The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 648
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2011
    Location
    Southern Pines, NC
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Hey Jenm, now you have a group too! That's you, me and Angela. Anyone else want to join the commie, socialist, vegan (did I leave anything out) RARAs?

    Comrade readers of the communist, vegan Toronto Star (the most widely read paper in Canada, by the way) unite!

    Comrade Laura
    Can I join if I actually am a vegan? I swear I'm not a crazy one...!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    No, that thread was closed down because Bluey told a big old whopper and got called on it by everyone on that thread (except you and Alagirl) including some posters who originally joined the thread supporting slaughter as an option. Bluey kept insisting that she was right and then started complaining that people were calling her names and suddenly...thread locked.
    I know you are making that up, because Bluey doesn't name call.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    4,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Hey Jenm, now you have a group too! That's you, me and Angela. Anyone else want to join the commie, socialist, vegan (did I leave anything out) RARAs?

    Comrade readers of the communist, vegan Toronto Star (the most widely read paper in Canada, by the way) unite!

    Comrade Laura
    Yay me!

    Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Can I join if I actually am a vegan? I swear I'm not a crazy one...!
    Welcome to my group, Comrade Ginger!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I know you are making that up, because Bluey doesn't name call.
    ? Sounded like the post said that people were calling Bluey names. Bluey only calls everyone who disagrees RARAs.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

    Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2008
    Location
    Ottawa,Ontario
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I know you are making that up, because Bluey doesn't name call.

    Read much?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell


    7 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb. 15, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    7,740

    Default

    Fairfax, you blabber on... Belinda has nothing to do with the race horses, so your mention of her shows how much you know... you just want to blabber... and Stronach has one of the best retraining programs there is in the industry. Many other race horses owners should follow their example. Even 2 owners removed, they still tried to get the horse back. You would not bother with that, would you?

    And whether you like the Star or not, at least, they researched the story. Something your "other good papers - in your opinion" would not bother to do! I thanked them for writing this article.

    I live next to the auction and I know the shady characters that are there all the time. Some buyers are decent, others ... well, they must be your friends!

    Sometimes, all it takes is a phone call to people involved with the horse previously. It takes guts and it may mean leaving pride at the door. I am grateful that the owner of a horse we love(d) realized she cannot keep him and has called for help. We are in the process of getting him for a guaranteed retirement... loved. We may have to readjust our budget, but he deserves it! I wish others would do the same thing!

    And don't start on the CFIA track record. You too obviously are drinking the koolaid!


    14 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    ? Sounded like the post said that people were calling Bluey names. Bluey only calls everyone who disagrees RARAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Read much?
    No, I actually gave up on reading 99% of what you guys 'contribute'

    because it's straight out of PETA/HSUS manuals.

    it's a boot you are eager to slip on and try for size and walk a few miles in, for good measure. Then you are upset when you are being called out on it.

    Sorry, Ladies...you are the ones who cannot restrain themselves from personal digs, Bluey has in the years and 26k posts that I know of never called anybody anything, or rather always apologized profusely when something was misunderstood.

    Yous two?
    not so much.

    Your colors show at ever twist and turn.


    Have a Happy Easter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No, I actually gave up on reading 99% of what you guys 'contribute'
    Then why are you posting on these threads day and night?

    I can give some links to European Forums on which you can exchange horse meat recipes if you are that bored.

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"


    15 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No, I actually gave up on reading 99% of what you guys 'contribute'

    because it's straight out of PETA/HSUS manuals.

    it's a boot you are eager to slip on and try for size and walk a few miles in, for good measure. Then you are upset when you are being called out on it.

    Sorry, Ladies...you are the ones who cannot restrain themselves from personal digs, Bluey has in the years and 26k posts that I know of never called anybody anything, or rather always apologized profusely when something was misunderstood.

    Yous two?
    not so much.

    Your colors show at ever twist and turn.


    Have a Happy Easter.
    Thank you, but some are just looking to get a rise out of those they attack, better just ignore that.

    I know that, in the Dallas plant, when a horse was pulled over because it was a possible match with a stolen horse, the plant was happy to hold the horse as long as it takes for the owner to come check it out, as per people that lived several hours away and had other commitments for a few days.

    I would think there is more to this story than we are hearing from one side only, that seems to be on the antis side.

    Of course, that won't sit well with the idea some keep presenting for others to believe that slaughter is evil and nothing else.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb. 15, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    7,740

    Default

    I really don't see what is wrong to be against slaughter... I don't consider myself an animal activist. I just hate the fact that so many horses are lost due to greed from intermediaries.


