The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One Day in NYC- What's a MUST see??

I am traveling to NY at the end of April for my cousin's wedding. It's in Mahopac which I can see isn't *that* far from the city. We'll be flying in Weds afternoon and staying in the city until Friday am. What things are must see? I went to the city when I was a kid but I don't remember much. Help a girl out please!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Depends on what you like, honestly! You should definitely see Central Park, but besides that... it's really up to you as to what you like to do (museums? touristy things? food?) just a tip: Times Square is not worth it unless you're going to a show (which you can do half-price at the TKTS booth there). Otherwise it's just crowded and ridiculous.

Say hi to Michaelynn at the hack line in central park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Central Park via carriage ride! Definitely worth it.

*IF* you go to the Empire State building, watch the movie, it's very nicely done. OTOH, I wouldn't bother with the Empire State building at all if there's much of a line.
    Last edited by WoofNWhinny*; Mar. 30, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Poodles & Barrel Racers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I enjoyed the double decker red bus tours because you can get off and on as you please, the drivers announce what you're seeing and some city trivia. I did lower Manhattan which included Empire State Building, Ground Zero, SoHo, TriBeCa, FlatIron building, Battery Park, and many more interesting sites. Cost around $35 for a day pass.

Grand Central Station. Absolutely a landmark. The main lobby is breathtaking. Ground Zero, Times Square, Chinatown, walk 5th Ave. don't take the boat to the Statue of Liberty too time consuming. Take free Staten Island ferry over n back for the visual. Splurge on a great lunch, do your homework on chowhound and find something awesome. Have fun.
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

1 members found this post helpful.

My ideal day in NYC starts with grabbing a bagel for breakfast and sitting down on a bench in Central Park to eat it, then wandering over the Met for a few hours. Go have lunch somewhere, go wander through the Strand bookstore. Then maybe down to the Brooklyn Bridge, from whence you can pretty easily walk around the tip of Manhattan passing Fort Clinton for a view of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and see Ground Zero, ending up near Wall St/Trinity Church. I've been up the Empire State building around sunset, and the view that time of day is fabulous, but it's crowded and pricey. Grab dinner and a show, if that's your thing.

I always advise Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. Shorter lines, amazing views, cleaner.

If I had to pick one thing it would be Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

any NYCers?

I was told in another thread that since Sandy the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island were closed...are they back open?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I was told in another thread that since Sandy the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island were closed...are they back open?
    I heard that they were supposed to open before the 4th of July, so I'm assuming not yet.

Central Park,
    a musical or play (TKTS),
    Grand Central Station (great lunch places downstairs),
    Staten Island Ferry or a Circle Line or other boat cruise,
    reservations at a world-class restaurant - go to the French Culinary Institute if you don't want to spend $$$,
    WTC.

Waste of time: Times Square, Chinatown.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Head to the East Village and have breakfast at Tompkins Square Bagels. They have amazing bagels/breakfast sandwiches, etc. And bacon cream cheese. BACON. CREAM. CHEESE. If you want more of a "foodie" experience, Prune is great, in the Lower East Side, as is Stanton Social Club (I know Prune does brunch on the weekends, but I don't think they do early service during the week, so you could go for dinner) From there, depends on what you like. I'm most familiar with the EV, so most of my suggestions will reflect that.
    Shopping? Being a tourist? Other?
    Shopping- you can walk to Soho from the EV and there's some great shopping, and if you like chocolate, get yourself to Kees Chocolates!
    Being a tourist- if the weather is good, from the subway in the EV, it's only 2 stops to the Brooklyn Bridge, you can walk across and then hit Grimaldi's for pizza. Otherwise, as others suggested, Top of the Rock is great, as is MoMA.
    Other- Try the Turkish Baths or anything else that strikes your fancy. Highly recommend the cheap massage places for a 30 minute foot massage after a day of walking around the city. If you do happen to end up in the EV, the Big Gay Ice Cream Shop is a must.

I would avoid Times Square at all costs, but it is "the" touristy place, so if that's what you are looking for, then go for it. I'd rather rub lemon juice in my paper cuts.

The Frick Collection, right by Central Park (1 East 70th Street
    New York, NY 10021
    Phone: 212-288-0700)
    Excellent collection of art in a beautiful historic site. The courtyard was once used as a riding arena. Just imagine...
    Events are also held there: concerts, lectures, symposia, etc.
    A bit of info:
    "The Frick Collection is housed in the former Henry Clay Frick House, which was designed by Thomas Hastings and constructed in 1913-1914. John Russell Pope altered and enlarged the building in the early 1930s to adapt it to use as a public institution. It opened to the public on December 16, 1935. The Frick was built at a time when almost every building on Fifth Avenue above 59th Street was a private mansion, with a few private clubs and a hotel. Amidst this wealth, Henry Clay Frick's home was among the most opulent, with private gardens both on the avenue front and in an interior courtyard.
    The Frick is one of the preeminent small art museums in the US, with a high-quality collection of old master paintings and fine furniture housed in 6 galleries within the formerly occupied residential mansion. Many of the paintings are still arranged according to Frick's design.
    The collection features some of the best-known paintings by major European artists, as well as numerous works of sculpture and porcelain. It also has 18th century French furniture, Limoges enamel, and Oriental rugs.[1] After Frick's death, his daughter, Helen Clay Frick, expanded the collection, with a third of its art works acquired since 1919. The Frick also oversees the nearby Frick Art Reference Library."

Definitely contact Michaleenflynn regarding a carriage ride in Central Park and maybe even a tour of the stables. Also the Metropolitan Museum of Art (currently an exhibit of Impressionist artists), the Guggenheim Museum and also the National Museum of Natural History (love that place).
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

2 members found this post helpful.

the last remaining tack shop in nyc is on 24th i think? is it still even there?!
    well if it is i like to people watch in there-amazing the nyc people who ride!
    after that a stroll to la petite auberge on 26th for a long boozy lunch and amazing european service and food, really a lovely dining experience.
    and for something really different head over to i trulli for wine tasting at the bar.
    they have bar menus for olives, cheeses and sausages to sample---super fun and delicious!

If you can get tickets to the play "sleep no more" do go spent one of your nights at that. It's a mash up of Hitchcock and Macbeth and its amazing. The actors are all professionally trained dancers and you follow them around the set, which is a 5 story warehouse with over 100 immaculately detailed rooms. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen and we have gone back about 6 times each time bringing out of town friends who do not stop raving about it for days. If you do go, wear something comfortable you will be running up and down a lot of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    We'll be flying in Weds afternoon and staying in the city until Friday am. !
    gee , and attend a wedding?... might only to get to see the airport...looks like Wednesday evening and maybe Thrusday some

The tack shop in NYC is not worth the visit.

Have you been to the city before? That always informs my recommendations. Even then, I don't think Times Square, Top of the Rock, etc., are necessarily worth it. What do you like? Art? Outdoors? Food? You gotta give us a little more to work with.

Sotheby's.

Not to buy (unless you're ready to spend some serious cash), but to wander around and look at the items that will be going up for auction. Even if you don't have two nickles to rub together, you'll feel richer than Donald Trump just being there inspecting the gorgeous furniture, equestrian art by some of the great English, French and American sporting artists (major swoon!), jewelry and high class items. It's free, too - just walk in the door.