The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wilson College - angry and sad - she's gone co-ed

The current administration and BOD made the decision to turn Wilson College co-ed.

I'm both saddened and angered by this. It was done in a back-door, underhanded way. I, and many alumnae, feel this is not in the best interest of the school and we are fighting it as we can.

What was once a special, unique school is now just a commonplace campus amongst many others - Shippensburg, Dickenson, Penn State Mont Alto, Gettysburg just to name a few.

I don't know that I really have much to say to generate a thread - guess I'm just venting. But if you support womens' colleges, please email the school and let them know.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

out oldest daughter went to Randolph-Macon Woman's College ...which went co-ed a few years ago.... many of the alumni have now transferrd their support to Sweet Briar College ...which is where our grand daughters will attend.

Bummer to hear this.

Wilson was one of the colleges I seriously considered in high school. Wilson, Randolph-Macon Women's College, Hollins University, and Sweet Briar College were my top 4.

I ended up choosing Sweet Briar and am a proud alumnae. But now half that list has gone co-ed. There is something to be said for the quality of education at women's colleges. I am glad I got the opportunity.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    There is something to be said for the quality of education at women's colleges. I am glad I got the opportunity.
    our daughter at 26 was made head training officer for a pharmaceutical company; her education at RMWC was exceptional... the day she walked into the phram company's lab she had to point to them that they were calibrating the test equipment incorrectly

As a relatively-recent graduate of a women's college (Bryn Mawr), I wouldn't change my experience for anything. I didn't start out looking for a women's college, but it ended up being the perfect fit for me. It's always sad to see that tradition lost.

Proud women's college alumna (Hollins) and I know Hollins has been having it's issues lately with drops in enrollment and such. Such a pity - my education there was excellent and I adore my Professors beyond anything. It's served me well currently in grad school (and I got into ever school I applied).

Love, love all women's colleges. Seen so many girls blossom there and benefit from the environment in ways that a co-ed college just can't nurture.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    out oldest daughter went to Randolph-Macon Woman's College ...which went co-ed a few years ago.... many of the alumni have now transferrd their support to Sweet Briar College ...which is where our grand daughters will attend.
    I also went to R-MWC and am sad that the all-women tradition has been lost. Although I do understand the decision behind it.

I never intended to go to a woman's college, but I wouldn't trade the experiencefor anything!

Why did they decide to go co-Ed? Was there a drop in applicants? Falling enrollment? As an alum of a women's college (MHC), this is sad to hear.

I work at a single-sex undergrad, coed for graduate college. The financial challenges are HUGE for undergrad. I can quote you statistics that are frightening. Out of all high school girls applying to college, only SEVEN PERCENT will even CONSIDER a women's school. And out of that seven percent, only TWO PERCENT end up going to one.
    Your school is bent on financial survival. If they don't go coed, they might very well go out of business. Higher education in the United States is going through massive changes right now. The smaller schools really may not survive unless they start innovating.

Don't be angry at your school. Give them more money so they can attract better students.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    Why did they decide to go co-Ed? Was there a drop in applicants? Falling enrollment? As an alum of a women's college (MHC), this is sad to hear.
    In RMWC's case the enrollment has fallen about 30% since it went co-ed from the 700s to about 500

The school does have an endowment of about $135 million so it isn't going anywhere soon but it will be without our grand kids

Just googled it. Wilson is in very dire financial straits. I'm sorry to hear this but if they don't enlarge the student pool they will not survive at all. My sister went to a small women's college that had to close when they weren't able to survive even by going coed for the last few years.

Clanter's point about the endowment is very good. MHC has a huge endowment from alums. Quite a bit of a college's strength is in the strength of giving by alums.
    Last edited by Bells; Mar. 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Darn auto correct..

