The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had Vit D deficiency a little over a year ago. Doc tells me, "Wow you tested really low!" and puts me on the 50,000 IU. At first I thought he meant daily, I was trying to think how many pills I'd need daily, LOL! Then he says, "You need to get outside more often, eat more fatty fish and dairy." I had to remind him which patient/chart he was talking to. I am outside all day, every day. I eat fish like a seal and love milk.

Come to find out having your Vit D level drop really low during menopause isn't uncommon. I took the 50k pill for a while...forget how long now. And now I take 2000 IU daily.

I remember reading up on Vit D deficiency back then and was shocked at all the problems that can cause! And especially how so many of the symptoms of being really low on it were probably mistaken for lots of other stuff...being tired and sore all the time, etc.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I remember reading up on Vit D deficiency back then and was shocked at all the problems that can cause! And especially how so many of the symptoms of being really low on it were probably mistaken for lots of other stuff...being tired and sore all the time, etc.
    I was just diagnosed a couple of months ago--now I get 50,000 once a week (cute green pills for three months and then a retest. I was also surprised at the symptoms--muscle pain/exercise intolerance, inability to lose weight, and depression are some. The muscle pain and weight gain/lack of loss stopped almost immediately, but the depression will hang on until the school year ends (teacher ). One article I read said that if people are out in the sun a lot for summer but then aren't in it for a long period of time (winter), Vit. D levels can drop lower than if people didn't have that much summer exposure in the first place.

I am always out in the sun (no sunscreen) and eat cheese/ice cream, but I don't tolerate milk well and HATE fish. So, I guess the deficiency wasn't exactly a shocker.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Dump ALL processed carbs (esp. Sugar!), get out in the sun without fear or guilt or crap smeared all over you, eat LOTS of natural meats, fish, and veggies and take some Omega 3 like cod-liver oil.

We need to detox from 35 years of bad "science" and worse advice.

Party like it's 1964!
    THIS. The sun is not the devil, people. Take a high quality antioxidant and spend a little time in the sun. There is so much misinformation about how "EVIL" the sun is and how we are all going to get skin cancer. I'm sure that the sunscreen companies had NOTHING to do with the spread of that information Dr. Christiane Northrup (leading women's doctor) recommends time in the sun, WITHOUT sunscreen, as long as you aren't getting burned and assuming you are getting enough antioxidants.

4 members found this post helpful.

But the other issue...

In addition to "at the barn", I spend lots of time outside once the winter's gone... (almost!) because I have a huge parcel that's frankly a pain (not horse friendly ). Love to take big doggie with me, but the ticks are terrible!

Frankly, I'd have no problem lying out here with lots of skin exposed, but I'd be dotted!

Dam*ed if you do, dam*ed if you don't!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

What a timely topic! I have be bad and haven't taken my Rx in about a month.

My labs showed my D level was an 8. Right now they have me on 50,000 IU once a week. However, I doubt I'll ever be able to get off of it given I have problems with absorption. I am out in the sun, but it wouldn't ever be enough to make up for what I lack.

Interesting, I've never researched symptoms of it. I can't lose weight. (Clearly this chocolate chip cookie has NOTHING to do with it.) But seriously, I gained a ton and can't get it off even with proper diet and exercise. Then I was also waking up every day feeling like I ran a marathon when all I had done was sleep. Unreal.

I say take the RX, throw on some bug sunglasses (stop those eye wrinkles in their tracks), and enjoy that sun!
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

8 am and 27f -- Heading to the barn... Perhaps I shall leave the hat & gloves home. However, you WILL NOT find me using the roll top as a substitute tanning bed/lounge chair. :-D

Well, despite all of the vitamins I was taking, I also was severely deficient as well, my deficiency didn't correct itself until gasp I started tanning. Now I feel better than ever!

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    8 am and 27f -- Heading to the barn... Perhaps I shall leave the hat & gloves home. However, you WILL NOT find me using the roll top as a substitute tanning bed/lounge chair. :-D
    Oh, live a little!

On a serious note:
    first go around I was on 10k units a day for a week, then once a week for three month....now I am reading 50k, once a week....

seems to me the lower dose everyday would be better...anybody got a take on that?
    I am supposed to take 1k once a week right now (had 400 in the cupboard so I took three of them) but the multivit has 1k in there...hmmm

off to grab my vits...

I had to take my Mom to the airport at 5am and the only thing on the radio were infomercials. I listened to one about vitamin D and how everyone needed 5000IU of it per day and how it had to be taken with fish oil. The next day there was a thing on the news about how most people did not need extra vitamin D and that too much, whatever that means can be toxic! The thing on tv was a consumer report story while obviously the infomercial was trying to sell us something so it would seem that the tv thing would be more credible, but I am not sure.

Laurierace 5000 a day does sound like overkill (2000 IU is more like it), but it's actually hard to OD on vitamin D.

In the future it wouldn't surprise me if the acceptable blood level was changed to 50 ng/mL, since the studies indicated benefits above 50. (I'm not dead certain about that number, but I think it was 50 or 60.)
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

The most recent study I have seen definitely links low levels with living in Northern climes, where sun is rarely out. Those areas that get lots of cloud cover/rain are the worst. The other confounding factor is that people are spending more time indoors than ever before (the worry is now children and computers, that entertain so much- kids never go outside). The deficiency is turning up in people who just don't go outside. Then people have immigrated to these areas who have dark skin -and the combination of no sun and pigment blocking skin is not so good for vitamin D absorbtion.