    21 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,473

    Default

    Why is it so hard for the pro-slaughter people to believe that crap like this happens and can be documented or seen firsthand? It's a dirty business and there are sleazey people in the pipeline that don't give a crap about the horses, just the dollars. I'm totally against horse slaughter. It's disgusting. We spend so much money and time on so many levels on horses because of the enjoyment and pleasure we get from them and some of you are ok about eating them! They are just not bred or meant for that -- I don't care what your argument is about killing them like this. I'm sure alot more of this crap is hidden and other stuff as well -- anytime there are dollars involved, it's the way it is. How can you say it's so on the up and up and "pure"? We see so many incidents of animal abuse in the food chain -- the way they are bred, kept, handled, treated at stockyards and slaughter houses and you would expect us to believe the horse killing is clean? Yeah, right! You don't have to be PETA to care and be against horse slaughter.
    PennyG


    25 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2012
    Posts
    216

    Default

    A few years back, I took a disability claim from a guy who worked in a cattle slaughter facility. He freely admitted to "molesting" the cattle with the cattle prod while they were awaiting death. I am no PETA girl, but if slaughter is a must, I wish only that it is a peaceful-don't-see-it-coming death. I cannot imagine that's what any slaughter houses are like. I still feel horrible for putting down my suffering dog, and he went as peacefully as an animal can go.

    Comrade Ace


    13 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    A few years back, I took a disability claim from a guy who worked in a cattle slaughter facility. He freely admitted to "molesting" the cattle with the cattle prod while they were awaiting death. I am no PETA girl, but if slaughter is a must, I wish only that it is a peaceful-don't-see-it-coming death. I cannot imagine that's what any slaughter houses are like. I still feel horrible for putting down my suffering dog, and he went as peacefully as an animal can go.

    Comrade Ace
    Watch it, some will now tell you you are fibbing, that hearsay is not true, you lack data to say that happened at all.

    I believe it, there are abusers every place in this world, even in rescues, who would have thought that.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Why is it so hard for the pro-slaughter people to believe that crap like this happens and can be documented or seen firsthand? It's a dirty business and there are sleazey people in the pipeline that don't give a crap about the horses, just the dollars. I'm totally against horse slaughter. It's disgusting. We spend so much money and time on so many levels on horses because of the enjoyment and pleasure we get from them and some of you are ok about eating them! They are just not bred or meant for that -- I don't care what your argument is about killing them like this. I'm sure alot more of this crap is hidden and other stuff as well -- anytime there are dollars involved, it's the way it is. How can you say it's so on the up and up and "pure"? We see so many incidents of animal abuse in the food chain -- the way they are bred, kept, handled, treated at stockyards and slaughter houses and you would expect us to believe the horse killing is clean? Yeah, right! You don't have to be PETA to care and be against horse slaughter.
    PennyG
    Just thought this post was so good it needed repeating.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*


    12 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,893

    Default

    TKR, I've said it before on the other closed post: Bluey, Fairfax, et al find it far less work to call everyone who is opposed to horse slaughter a bought and paid for whore for Wayne Pacelle & PETA than to actually answer our questions, read our posts, and admit that one can oppose slaughter without planning to bomb anything or without agreeing with every violent demented position of anyone who has ever not liked slaughter.

    I am bone tired of their preferred method of 'argument'. They don't know a thing about me, except that I own a horse and think that slaughter is terrible. What I plan to do about that, or what my opposition means about my other beliefs and intentions, they have no blanking clue.

    To accept this, however, would mean giving up the one song they know, and having to acknowledge that they are just fine with the current state of animal handling for slaughter, and that they care more about commerce and ownership than trying to do better by our animals. And that ain't gonna happen soon.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09



    20 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Why is it so hard for the pro-slaughter people to believe that crap like this happens and can be documented or seen firsthand? It's a dirty business and there are sleazey people in the pipeline that don't give a crap about the horses, just the dollars. I'm totally against horse slaughter. It's disgusting. We spend so much money and time on so many levels on horses because of the enjoyment and pleasure we get from them and some of you are ok about eating them! They are just not bred or meant for that -- I don't care what your argument is about killing them like this. I'm sure alot more of this crap is hidden and other stuff as well -- anytime there are dollars involved, it's the way it is. How can you say it's so on the up and up and "pure"? We see so many incidents of animal abuse in the food chain -- the way they are bred, kept, handled, treated at stockyards and slaughter houses and you would expect us to believe the horse killing is clean? Yeah, right! You don't have to be PETA to care and be against horse slaughter.
    PennyG
    On the other hand, why do those for ban slaughter drives believe that abuse is all that happens, from the hundreds of thousands of horses slaughtered, it is all abuse?

    Right, doesn't make sense, does it.

    There is abuse in rescues, in horse barns, in backyards, in many places, see the thread on big lick horses.

    What do we do when we find abuse somewhere?
    Rational people don't go off the deep end and follow opportunistic animal rights extremists calling for bans.

    There are many that say horse slaughter is not as portrayed in the propaganda of those with agendas against all our uses of animals, slaughter the low hanging fruit, one of which that one newspaper seems to be.

    No one will insist there is no abuse, because, repeating, we know abuse is every place.

    Just think about this a bit more and then you will realize that, sad and "disgusting" as slaughter is, it does serve a purpose and has always done so and, if you don't like some of it, work on changing that.
    Ban it? Not sensible, really.
    Read other threads about this to understand more why.
    Too involved to go thru it all in one post.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2008
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Hey Jenm, now you have a group too! That's you, me and Angela. Anyone else want to join the commie, socialist, vegan (did I leave anything out) RARAs?

    Comrade readers of the communist, vegan Toronto Star (the most widely read paper in Canada, by the way) unite!

    Comrade Laura
    Me! Me! My dream is one day - not so far in the future - to use my legal and writing skills to further the agenda of commie do-gooder animal-loving vegans.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equine Studies View Post
    We all know that the only way to ensure they won't end up in a potentially bad situation is to not sell them. The racehorses and the backyard ones too. But is that really going to happen? Are you saying that anyone who sells/gives away a horse, doesn't have any interest in where they end up (ie. doesn't want to protect what they have bred/raised/trained/whatever? Or is it just that Stronach has the money to take care of them all, and didn't, therefore doesn't care where they end up?

    Not agreeing or disagreeing, just feeling a little bit like this is more of an anti-Stronach issue than a horse issue. Not that I care about the family one way or another, but just throwing it out there.
    He is a multi billiionaire...self made however, who is founding a political party in Austria and hopes to be Prime Minister. The family are well known for their quick to jump into things that make them look kind and alturistic and then dump them as quick as the newspaper articles extolling them subside.

    He was asked how many foals it took to breed a Kentucky Derby winner...he stated...as many as it takes...to win.

    The fact their representative jumped in for the article makes it all very suspect.

    And..it has nothing to do with the theme of this thread...(the article nor Bell and her Daddy)



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Me! Me! My dream is one day - not so far in the future - to use my legal and writing skills to further the agenda of commie do-gooder animal-loving vegans.

    I heard the HSUS, being the richest animal rights extremist non-profit in the world, has over 50 attorneys employed and they pay good and have excellent benefits, courtesy of all those donations from the public, that thinks is giving to save the little sad kitten in their envelopes.
    You may have a bright future there.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    TKR, I've said it before on the other closed post: Bluey, Fairfax, et al find it far less work to call everyone who is opposed to horse slaughter a bought and paid for whore for Wayne Pacelle & PETA than to actually answer our questions, read our posts, and admit that one can oppose slaughter without planning to bomb anything or without agreeing with every violent demented position of anyone who has ever not liked slaughter.

    I am bone tired of their preferred method of 'argument'. They don't know a thing about me, except that I own a horse and think that slaughter is terrible. What I plan to do about that, or what my opposition means about my other beliefs and intentions, they have no blanking clue.

    To accept this, however, would mean giving up the one song they know, and having to acknowledge that they are just fine with the current state of animal handling for slaughter, and that they care more about commerce and ownership than trying to do better by our animals. And that ain't gonna happen soon.
    Lori

    I have stated as many times as possible Slaughter is only ONE piece of the puzzle. I have read the posts looking for alternatives for 100,000 horses for one year. There have been some good suggestions i.e. support some rescues but when I check them out...it is always same old same old with new MONEY sponsors i.e. Purina...but they are not even giving money..if you purchase goods from the online store...a little percentage goes to the rescue. Better than nothing but nothing new.

    I have worked trying to get the registration groups to forge a union for advertising in non horse publications extolling horse ownership and health benefits...rather than poaching members from a diminishing group.

    They are luke warm as they feel their "competition" will get ahead of them.

    Breeders have reduced each year by 50% according to the records published by registration bodies.

    Euthanization clinics have been suggested. Did you read the thread about the dead Bald Eagles from a lady who euthanized horses and did not bury them. Both she and her vet can be charged and found guilty of criminal charges and fined $50,000 PER eagle..

    The U.S. article also stated rendering the euthanized horse was not a good idea due to residue found in the meat and other animals might die..be eaten..and kill more...

    Incineration appears to be the governments only positive but gosh..it is expensive if one can even find one and then pay for hauling.

    I, like many others will gladly support a VIABLE alternative. Turning them out on Government owned land doesn't work. Chemical castration or even neutering stops more babies but does not cure the problem

    According to the USDA the average age is 6 and over..and the new breed of choice is the prolific warmblood producers. (or so I am told)...making them equal to the QH numbers.

    As I support slaughter I have worked (volunteered) to make it as safe and stress free as possible. My own time and my own money every week for four years (I no longer do it)..

    Present an alternative that does not cost the tax payer, and you will have the ears of the government.

    Present an alternative that does not bankrupt the breeder with forever taxes and you will have the ears of the breeders

    I am sure interested in valid suggestions?


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Hoof cracks
    By Perchmom in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May. 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
  2. quarter cracks...HELP!
    By TwistofRed289 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov. 19, 2010, 03:45 PM
  3. Cracks in the foundation
    By snoopy in forum Eventing
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: Jun. 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
  4. Quarter Cracks
    By EquestrianRunner in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb. 17, 2010, 03:39 PM
  5. Hoof cracks - what can be done to help?
    By Live2Jump in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2009, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •