The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Alagirl, who has claimed kinship to PETA and HSUS (other than as sarcasm)? I've seen people accused of it, but no one claiming it.

The anti posters seem to be concerned about animal welfare, not animal rights.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You can't very well debate if you don't make clear what you are referring to.
    "Don't name them" is not much of a sensible solution here.
    Cause it seems now your cause is to lump everyone with an opinion not yours as being one that is made from bad info, or mislead by undercover videos.

It is not so.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

4 members found this post helpful.

No, welfare is trying to do what we do with our animals the best way we know how.

Ban slaughter is what animal rights extremists, for lack of a better way to name them, do as part of their drives to eventually eliminate all uses of animals by humans.

That is an important difference some seem to muddle repeatedly.
    And this has nothing to do with my post. I said nothing about banning slaughter. I was addressing cruelty and being against that. And how anyone who is against cruelty is labeled a RARA, a member of PETA, HSUS, etc by you.

Yet, you said in a previous post you were against cruelty. Using your thought processes, this make you a RARA, a member of PETA, HSUS, etc.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    That sentence is very plain to understand, I cannot imagine what is so unclear.
    Here it is in case this does not copy.
    Why do you think everyone who objects to inhumane treatment is really relaying secret messages from PETA, HSUS, RARA's, etc?
    That is far out, a real wild leap of imagination.
    I don't think anyone has gone there, "secret messages", indeed.

Then, I tend to scan over some that is posted, that is a bit out there and maybe someone posted that?

I have only a handful of people on my ignore list. Those who do not put anyone on ignore have stated that while they might generally disagree with a poster, they still want to see what is being said.

This assumes that something might, possibly, be said by that poster that has merit and deserves a response.

Perhaps the time has come to acknowledge that some posters add NOTHING to the discussion. And if you would all put them on ignore, or at least stop responding to and quoting them so those of us who have had them on ignore for years don't have to read their BS, things would maybe go a little more smoothly here?

Just a thought.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    And this has nothing to do with my post. I said nothing about banning slaughter. I was addressing cruelty and being against that. And how anyone who is against cruelty is labeled a RARA, a member of PETA, HSUS, etc by you.

Yet, you said in a previous post you were against cruelty. Using your thought processes, this make you a RARA, a member of PETA, HSUS, etc.
    You may not have noticed, surprising as that may be, but all these debates are about the drive to ban slaughter, nothing more or less.

No one here on the anti's side is talking about any other than why slaughter should be banned.
    I have stated time and again that I don't think to ban slaughter is sensible.

Surprised you are not aware of that.

Okay, more clear, IT is animal welfare, animals rights are not correct. Animals do not have rights. But we have the duty to see that all animals under our care are treated as humanely as possible. So if that is a extremist comment, I guess the people on here that are referring to others as extremist maybe are not really horsemen or women at all. Just a thought.
    So far In all these threads, I have not seen anyone that is a radical extremist. And seriously Bluey, Are you this obtuse in real life?
    Hurleycane is making perfect sense. What is it that you are not comprehending, I think it is just your M.O. You are excellent at playing the victim and playing innocent. But I do not see that you have helped the cause at all.
    SERIOUSLY.. This is UTTER BS other than one or two people most have said nothing about banning, only making it more humane. If you really think that you are reading what you want and ignoring most everyone else's posts.
    No one here on the anti's side is talking about any other than why slaughter should be banned.
    I have stated time and again that I don't think to ban slaughter is sensible
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    The FDA list of drugs that are not to be used in horses intended as food animals. Yes, a couple of them are also used for cattle, however, because we don't raise horses as food animals in this country, withdrawal times have not been tested.

http://www.vetsforequinewelfare.org/...ited-drugs.php
    acepromazine maleate
    Equipoise (Fort Dodge)
    omeprazole
    ketoprofen
    ivermectin
    xylazine HCl
    hyaluronic acid (sodium hyaluronate)
    pyrantel tartrate
    nitrofurazone
    Adequan (Luitpold Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
    clenbuterol HCl
    tolazoline HCl
    Quest® 2% Equine Oral Gel and Quest® Gel (Fort Dodge)
    Marquis™ Antiprotozoal Oral Paste (Bayer Animal Health)

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay, more clear, IT is animal welfare, animals rights are not correct. Animals do not have rights. But we have the duty to see that all animals under our care are treated as humanely as possible. So if that is a extremist comment, I guess the people on here that are referring to others as extremist maybe are not really horsemen or women at all. Just a thought.
    So far In all these threads, I have not seen anyone that is a radical extremist. And seriously Bluey, Are you this obtuse in real life?
    Hurleycane is making perfect sense. What is it that you are not comprehending, I think it is just your M.O. You are excellent at playing the victim and playing innocent. But I do not see that you have helped the cause at all.
    There you are wrong, I don't have any "cause" I follow.
    Is those intent on banning slaughter or else that "follow their cause".

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Alagirl, who has claimed kinship to PETA and HSUS (other than as sarcasm)? I've seen people accused of it, but no one claiming it.

The anti posters seem to be concerned about animal welfare, not animal rights.
    Yes, welfare.

The conundrum for me is if not for the extremist's undercover videos, none of the abuses would be known of much less prosecuted.