Clanter's point about the endowment is very good. MHC has a huge endowment from alums. Quite a bit of a college's strength is in the strength of giving by alums.
    I feel like some of the all women's colleges struggling for enrollment could easily make themselves stand out and attract new women. Especially the ones with big endowments.
    Look internationally.
    Be more free with scholarships and grants (actually work with the students in times of crisis and need).
    Cater to diversity - target first generation and/or low-income students who want to go to college but can't afford it (see again: scholarships).
    Be LGBT friendly.
    I feel like these steps would go a long way in both attracting students and building a dedicated alumnae body. Especially with the rising cost of college.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I work at a single-sex undergrad, coed for graduate college. The financial challenges are HUGE for undergrad.

What is your school's graduation rate within four years? Most of the woman colleges graduate nearly 100% of the retained students in four years, not the five, six or seven years of the public universities' rate.... so the cost is less to attend a private womans college than public university

2 members found this post helpful.

Just googled it. Wilson is in very dire financial straits. I'm sorry to hear this but if they don't enlarge the student pool they will not survive at all. My sister went to a small women's college that had to close when they weren't able to survive even by going coed for the last few years.
    The president is speaking out of both sides of her mouth. First she said the decision was based because of the huge debt, then in an interview on public radio she stated the debt was not unreasonable or unmanageable.

It's not the debt. Wilson is tuition-dependent. It does not have a high enough endowment to spin off operating revenue. They have a 66% retention rate, which is abysmal. Don't blame the president or the trustees. It is the United States 2013 educational status. You are not looking at the facts. If it does not go coed, it will close. Do you want to be an alumna of a school that no longer exists, or one which has a chance of survival if it admits male students?

http://http://colleges.usnews.rankin...n-college-3396

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    The president is speaking out of both sides of her mouth. First she said the decision was based because of the huge debt, then in an interview on public radio she stated the debt was not unreasonable or unmanageable.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    What is your school's graduation rate within four years? Most of the woman colleges graduate nearly 100% of the retained students in four years, not the five, six or seven years of the public universities' rate.... so the cost is less to attend a private womans college than public university
    My school has a 91% retention rate and we are making ends meet. Wilson College's retention is 66%. The OP is delusional if she thinks it can remain viable without going coed.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyIsles View Post
    I feel like some of the all women's colleges struggling for enrollment could easily make themselves stand out and attract new women. Especially the ones with big endowments.
    Look internationally.
    Be more free with scholarships and grants (actually work with the students in times of crisis and need).
    Cater to diversity - target first generation and/or low-income students who want to go to college but can't afford it (see again: scholarships).
    Be LGBT friendly.
    I feel like these steps would go a long way in both attracting students and building a dedicated alumnae body. Especially with the rising cost of college.
    Where are these schools going to get the money to offer scholarships and grants? The endowments collapsed in the stock market crash of 1990 and have still not recovered. The interest rate on our endowments is around 2.5%. Schools have stopped soliciting gifts to their endowments because there is no return. The focus on giving is now current-use money to support financial aid RIGHT NOW.
    It is frustrating as an education professional to read these sorts of comments. The general population does not understand the tuition vs. cost vs. endowment numbers that are RIGHT NOW. The entire scope of American higher education is changing drastically. In ten years it will not even resemble the "college experience" of the early 1980s. The four-year liberal arts schools are scrambling to reorganize themselves to remain viable for the next twenty years. Online learning, part-time students, and reduced financial aid are realities that will not go away.

People who complain that their colleges are "different" from when they attended fifteen years ago need to pay attention to what is happening in higher education now. It is a whole new ballgame.

Guin, one of the issues is that this was done without valid research, without any attempt at marketing the school as a women's college, and straight out lies and misderection. There is now nothing special about the school. It's just another co-ed liberal arts school amongst a crowd.

President Mistick stated she was committted to keeping Wilson a women's college, then went back on her word without making any effort.

Wilson has serious hurdles to overcome with regards to recruiting students, be they male or female. The library is closed because the pipes leak, dorms are in disrepair, the pool has been unusable for years. The farm, the barns and arenas, and the new science center are about all the college has going for it with regards to facilities. The admissions department has been pretty poor about actively recruiting students, or even contacting prospective students who have expressed interest and would like more information or to arrange a tour. Making the decision to go co-ed without addressing the college's many issues is like slapping a band-aid on a filthy, infected wound and saying, there, that will make it all better.