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    These garments seem to make the models very happy and smiley. Not sure how that relates to eventing safety, except that eventing happiness is always a good thing (but not a substitute for safety).
    Just FYI....I want to be happy and smiley and part of eventing happiness! But if they can't do it, what can, JER?

ROFLMAO....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

WTH happened to the horse in that video? Was it tripped or something?
    Click here before you buy.

The male rider whose horse spooks at the finish arch falls on his knees. The blow-up back protector did nothing at all for him except make him look silly when walking after his horse.

But now I'm thinking that maybe this vest would be a good accoutrement for a spectator at a big event. The sun's out, the air is warm, you have a few beers and you get a bit sleepy. So you inflate your own personal portable mattress and sack out under the trees.

One of the videos does claim this device is the product of years of research. I'd like to know more about that and less about how you can do smiley yoga poses while wearing it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oh, I really hope not.

That was a nasty fall for the horse. Why would anyone do that to a horse on purpose, possibly injuring him and destroying his confidence? Surely they didn't.

Well, I for one would love to have something like that.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    That's what I'm wondering too... It seems like that video was filmed specifically to show how the vest works and that it wasn't footage they just happened to catch of a horse falling at a clinic or show.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I just can't figure out what happened to it in the stride before the jump. If it was contrived, then shame on this company.
    Click here before you buy.

No, I don't think so. It looks like it was an unseen spot, then the horse wanted to go short and may have caught his bell boot or heel with hind foot, the front feet stick for some reason. The angle is bad, but there could have been a deep spot he wasn't prepared for that stuck his front feet in the ground.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

It looked to me like they might have deliberately buried the horse and then made him take off. But my eyes are very bad.

Well, first of all, the model (sans helmet) is HOT! Secondly, it looks like zee Chermans haff chumped auf den bandvagon on inflatable air vests Looks like they might be here to stay, with hopefully major improvements as they sloooowwwly evolve.