The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping w/ Pods or other container company?

I am anticipating a big move next year.

Has anyone ever used a container moving company like Pods? Please tell me your stories, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I have not used Pods as they gave me the most expensive quote for a cross-country move, but I did use Door-To-Door (same concept, different company) and they were fantastic. My situation was a nightmare in that I planned on hauling my stuff out myself with a UHaul hooked to my car, but my car had different plans and I had to arrange a shipping crate in a span of 24hours - Door-To-Door quoted me $1500 from MA to OR, and Pods quoted me $3500.

You can arrange for the literal door to door service, but I saved a lot of money by bringing my things/picking it up at their actual stations. So if you get a wild quote, inquire about dropoff and pickup at their locations and see if it helps the price.

When I packed up the box/crate thing, I put my own personal padlock on the box so they have no access to your stuff. Everything arrived on the other coast exactly as I had left it, and that's saying something considering how poorly I had packed things in my rush to get going!

I'm planning another large-ish move this summer, and I'll most likely be moving my things the same way as opposed to driving it all in a UHaul or the like - pricewise/peace of mind-wise, it's worth it. The only downside for me in my last move was that I made it to my destination almost a week before my stuff did, so I was sleeping on a deflated air mattress (cats...claws...) until my bed got to me.

UHaul also offers the same service that Pod does, usually for much better prices as well. So there's another company to look into for a price quote.

1 members found this post helpful.

When I moved from ri to ky I used abf. It only cost just over $500 to rent space on a tractor trailer. Uhaul was $1500 just for the truck and pods was over $2000

This is a very useful thread. I need to move a bunch of stuff from my parents' former home in MN to NC sometime in the next few months and my experience with quotes to have a small load of stuff sent a year ago was all over the map.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Very timely! We're moving from TN to Columbia SC this summer, and I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible to save some cash for renovations. Good information so far, thanks!

I have, it wasn't "pods" but it was the same concept. I needed to move some things from my Mother's home to mine 1,200 miles away. They had different container sizes, so I picked a medium one (I'm not sure if that was the size but it wasn't a small one either), they dropped it within 2 days and I had several days to load it up. It was waterproof so didn't have to worry and it was also carried inside a semi trailer. You do need to provide a heavy duty padlock to secure your belongings. Packing it was simple, you have to be mindful of things shifting. I ended up having a bunch of extra room. Called them to pick it up, they show up, you don't even have to be there, it was loaded and actually got to my destination before I did. Once I got back home they had called and said it was there, so I arranged a day for them to drop it at my house, again you don't have to be home, it was dropped and you have 2 or 3 days to unload it and then they pick it up. It went very smoothly and I would use this method again if I was moving. Cost was around $2,500. Not cheap but worth it as it was stress free. I'm sure a rental van is far cheaper but driving for me was not an option. You do have to provide your boxes and packing materials and the padlock.

Anyone used one of these for an overseas move?

It's good you're doing some homework as Pods has gotten some negative reviews. (There may be positive reviews too but I couldn't find them). In my case because it was an in-town move we opted for storage units.

Pods isn't the only company that does this with shipping containers, so price around with other people who service your area. Make sure the HOA rules allow this on either end if you have an HOA. Local and national moving companies will supply packing/unpacking for shipping containers too, and many locals are by the hour. The cheapest source of cardboard boxes I've found is at Lowes. You can get used some places, but I like new ones, and some shipping places will really charge a bundle for used or new boxes.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Excellent info to store for future reference!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I've used PODS - they are expensive.
    I used to go to the grocery stores and ask them for apple boxes - it takes some time to collect them but if you plan far enough ahead - you can do it.

Thank you all!

I had heard that Pods didn't have a great rep. I was unaware that U-Haul had a similar service, and I will be looking in to Door-to-Door.

Has anyone purchased a container and then converted it later.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    Anyone used one of these for an overseas move?
    My stepson and his family did, which is how I learned about one interesting danger of using container shipping for overseas moves....they do fall off the ship.
    At sea.
    And there is no way to recover them once they do.

The containers are coupled together on the ships, but are "weak" enough to give way if things shift enough on high seas to prevent the cargo from threatening the ship. Should your container be one of those on the side, you could be in danger of losing your belongings. Google it, you'll be amazed at how often it happens (I was, I thought my SS was pulling my leg when he called). Often the containers are inventory items so insurance pays and it's not heard of by the general population.

I would suggest NOT shipping unreplaceable items in them: paperwork, items with very significant sentimental value, etc. And make sure that you have a good inventory of everything in them, with documentation of some sort; you will have to prove to the insurance company what was in it if it is over their value estimate, which may be based on weight.

My SS and his family lost everything overboard; no sentimental items, not furniture, no clothes other than what they had in suitcases, no kids toys, no trinkets, nada. Replacing everything you own can be quite expensive, and heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    My SS and his family lost everything overboard; no sentimental items, not furniture, no clothes other than what they had in suitcases, no kids toys, no trinkets, nada. Replacing everything you own can be quite expensive, and heartbreaking.
    WOW, this is good to know. I'm sorry this happened to your stepson! Yeah, if all the stars align, I will be moving overseas again. So I'd like to bring furniture etc this time.

Maybe should be a side topic but I'll start here.

SO and I are both no longer spring chickens coupled with bad back. The idea of the self pack style of moving is very appealing from a cost perspective but thoughts on where to get help to pack and load the heavier items???

Not many friends or families to rely on to help.

TIA!

PS - we will not be moving locally which is why ABF etc is appealing (moving about 1000 miles) but will need help with packing and loading/unloading the heavier items...
    Last edited by Where'sMyWhite; Mar. 31, 2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: for clarity

I have done 7 "self" moves in the past 9 years, so I think I've got the hang of it.

DH and I have both done several cross-country moves with ABF http://www.upack.com/ and have been very pleased each time. You pay only for the space you actually use, and in all cases it has worked out to be MUCH cheaper than one of the Pod-like container companies. ABF is also usually cheaper than renting a U-Haul for long distance moves, plus you don't have to worry about driving the truck (and maybe towing your car).

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    Maybe should be a side topic but I'll start here.

SO and I are both no longer spring chickens coupled with bad back. The idea of the self pack style of moving is very appealing from a cost perspective but thoughts on where to get help to pack and load the heavier items???

Not many friends or families to rely on to help.

TIA!
    Often you can actually find small, local, legitimate, insured moving companies on Craigslist. Get your quote, and investigate carefully before booking. Some are better than others, but we've had pretty good luck in several different areas. Many of our moves have been in/near college towns, and it seems like each has at least one company that likes to employ young, strong college students. IME, they have always been polite and very good workers! Don't be afraid to ask questions while getting your quote (minimum charges, liability, hourly rate, etc.) and do your homework online to check out the company. Angie's list often has great reviews for moving companies, and on the free side Yelp and Google Reviews can also be useful.

No matter how you do it, moving is never really fun. Good luck!
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

Where'sMyWhite, you can call your local fire department. Many time they have guys who will come to do heavy lifting on their off time to make some extra cash.
    www.ctannerjensen.com

How maneuvarable are these things & the trucks that carry them?

My mom passed away recently, & we have to remove a lot of stuff from her home in NY & bring it down here to VA. Mom's access is okay, but our drive is uphill dirt/gravel with limited turnaround.

The big tractor-trailer that delivered our fencing & barn lumber made it in & out okay, but I'm still sort of ootzy about it.