And who knows, maybe some of these videoing extremists got to be extremists by being pushed back by a legal system that is too busy to investigate and an industry that is full of excuses. No one can dispute the cruelty shown on the TWH Tapes

Seems rather than focusing efforts on shutting down extremists, reasonable people and bureaucracies could accomplish more by directing their efforts to better monitor these facilities and beef up penalties. Or even produce rewards for showing good performance or developing good programs that promote a safe humane environment for both the animals and humans that work in slaughter environments.

I think that is the discussion most people on COTH want to have: what can we do better.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

3 members found this post helpful.

That is far out, a real wild leap of imagination.
    I don't think anyone has gone there, "secret messages", indeed.

Then, I tend to scan over some that is posted, that is a bit out there and maybe someone posted that?
    Now I am convinced you are not intelligent. YOU are the one that says people on here just parrot Radical Messages!
    That is a post in bold YOU RESPONDED TO!!! Seriously Bluey. You have got to be screwing with everyone on here. that is the only explanation.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    Yes, welfare.

The conundrum for me is if not for the extremist's undercover videos, none of the abuses would be known of much less prosecuted.

And who knows, maybe some of these videoing extremists got to be extremists by being pushed back by a legal system that is too busy to investigate and an industry that is full of excuses. No one can dispute the cruelty shown on the TWH Tapes

Seems rather than focusing efforts on shutting down extremists, reasonable people and bureaucracies could accomplish more by directing their efforts to better monitor these facilities and beef up penalties. Or even produce rewards for showing good performance or developing good programs that promote a safe humane environment for both the animals and humans that work in slaughter environments.

I think that is the discussion most people on COTH want to have: what can we do better.
    Every time that is proposed the outcry is no, there is no good in slaughter.
    When mentioned that we know different, well, you see what happens, all that posting to show how horrible slaughter is, again, the abuse and mismanagement card to call for "ban horse slaughter".
    And they call me hardheaded?

I don't care if we have or not slaughter, but think that a ban just doesn't make sense with what I know.

There you are wrong, I don't have any "cause" I follow.
    Is those intent on banning slaughter or else that "follow their cause".
    Wow, you can twist things like no one else. You are hopelessly ignoring everything anyone writes. You are purposely ignoring anything people write.
    I seriously have posted my last post. It seems you have not much else to do so have at it. NO one is repeat no one on this thread is screaming BAN slaughter. most as I have said repeatedly want humane slaughter.

6 members found this post helpful.

Every time that is proposed the outcry is no, there is no good in slaughter.
    When mentioned that we know different, well, you see what happens, all that posting to show how horrible slaughter is, again, the abuse and mismanagement card to call for "ban horse slaughter".
    And they call me hardheaded?

I don't care if we have or not slaughter, but think that a ban just doesn't make sense with what I know.

I think you are reading phantom posts. Have you had your laptop checked for poltergeists?

I'm so glad I'm not the only that gets that.
    It's past time to start drinking.

Wow, you can twist things like no one else. You are hopelessly ignoring everything anyone writes. You are purposely ignoring anything people write.
    I seriously have posted my last post. It seems you have not much else to do so have at it. NO one is repeat no one on this thread is screaming BAN slaughter. most as I have said repeatedly want humane slaughter.

You may not have noticed, surprising as that may be, but all these debates are about the drive to ban slaughter, nothing more or less.

I have stated time and again that I don't think to ban slaughter is sensible.

Surprised you are not aware of that.
    Oh my. Monty Python's Argument Clinic......

7 members found this post helpful.

Now I am convinced you are not intelligent. YOU are the one that says people on here just parrot Radical Messages!
    That is a post in bold YOU RESPONDED TO!!! Seriously Bluey. You have got to be screwing with everyone on here. that is the only explanation.
    I don't think there is a requirement for a certain IQ number to sign up as a poster on COTH, in fact, I am sure there is not one, some of what is posted a clear example of that.

Trying to get back on topic, once the first article was out, have they published any more about what happened to this horse?

It would be interesting to know what the canadian slaughter plants do when any horse, for any reason, may be put on hold and why that was not so here.

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I don't have a point, or you don't have a point to make, right?

Seems that, when some post inane stuff that I respond to, my response is what is at fault, just because I am not on certain side?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Some substances don't require an actual study to show that they shouldn't be ingested... are there studies in which the results of people ingesting rat poison showed that people shouldn't eat rat poison?

Or did we come to that conclusion via instances where the harm of ingesting rat poison was obvious enough without a large subject group, a large placebo group and various dosage levels of rat poison being administered to humans to make it clear it was a bad idea? Extrapolation [not a study] of 'if it does ___ to rats, it will do ___ to humans'?
    Total side point here, but one of the most common rat poisons is an anti-coagulant taken by many humans (Warfarin or Coumadin -- same thing, different modes of administration.) And the risks are known -- you bleed more if you get hurt, you have a greater chance of having an aneurysm, etc.

(My mom started taking Coumadin after having a pulmonary embolism -- a blood clot in the lungs -- for which she was given IV Warfarin while in hospital. Less than a year later, she had a brain aneurysm which was almost certainly related to the Coumadin, and she died.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

And, hm, Bluey has yet to address my question, which is the same one asked by several others here. Too busy trying to "win" I guess...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

3 members found this post helpful.