I find it very interesting that most of the people suffering from deficiency on this board are in New England area. This fits with the model above.

My mother was from the UK -with a diet rich in non-supllemented milk and meat (little else really but white floor type carbs). She suffered terribly from oesteoporosis, including a dowagers hump that started very early. She was of anglo-saxon genetics. With my light skin, I worry about burning and I live in the South and am constantly in the sun but I am over 50 -and so I really should tet tested.

I am curious for those of you who were deficient -did you look at which vitamin? Vitamin D3 or D2?

I really like using in home tests. I think I am going to invest in one. I usually like using direct labs but their test does not appear to give the breakdown of D2 and D3. This time, I think Amazon's may work better.
    http://www.amazon.com/ZRT-Vitamin-D-...vitamin+d+test
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

For those of you who scoff at my story, how old are you?

Back when I was young, in the early 1970's, I loved to sunbathe with baby oil. My parents, who repeatedly had to have skin cancers removed, told me that I would be sorry if I did not stay out of the sun. I told them, "I look good with a tan (actually a very red tan, because I usually burned before it turned tan) and I will never be as old as you are." Those were stupid words and stupid decisions!

I am 60 years old. I have multiple (40 this past week, plus the biopsy) pre-cancerous lesions burned off of my arms, chest and legs every six months. I look like someone took a cigarette and burned me repeatedly. It is ugly and quite painful.

I do not want any of you to have to go through what I have over the past 20 years. Yes, having to remove the lesions started in my 40's.

I wish you the best. When you are my age, I pray that your words do not come back to haunt you. I would not wish what I have been through on my worst enemy.

So, go enjoy the sun, while you are young, like I did. Have a blast! Personally, I would take the pills and not take the chance. Ultimately, it is your choice and your life.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    The most recent study I have seen definitely links low levels with living in Northern climes, where sun is rarely out. Those areas that get lots of cloud cover/rain are the worst. The other confounding factor is that people are spending more time indoors than ever before (the worry is now children and computers, that entertain so much- kids never go outside). The deficiency is turning up in people who just don't go outside. Then people have immigrated to these areas who have dark skin -and the combination of no sun and pigment blocking skin is not so good for vitamin D absorbtion.

I find it very interesting that most of the people suffering from deficiency on this board are in New England area. This fits with the model above.

My mother was from the UK -with a diet rich in non-supllemented milk and meat (little else really but white floor type carbs). She suffered terribly from oesteoporosis, including a dowagers hump that started very early. She was of anglo-saxon genetics. With my light skin, I worry about burning and I live in the South and am constantly in the sun but I am over 50 -and so I really should tet tested.

I am curious for those of you who were deficient -did you look at which vitamin? Vitamin D3 or D2?

I really like using in home tests. I think I am going to invest in one. I usually like using direct labs but their test does not appear to give the breakdown of D2 and D3. This time, I think Amazon's may work better.
    http://www.amazon.com/ZRT-Vitamin-D-...vitamin+d+test
    Just have them run a test when you go in for your yearly checkup

Auburn, I am NOT scoffing at you or the risk of skin cancer. In summer (especially in the South) it really doesn't take much exposure at all to get the sunlight needed to make a lot of vitamin D.

The sun does take its toll. I use suncreen, and even so, the parts of me that have gotten sun exposure (face, neck, arms) look quite a bit older than the rest that haven't.

I think what people have to be most mindful of is getting some sun in winter, which needless to say can be really difficult!

I don't think the dermatologists are telling us to get out of the sun for their own gratification. They see the skin cancers every day.

I was raised in the tropics and have numerous skin/cancer areas that have to be burned off, biopsied, etc. I had a few sunburns as a kid and these are the ones that come back to haunt you later in life. We didn't know about sunscreen in those days....if it was even invented.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I don't think the dermatologists are telling us to get out of the sun for their own gratification. They see the skin cancers every day.

I was raised in the tropics and have numerous skin/cancer areas that have to be burned off, biopsied, etc. I had a few sunburns as a kid and these are the ones that come back to haunt you later in life. We didn't know about sunscreen in those days....if it was even invented.
    well, there is a difference between tanning while basted with baby oil and lathering SPF 70 or 100 on every inch of skin.

Live and learn.
    It's not good to mindlessly tan for hour. We learned that

it equally bad to avoid all exposure at all times.
    Because D deficiency sucks the life right out of you.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, there is a difference between tanning while basted with baby oil and lathering SPF 70 or 100 on every inch of skin.

Live and learn.
    It's not good to mindlessly tan for hour. We learned that

it equally bad to avoid all exposure at all times.
    Because D deficiency sucks the life right out of you.
    Exactly.

I am lathered in spf 50 and wearing long sleeves in the sun now, because of melanoma. However, I've started to take vitamins d and e to take care of that. I'm not sure of the dosage but I think 2 one thousand mg (or whatever it is) once a day. I really think it's helped with my energy level and feeling better. I work outside, and until I move indoors in the next few months, I'll happily be piling on the sunscreen and popping the vitamins! (will continue to do so after I get an indoor job but just for outdoor activities... Vitamins, yes all the time. They really seem to help me.)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I was fn exausted all the time and went to the doctor; vitamin d level was 7. Took 50k iu per week for six months and started feeling better after several weeks. Feel fine now and just take 1k iu a day for maintenance. I live in Norcal and at the time was not getting outside at all and hadn't for years.