The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Betadine turning into a solid mass in hot water?

This has happened to me a few times now. I'm soaking my horse's foot right now, and when I prepare the soaking mixture I put a layer of epsom salts in the bucket, then add very hot (almost boiling) water, then pour in some betadine (or generic povidone iodine 10% solution).

The last few times, the betadine has formed into a gunky mass with about the consistency of taffy and floated on the top, along with beading up in small flecks on the sides of the bucket. If I swish it around it dissolves, but slooooowly. Some of it is mixing in, because the water is tinting, but not all of it, and I have to scrub out the bucket with hot water to clean it out.

Is this a cold betadine / hot water problem, like adding eggs to a hot mixture? Is it interacting with the epsom salts in some weird way? Has anyone ever seen this?
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kerlin View Post
    This has happened to me a few times now. I'm soaking my horse's foot right now, and when I prepare the soaking mixture I put a layer of epsom salts in the bucket, then add very hot (almost boiling) water, then pour in some betadine (or generic povidone iodine 10% solution).

The last few times, the betadine has formed into a gunky mass with about the consistency of taffy and floated on the top, along with beading up in small flecks on the sides of the bucket. If I swish it around it dissolves, but slooooowly. Some of it is mixing in, because the water is tinting, but not all of it, and I have to scrub out the bucket with hot water to clean it out.

Is this a cold betadine / hot water problem, like adding eggs to a hot mixture? Is it interacting with the epsom salts in some weird way? Has anyone ever seen this?
    Yes, I have seen this in warm water mostly. Not sure what causes it specifically, but I don't believe I've ever experienced it with betadine scrub. That may make the difference.

I wish I'd paid closer attention..

I've never seen it happen, but now I want to go out and try it, scientific experiment style!

Perhaps diluting the betadine in luke warm water before adding it to the hot epsom salt soak would prevent the coagulation

It is reacting with the epsom salts. This happened to me the last time I was treating an abscess.

Yep, Betadine + epsom salts + warm water= funky brown gunk

It probably is reacting with the epsom salt, but it could be the temperature of the water too.
    PVP-I is completely soluble in cold and mild-warm water
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povidone-iodine
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Does the same thing happen when you combine the betadine with hot water with no epsom salts present? The Wikipedia article cited in post #6 notes that it is soluble in cold and warm water, but nothing about hot. Maybe something odd happens with the hot water.

If it only happens in the presence of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) my hypothesis would be that either the povidone compound is forming an insoluble complex with either the magnesium or the sulfate or the magnesium sulfate is making the water less hospitable for the povidone ("salting out").
    The Evil Chem Prof

Weird! I've never had that happen, but I have always mixed it up with burning hot water and then let it cool some before putting the horse's hoof in. Also, I have no idea if this makes a difference, but I have always put the epsom salts in a bucket, squirted betadine on top, and then added water.

However, depending on what you are soaking for, might want to ask your vet about trying something else. I haven't soaked much in the last few years, because my vet now more often recommends wrapping the hoof up with epsom salt poultice in the diaper, which gives the same drawing effect but for much longer than soaking for 20 minutes. I fortunately haven't had enough abscesses to tell you with certainty that it is more effective, but it does seem like they resolve faster (and my horses are very excited to not be forced to stand in a soaking bucket).