The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Valegro and Uthopia update

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...88/316385.html

Attempts to form Valegro syndicate are still underway, but it doesn't sound like there's much momentum... perhaps the disastrous economy over here is a contributing factor; Uti is to be sold imminently, which was always Carl's goal. It will be nice to see Valegro again this summer if he remains with Charlotte.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I just think they have over-valued Velegro, he's a gelding. He may be "worth" a million or more to the right person who wants him for him or herself, but as a syndicate for Charlotte? I just don't see the benefit to anyone.

They just need to find some ridiculously rich person who wants to do it just because, like Richard Branson doing it out of the goodness of his heart. A million is pocket change to him. Maybe the Queen could sell a necklace?

1 members found this post helpful.

I sort of agree. When you think about Totilas' asking price as a breeding stallion, it sort of made sense, but even then pushed the limits of extreme.

By saying they want L2.5M for 49% (ie, not a controlling stake) they're saying the horse is worth L5.25M. That's almost $8M USD. Insane.

Top olympic jumpers with the potential to win big $$ classes don't sell for near that much. It is news when one sells for more than $1m USD.

$8M for a dressage gelding is just way out in the stratosphere.

I have to agree about the asking price, especially when you factor in V's history of headshaking - which he showed evidence of in one of the Olympic tests, albeit so momentarily it was almost indiscernible. It's really Carl's training that gives the horse value, and of course that can't be transferred to a new owner quite so simply. I suspect that all concerned are hedging their bets and will be happy enough to have him on board for WEG, or equally happy if he makes them moderately wealthy before then. Then again, with the Saudis et al buying up champion stock for their emerging riders, who's to say what a medal-winner might be worth on the global market??
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I hadn't heard Valegro was a headshaker. Can you direct me to any more info?
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    I hadn't heard Valegro was a headshaker. Can you direct me to any more info?
    Valegro wore a nose net during most of his young horse competitions, typical of a headshaker. Carl Hester sent him back to Holland after buying him at 2 because of the headshaking, but took him back.

Carl has said that he doesn't headshake in a double, because for whatever reason the curb chain calms the headshaking.

http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/e..._head_shaking/

You can also see it in older videos.

1 members found this post helpful.