The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

So was it this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I don't know about the Illinois case, but the one in TX was a railroading of an old law the HSUS president bragged "his ten lawyers found in the books, after weeks of looking for something".
    Then found a sympathetic judge, that ruled that one law, intended to keep unscrupulous butchers from selling horse meat as beef, not to ban all sales of horse meat, could be interpreted as meaning a wholesale ban on horse meat in the state.

No one has yet found reason to contest that ruling, as the ones that made it counted on, because, well, no one has needed to do so, but it is a tenuous interpretation.
    or this...
    Yes, we know the plant had an old water treatment system, that had failed and been repaired many times.
    We know the plant was being run off the place and were not modernizing or doing more than maintenance and so it was having problems and fixing them and more problems.

There are many plants of all kinds in the USA in the same situation and eventually will be closed.
    That is what happens with plants like that, be it slaughter or textile or manufacturing or whatever they are.

They closed in 2007, what else do you want?
    Why do I bring the same story... because you all never actually address the issues... the actual facts of why the plants were closed and why people are not interested in opening new ones.
    You just keep saying 'nothing was wrong, those plants were railroaded... and we'll do better when we open new plants. But nothing was wrong with the old plants. Except the old water treatment system. And the lack of modernization of a cattle plant that was never modified to accomodate horses,...'
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Apr. 4, 2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't know about the Illinois case, but the one in TX was a railroading of an old law the HSUS president bragged "his ten lawyers found in the books, after weeks of looking for something".
    Then found a sympathetic judge, that ruled that one law, intended to keep unscrupulous butchers from selling horse meat as beef, not to ban all sales of horse meat, could be interpreted as meaning a wholesale ban on horse meat in the state.

No one has yet found reason to contest that ruling, as the ones that made it counted on, because, well, no one has needed to do so, but it is a tenuous interpretation.
    I just googled your quote by the HSUS pres, and nothing comes up. Can you link to something showing that?
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Animal Rights Extremists?
    And there we go again. The name calling. I think we should call the extreme pro side (only a couple of them) the Radical Animal Slaughter Extremists. What do you think? RASE.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I just googled your quote by the HSUS pres, and nothing comes up. Can you link to something showing that?

It was in an interview in the Dallas paper, right after the closing.
    I even have the newspaper somewhere in the attic, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    And there we go again. The name calling. I think we should call the extreme pro side (only a couple of them) the Radical Animal Slaughter Extremists. What do you think? RASE.
    Wrong, it is those against the ban, TATBs.
    You didn't notice who started the name calling, I see.

Many of us don't care if we have or not any slaughter plants, myself have said time and again we are better off without, as they would only be one more showcasing forum for those groups that shall not be named.

Those against the ban are just that, against the ban, for many reasons, already discussed.
    Those against the ban are way more than "two", including every one I have talked about that has horses or is in the horse industry, because it is the sensible way to go in this situation, in most of those people's opinion.

There is way more than just what some antis want to acknowledge here at play when we are talking of the "ban slaughter" drive, as we are here.

Wrong, it is those against the ban, TATBs.

Many of us don't care if we have or not any slaughter plants, myself have said time and again we are better off without, as they would only be one more showcasing forum for those groups that shall not be named.

Those against the ban are just that, against the ban, for many reasons, already discussed.
    But you already said there was no ban, there was no funding for inspectors. So then it's really Those Against the Ban That Doesn't Exist. TATBTDE.

I still say extremist...if the shoe fits wear it. I'm curious, do you or Fairfax have a financial interest in horse slaughter? Not that you would admit it if you do.

If you don't care about whether we have slaughter plants, what's your beef (or horse as the case may be.)

2 members found this post helpful.

But you already said there was no ban, there was no funding for inspectors. So then it's really Those Against the Ban That Doesn't Exist. TATBTDE.

I still say extremist...if the shoe fits wear it. I'm curious, do you or Fairfax have a financial interest in horse slaughter? Not that you would admit it if you do.

If you don't care about whether we have slaughter plants, what's your beef (or horse as the case may be.)
    I will type slowly, those against the ban slaughter drive by certain groups that shall not be named.

I think it suits.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBD View Post
    No comparison was intended. Adding the info about working local dog rescue was to help those who need to label people to put me in the right category. And I don't care what horses are when they are dead. It's how they "get dead" that matters to me. We do not have a good process to slaughter horses no matter how good the use afterwards.

4 members found this post helpful.

What I am saying is that their own report -a government agency- I will repeat a government agency said the process was not good enough. Had nothing to do with activists.
    I know I'm spittin the wind but it was a G O V E R N M E N T report. Temple Grandin concurred with the USDA report.

Since you bring the same over and over again, I will respond to that one more time.
    Those that object to my answering, remember, I didn't bring that up and have a right to answer when a response is clear.

Here it is, again:
    Those are all management and regulation questions, that ANY business has to deal with.
    Do you ever read inspectors reports from your local restaurant or hospital?
    Really terrible all they find lacking, but those business don't have some of the largest non-profit organizations living off looking thru those reports with hordes of attorneys for all and any they can hand pick to use in their propaganda, where you got that.

