The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care

My 3 easy keepers get Special Care and my 2 other horses get the original Safe Choice. 1 of the horses on Safe Choice may be leaving next week, which would leave 3 on Special Care and 1 on Original.

Is there a reason NOT to feed a "normal" horse the Special Care? The horse only gets 1/2 scoop twice a day (about a pound a half twice a day.) The horse is 10 and in good weight and not a hard keeper at all. I feed a LOT of hay and as little grain as I can. It would just be easier to have one kind of grain.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Check the feeding rate on the Special Care. You are probably not feeding enough of it for your horses to be getting what they need vitamin and mineral wise. I would recommend a "lite" product like Triple Crown Lite, with a feeding rate of 3 lbs. per day or a ration balancer with a feeding rate of 1 lb. per day.

Biggest difference to my knowledge is the Special Care is low starch. I could see it being a problem if you have a horse that needs a low starch diet and instead giving them the Original formula, but vice versa I would think it would be fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with cutter - you're probably better of switching feeds altogether given you're feeding less than the recommended amount (and I am assuming you have a horse, not a pony ) If you can't get TC, you could try the Nutrena Empower Balance ration balancer, with maybe 1lb of something extra if necessary. Nutrena doesn't have a lite-type formula that I'm aware of, but that's the in-between option as said.

Hi Inca - We saw your question here, and thought we'd jump in to help. There is no reason at all for a "normal" horse to not eat SafeChoice Special Care. It's slightly lower in calories (and of course starch) than the Original.
    If your horse is maintaining well on 3 pounds total per day of the Original, then we would expect him to do very well on about the same amount of Special Care. Assuming he is around 1000 lbs, the minimum feeding rate per day is 2.5 pounds, so you are still within guidelines and he would be receiving the nutrients he needs.
    Hope this helps - let us know if you have any other questions! Thanks ~ Gina from Nutrena

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks. Since you are on here....

I have a VERY easy keeper who is around 1,400 pounds. She currently gets 1 pound of Special Care 2x per day, about 20 pound of grass hay and maybe a pound of alfalfa hay (as suggested by my vet to help prevent colic.)

Sounds like she is NOT getting enough grain to meet the minimum nutrients requirement. But, I also don't want her getting too fat. Is there a different product I could feed her for better results?

Why not switch her to the Empower Balance? Maybe 1.5lb for her size.

Hi Inca - Glad to help! JB is right on with the suggestion of Empower Balance. For a 1400 lb horse that isn't doing too much, the feeding rate range is 1.4 - 2.8 pounds per day. You could definitely go at the low end of that to avoid weight gain, and be in a much better place nutritionally with her than with the low amount of the SafeChoice Special Care right now.

As always, make sure to transition over a period of 5-7 days to avoid digestive upset, but you should see her do very well on the Empower Balance product. Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions! Thanks ~ Gina from Nutrena

Thanks - she actually gets ridden fairly regularly but is just a SUPER easy keeper. Big girl at almost 17hh, big boned and a size 3 shoe. (My trainer calls her a "plus sized model" - LOL.) Will look for the Empower Balance next time I am at the feed store. Probably good for my retired mare also who tends to be rather rotund.

Thanks again!

Hi Inca - That's too funny! Sounds like a great mare. Suggested feeding rate for Balance at "light work" is 2 - 3 lbs per day, and if you are doing 2 lbs per day of SafeChoice Special Care right now, then that would be a good transition to go right over to 2 lbs per day of Empower Balance. It's lower in calories per pound, so even at the same feeding rate, you will cut a few calories out!
    Thanks ~ Gina from Nutrena

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrena View Post
    Hi Inca - We saw your question here, and thought we'd jump in to help. There is no reason at all for a "normal" horse to not eat SafeChoice Special Care. It's slightly lower in calories (and of course starch) than the Original.
    I feed my "normal" horse the Special Care and she loves it. I like that it is lower and calories and has less starch. My mare is an easy keeper so this works well for her.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrena View Post
    Gina from Nutrena
    Love how this rhymes!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg