The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Case in point.... exactly what I was talking about.
    Thanks Bluey.
    Exactly, you don't have an answer, because your side doesn't when the truth if these battles is on the table, that is obvious.

Fairfax, out of curiousity, how does one go about "volunteering" at Bouvry? Do you just ring them up and say "hey, I want to come watch some slaughter" , do they run a check on applicants to make sure they are not affiliated with any RARA's? If I ring up the plant now, will they put me in contact with the volunteer coordinator?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Fairfax, out of curiousity, how does one go about "volunteering" at Bouvry? Do you just ring them up and say "hey, I want to come watch some slaughter" , do they run a check on applicants to make sure they are not affiliated with any RARA's? If I ring up the plant now, will they put me in contact with the volunteer coordinator?
    Our group was originally set up by a person who was involved with the Horse Industry Branch. That department shut down however by word of mouth it continued to grow.

We had to submit to a security check with the R.C.M.P.

We offered to try and help the Ontario slaughter plant set up a similar program. It is hard for a company as the number of threats against volunteers has been high. We were tracked by our license plate numbers and one lady who was a volunteer was "outed" at her childrens school.

Having read your posts I don't think you would be a candidate who would be of value to any program.

If you are serious I would suggest you approach them with the names of individuals who would be willing to be OBSERVERS (that is all we were) and you also have to understand it takes a long time before trust comes into play.

The Rara's proclaim they are there just to watch..but they start to present incorrect information to the media stating they are there ...so therefore there is usually a confidentiality form to sign and have registered by the courts.

We saw our opportunity in watching and making suggestions.

We NEVER interffered with employees. We scheduled organized meetings with the plant manager and changes were implemented.

I had a long history within the horse community as did others I was with.

My history dated back to my teens in the 60's

So let me get this straight, you "observed", you did not volunteer, as you have stated over and over? Not trying to be petty, but there is a difference in the meaning of those words. How long ago did your observations take place? I may have missed where you posted it, I usually just briefly skim over your posts.....I guess times are very slow over at the doggy day care, eh.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

3 members found this post helpful.

So let me get this straight, you "observed", you did not volunteer, as you have stated over and over? Not trying to be petty, but there is a difference in the meaning of those words. How long ago did your observations take place? I may have missed where you posted it, I usually just briefly skim over your posts.....I guess times are very slow over at the doggy day care, eh.
    What did you think he did?
    Shoot the horses in the head, then bleed them, then skin them, etc.?

Yes, it is an unpaid endeavor, such making it voluntary...

but I guess your question on how to go about it was not sincere...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Fairfax What year did you observe.. I ask because of the Bouvery report they did in 2010. They observed and commented on about 1oo horses.
    I think I maybe wrong Temple Grandin was involved.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    What did you think he did?
    Shoot the horses in the head, then bleed them, then skin them, etc.?

Yes, it is an unpaid endeavor, such making it voluntary...

but I guess your question on how to go about it was not sincere...
    What?
    Leo keeps throwing it out there that no one has come on up to Canada to see for themselves what it's like in Bouvry, so the question on how to go about it is legit.
    As for you, get back in the kitchen, I think your pot of grease is about to catch fire..
    is replaced with: listen hun, perhaps you should get a pwetty pownie of your own.......to you know, kill some time with.
    ― Anna Sewell

4 members found this post helpful.

I may be way off the mark here, but this looks like Canada has a good regulatory thing going. Even has a way to contact this agency.
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/con.../1363482974205
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

What?
    Leo keeps throwing it out there that no one has come on up to Canada to see for themselves what it's like in Bouvry, so the question on how to go about it is legit.
    As for you, get back in the kitchen, I think your pot of grease is about to catch fire..
    Seriously that is so uncalled for, And you want to have a civil conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Seriously that is so uncalled for, And you want to have a civil conversation?
    Oh, so sorry, I'll edit it with a response of the type of thing alagirl would say
    ― Anna Sewell

3 members found this post helpful.

You appear to be playing 13 year old school girl semantics games.

I volunteered to go in as an OBSERVER. I have documented on many threads what we did..what we did NOT do...how we were able to get small changes made that lead to bigger ones.

I was there "at my own expense" two hour drive each way one day per week along with 4 others from our group. There were other individuals there on kill days.

We had a very good and sound working relationship with no amnosity unlike that which you project with almost every post. That is why you would not be acceptable ..in my mind...as you are unable to be objective and you reduce everything down to a dog fight..playing games.

Fairfax What year did you observe.. I ask because of the Bouvery report they did in 2010. They observed and commented on about 1oo horses.
    I think I maybe wrong Temple Grandin was involved.
    I was there for four years and quit two years ago. There were many many changes during that time and I also know that Temple Grandin had nothing but good things to say about the co-operation.

I have never met her however did speak with her on one occasion by phone.

I do not agree with much of what Temple states not only about slaughter here but also south as she does say things loosly that are then misquoted...i.e. building proper slaughter plants in the U.S. would be too expensive ...

However I do admire much of what she has done...and the bottom line is to "help the horse get dead" in the quickest and most humane manner.

The Ft plant demonstrats improvements can be made and have a great success. There is, like any business...always room for improvement...but then i tend to be a business person who is also a realist.

Nothing is going to be perfect...but that is what we have to aim for.

So why is it so bloody hard to get to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I was there for four years and quit two years ago. There were many many changes during that time and I also know that Temple Grandin had nothing but good things to say about the co-operation.

