The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The obligatory OT looking for work thread

So, due to a variety of circumstances, I've been out of work since last August, and while I'm applying to tons of places, I've yet to even get a phone call, let alone an interview.

Here's the story: last year DH got a wonderful job offer that prompted our move from Alabama to San Antonio, TX. However, literally two weeks before we moved, my dad died unexpectedly. So I was really struggling with grief and having to leave my home and family when we first got out here. Financially, we were able to swing it to let me just take the fall and get used to the city, find my way around, get the horse out here, continue to mourn, etc., but now things are getting tight and I'm ready and want to work again.

San Antonio seems to have a very lively job market, and I've applied for tons of stuff, but rarely even get an email, other than confirmation that they've received my resume and are seeing if it lines up with their needs. Guess I was a big fish in a small pond where I came from, because I used to get interviews any time I applied for something.

I'm signed up for tons of job alert emails, search the job site of the local paper, the local city employment site, local universities, etc. I'm on LinkedIn, but I'm not sure what all I can do with it.

Would love any advice or commiseration. If someone is willing to take a look at my resume, I'm not shy about sharing it. Good luck to all fellow job seekers out there!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

1 members found this post helpful.

What is your line of work?

Well, my undergraduate degree is in English and I have 5 years of experience writing and editing for magazines, but over the years I've also done more media relations/PR type work, and my most recent position was as administrative associate in a college English department. I am working on my master's in English and should graduate with that this summer. I'm eligible to teach high school and freshman college English, but I've never taught before.
    Last edited by cllane1; Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

I feel ya. I've been looking for almost a year. Finally have given up on the salary range I want, but still can't get an interview. I was supposed to have a phone interview the other day, and they never called. I sent a message saying I understand how crazy things can get and I would still love to discuss the position. Not even a reply to that.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Unemployed since July.. I am noticing more jobs posted the last 2 weeks then in the last 3 months. I'm hoping that once the 'earning season' is over then the job market will open up a bit.

Unfortunately my local unemployment office is telling us that they anticipate 2-3 years ...

There are a lot of colleges, private schools, etc in San Antonio. Have you applied there?

Working on two years looking for work here, same basic field (writing/editorial/PR). Not so much as a phone call. Generally haven't even gotten an email acknowledging my application from most places (including ones I was invited by someone at the company to apply for). The worst is when I apply for positions with small local papers with no interview--I have two national sportswriting awards and can't even get a job covering local high schools... Heck, I can't even get an interview for menial-type jobs like retail. It sucks. Hopefully you'll have better luck in your area than I have here.

I may be pushing the no advertising rule here but I'm thinking this is not horse related, and could help out a fellow Cother (and hopefully get me an animal/horsey person coworker!) Any business/accounting type fresh grads in southern NJ? (or assoc working BA/BS) May have a lead for you. Starting position, have to be willing to tackle anything, can be crazy (company is growing = pressure cooker!) but decent salary & benefits & chance for advancement. PM me!