What "those we may not mention without offending some" and their followers keep bringing up is taken out of context, obvious to anyone not one of them, when it comes to wanting to brand slaughter as evil and call for a ban.
    Makes as much sense as handpicking inspection reports from restaurants or hospitals and pushing a drive to call all restaurants and hospital evil places, ban restaurants and hospitals, because see how badly they operate, the inspectors said so.

When you think about that, you can see that maybe some are barking up the wrong tree there?

Edited to keep certain posters happy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, Bluey, et al -- I wondered if my comments about "apathy, laziness" etc. would get a rise. YOU don't name call???? REALLY???? We are all EXTREMISTS and are too stupid to see the HSUS/PETA for what it is? Uh huh!
    Let me make this crystal clear -- I don't EVER follow anyone, agenda or otherwise -- my philosophy is get out of my way. My feelings are strictly my own and don't fall under any category. I am against any horse slaughter, period. I don't care how sanitized you make the plants. It's still disgusting. In addition, if those who are called out for "misbehavior" weren't called out and acknowledged nothing would happen. OF COURSE they should be outed! It follows the same example of the laws stopping any undercover whistle-blowers with cameras on commercial farms or in slaughter houses in states that have now passed those stupid laws. You can only correct problems that you see and get rid of people who perpetuate them. Do you really think pretending cruelty doesn't exist or that it's rare and isolated is true? Now who is drinking the koolade? I support groups or people who agree with how I feel -- let's get that straight. If you are comfortable with killing horses for meat - fine -- stay on there in your comfort zone and don't get involved with anyone who cares about the horses. Because we CARE doesn't make us "extremists" -- it makes us unafraid to speak or act and get things done or make a difference. That takes feelings and activity. OK? I believe Rose Kennedy said something to the effect that "polite women don't make history". I don't care about making history, I just care.

PennyG

7 members found this post helpful.

Fairfax, would your last name start with an F??? Hmmmmmm
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Don't you all get it?
    Anyone who says anything negative about horse slaughter or the slaughter pipeline is a RARA.
    That includes government agencies and their reports, the DOT and their long lists of violations, Temple Grandin, Tom Vilsack, any vet who opposes slaughter and the list goes on and on.
    Even that kill buyer who, in an interview, stated how disgusted he was with the whole process - he is a RARA.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I didn't say there was a federal ban on horse slaughter. The highest courts that have ruled on the constitutionality of ANY BAN on horse slaughter are the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (which found Illinois' 2007 ban on horse slaughter to be constitutional) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (which upheld an old Texas law banning horse slaughter). So that's what I meant when I wrote that "the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it." Do you understand how the court system works?
    Not being a member of the bar, I am sure my knowledge of the court system is less in depth than many others.

This was your earlier post:
    …”Your example of the Catholic Church is especially odd because religion is protected by the constitution. There is no constitutional right to sell horses for slaughter. On the contrary, the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it.”

I do understand how the English language works. And how you chose to work it.

As there was no referral to individual State constitutionality immediately after referring to Federal constitutional protection for religion, your statement implied the larger Federal constitution. This is, of course as you wanted to imply to people.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit has jurisdiction over Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin for those interested. The case in 2007 was in Illinois, which has banned slaughter for human consumption. ‘The BAN’ is in Illinois State Law. Which you omitted -by oversight?

Are there currently more than 3 of the 50 states that ban horse slaughter for human consumption? -That would be 6% for the math experts.

None ban slaughter for zoo animals’ consumption. Now what does that imply?

Federal legislation actually banning the process of horse slaughter has failed to pass Congress.

The Federal Appropriations committee proposal to not fund Inspection was ommitted? (sorry, I'm not clear exactly what happened) this year; which opened the door to Oklahoma deciding to set up a plant.

The Legal right to sell a horse to slaughter decision has been reserved to each individual state so far (each may decide for themselves); we will see IF that someday becomes a Federal reservation and whether it will be a right or a prohibition.
    Last edited by D_BaldStockings; Apr. 5, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Moving slaughter access outside the USA has impacted the number of US horses ultimately slaughtered by what numbers?

To those 'in the know' who have worked to buy horses from the post auction, to- kill-line end; what methods are successful at what stages?

I have heard of horses bought direct from Kill buyers before their trucks leave the auction, off of transport trucks post auction, from feedlots and holding facilities (if they were pre-importing to Canada as meat only - that seems to be a no way out ironclad).

What is a successful way to approach owners at each of these waypoints?

Thanks,

That accusation was made before about me.

I have absolutely NO financial involvement in any slaughter plant in Canada, U.S.A. Mexico or any other country of the world.

I have stated all along it is how the horses "get dead" that is important.

I am pro equine feedlots as they can control the environment for 6 months.

I am against the ban of Bute because there has been absolutely NO test done on it that has ever proven a connection to cancer nor any other disease. It was "just banned" in horses based on opinion.

I did volunteer for many years as you are all tired of hearing about, but I do believe we were heard and we made a difference.

The old and tiresome information posted on this board over and over is as boring as my tirades.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Fairfax, would your last name start with an F??? Hmmmmmm
    No..I have no idea what you are implying

Why are you anti slaughter so upset?

Angela Freda has emphatically stated..it will all come to an end in July.

Period.

Lets wait and see.

She has been wrong before

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    No..I have no idea what you are implying
    Nothing, just wondering is all.
    ― Anna Sewell