I have never met her however did speak with her on one occasion by phone.

I do not agree with much of what Temple states not only about slaughter here but also south as she does say things loosly that are then misquoted...i.e. building proper slaughter plants in the U.S. would be too expensive ...

However I do admire much of what she has done...and the bottom line is to "help the horse get dead" in the quickest and most humane manner.

The Ft plant demonstrats improvements can be made and have a great success. There is, like any business...always room for improvement...but then i tend to be a business person who is also a realist.

Nothing is going to be perfect...but that is what we have to aim for.

1 members found this post helpful.

FYI it was just on the Seattle KOMO news channel that it has been suggested that dogs be eaten as well. Some countries also eat dog.
    I did not catch who suggested it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    You appear to be playing 13 year old school girl semantics games.

I volunteered to go in as an OBSERVER. I have documented on many threads what we did..what we did NOT do...how we were able to get small changes made that lead to bigger ones.

I was there "at my own expense" two hour drive each way one day per week along with 4 others from our group. There were other individuals there on kill days.

We had a very good and sound working relationship with no amnosity unlike that which you project with almost every post. That is why you would not be acceptable ..in my mind...as you are unable to be objective and you reduce everything down to a dog fight..playing games.
    Oh hey, I NEVER claimed that I would want to be a volunteer observer, I am the first to admit I could never do it. My questions are purely hypothetical. How does someone get into the plants to observe? Again, sorry, I simply do not have enough hours in the day to read and every single word you have posted. As for playing games, you, Sir, are one to talk.....
    Based on your posts, I certainly don't think you have anything conducive to add as far as making slaughter more humane for horses. You fancy yourself a good 'ole western boy, but all you do is brow beat and insult those with different opinions than yours. Watch your blood pressure, I can sense through your words that yours is on the rise
    Last edited by up-at-5; Apr. 8, 2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: adding comments
    ― Anna Sewell

Oh hey, I NEVER claimed that I would want to be a volunteer observer, I am the first to admit I could never do it. My questions are purely hypothetical. How does someone get into the plants to observe? Again, sorry, I simply do not have enough hours in the day to read and every single word you have posted.
    so, you just troll....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    so, you just troll....
    yeah, right.....

I could be like you, and post silly one-liners on each and every thread.....

I work full time, and have a hobby farm with 7 horses living there, as well as one horse out on winter board. By the time I do morning chores, put in an eight hour day at work, commute to the barn for a ride, get home, cook a decent meal for the family, do evening chorses and ride the horses at home, the only time I really have to "troll" as you say, is when I am at work and between clients. Unlike yourself, I can't afford to stay at home and not work, and as such, my internet time is limited.
    ― Anna Sewell

I may be way off the mark here, but this looks like Canada has a good regulatory thing going. Even has a way to contact this agency.
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/con.../1363482974205
    I am interested to know in what way you think these Canadian regulations differ from the regulations we had in the US?

If the worldwide market for horsemeat goes away, slaughter-for-meat will, too.

This has no effect on whether slaughter-for-other products at the current live horse purchase prices would grow to fill the void. Any time there is a resource available at very low cost, the viable end price that will deliver a profit drops as well.

If not slaughter and processing with SOME end, what method of absorption is viable for excess horses?

Excess horses being those that, for whatever reason, the current owners choose not to pay for future upkeep costs and try to move the horse to another owner; and where there are no ‘home type’ purchasers.
    Currently we appear to have over 100,000 annually minimum, not counting the 600,000+ that expire annually outside of the slaughter industry.

If the horses truly have no place to continue to live successfully, how should they die and what should happen to the carcass? And I realize it is not realistic to expect every horse owner to be capable of shooting their horse.

What notice, if any, and time frame, if any, should a terminal owner (expects to shortly kill the horse) be required to give before killing it?

As an example, sales of seized property, foreclosures, etc. are required to be posted in legal papers to give interested parties the choice to bid, buy or legally block…

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    If the worldwide market for horsemeat goes away, slaughter-for-meat will, too.

This has no effect on whether slaughter-for-other products at the current live horse purchase prices would grow to fill the void. Any time there is a resource available at very low cost, the viable end price that will deliver a profit drops as well.

If not slaughter and processing with SOME end, what method of absorption is viable for excess horses?

Excess horses being those that, for whatever reason, the current owners choose not to pay for future upkeep costs and try to move the horse to another owner; and where there are no ‘home type’ purchasers.
    Currently we appear to have over 100,000 annually minimum, not counting the 600,000+ that expire annually outside of the slaughter industry.

If the horses truly have no place to continue to live successfully, how should they die and what should happen to the carcass? And I realize it is not realistic to expect every horse owner to be capable of shooting their horse.

What notice, if any, and time frame, if any, should a terminal owner (expects to shortly kill the horse) be required to give before killing it?

As an example, sales of seized property, foreclosures, etc. are required to be posted in legal papers to give interested parties the choice to bid, buy or legally block…
    Remember, keep your eye on the ball, the purpose of this ban is to work toward's eliminating ANY use of horses by humans, eventually of all animals.

No need to worry about what to do if there is no slaughter or any other use for dead horses, because horses as the domestic animals they are and all we use them for will be extinct, if certain groups keep having a free hand in determining how the rest of us get to live.

Like a card carrying member of the HSUS told us right here on COTH in one of these debates, "the world would better off without humans, so no animal ever would then be abused".