The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Vitamin D ~ deficiency (did the Dr. Really just tell me to get a tan?!?!)

Talk to me about Vitamin D deficiency.

Long story short:

Tibial plateau fracture 12 months ago. Dragged myself back into the docors office because of significant residual pain, fatigue & general exhaustion.

Blood work reveals my Vit.D level at a 13 (severe deficiency).

Doctor prescribes 50,000 IU VitD weekly AND 4-6 daily 15 minutes sessions of tanning (outside not a tanning bed) and NO sunscreen.

Add to the fact that I'm a lifetime lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

Has anyone delt with Vit. D deficiency?
    How long did it take for you to pull your numbers up?
    How the heck do you 'tan' in New England?? if you haven't heard... the groundhog lied...it's COLD out there!

Mine was 6!

Also, my Dr told me that sun does not get you much vitamin D unless you are naked since much of your skin area is torso.

Just saw a show on TV last night about skin color. It said vitamin D deficiency is one of the biggest, modern life problems because people live in places different from where their ancestors developed.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post

Long story short:

Tibial plateau fracture 12 months ago. Dragged myself back into the docors office because of significant residual pain, fatigue & general exhaustion.

Doctor prescribes 50,000 IU VitD weekly AND 4-6 daily 15 minutes sessions of tanning (outside not a tanning bed) and NO sunscreen.

How the heck do you 'tan' in New England?? if you haven't heard... the groundhog lied...it's COLD out there!
    The sun won't do it.....take the script....it's what I did and then I have taken 4,000IU every day and get tested every 6 months....you will pee out what you don't need. Vit D deficiency has become extremely common. I feel so much better since my values are within normal limits.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

My vitamin D level is good, just had it tested and it's 55. I do take 2,000 IU every day, as a matter of course, for years, and spend time outside with the dogs and the horses.

Once your levels are closer to normal, you don't need that much sun to make enough...I've heard 15 minutes a day, between 10am and 2pm, with face, hands, arms exposed, no sunscreen. In the summer, many of us get that easily during our daily activities. BUT, that only applies for a few months out of the year if you live in the north.

In New England, Vit D production from the sun is a problem for much of the year. Not only is it too cold to expose much skin outside in the winter, but the sun isn't even high enough in the sky in the winter for you to produce much Vitamin D, even if you did lie on top of the snow in your bathing suit at noon . Supplements are REALLY important if you live in Northern latitudes, even with fair skin.

I'd think you can play some catchup this spring/summer with safe sun exposure and supplements and hopefully go into next winter with a higher level that can be supported with supplements.

1 members found this post helpful.

With the incidence of skin cancer on the rise, I cannot believe that a doctor would tell you to spend time in the sun, without a hat or sunscreen! Is he willing to pay for your MOHS procedures when you get skin cancer later in your life?

I have had a Basal carcinoma removed. I have had a quarter sized piece of my upper lip removed, plastic surgery to sew my face back together, plus 4 weeks of radiation, for a squamous carcinoma. I just had another place biopsied on my face. My Dermo Doc believes that it may be another basal carcinoma.

My face is starting to look like a patchwork quilt.

Take the tablets and please, please do not follow his advise to go out in the sun! Actually, I believe that you can get Vit. D through your eyes, so wearing sunscreen, while sitting in the shade and looking into a sunny spot can probably do the trick, too. Has anyone else heard this?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Yes, the sun will help vitamin D deficiency greatly and no, it won't kill you to go out in the sun without sunscreen for 30 minutes/ day, as long as you don't get burned to a crisp.

7 members found this post helpful.

Something no one talks about, is grassed meats and dairies too. Since your lacto-ovo, start making sure to buy PASTURED eggs, kerrygold butter is grassfed and if you can't acquire raw milk, there are lightly pasteurized grassfed milks out there.

If you need help figuring out where to buy any of this, let me know! NE has soooo many ethical farms that are popping up on radars now.

4 members found this post helpful.

Also, I'm a so cal girl, you can't keep me away from sun.

1) pick a natural sunscreen, one without all the nasty chemicals in it that are just as likely to give you cancer. Brands that come to mind are Weleda, Desert Essences and Burt's Bees... I can find others too if you need.
    2) fermented cod liver oil is a VERY effective inside-out sunscreen protectant. I just had a customer bring it up about his dog, and sure enough there are studies done on dogs too.
    3) start w/ 5 or 10 minutes at a time depending on how white you are. I can burn after 30 minutes my first time tanning at the end of winter.

2 members found this post helpful.

the only real good dietary sources of vitamin D are fatty fish- salmon, tuna, mackerel. Cod liver oil is a great source of it. Free-range egg yolks contain small amounts. Apparently if you put mushrooms in the sun or under a UV light before you eat them they become quite high in vitamin D.

Pills are probably your best bet, and far safer than hanging out in the sun unprotected- even if you could find some sun.

The light they use in tanning beds doesn't create vitamin D, so don't try THAT.

Anyone who doesn't run around half-naked in tropical climates all year round is probably vitamin D deficient.

Bottom line (see all Paleo threads!) is, we need to go back to Living the way we did before we "needed" all these "health" wonks to tell us how to "live."

Vit D deficiency is pretty common, I drink milk like an addict and am outside with horsey activities all the time and am still deficient. DD who is 20 is deficient, so we are both supposed to take a supplement. Think they are finding vit D linked to helping with lots of other issue that they didn't realize so the amount you should have has actually increased with knowledge of it's benefits.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I have a little problem with the Vitamin D deficiency madness.
    My now retired female GP was adamant about my having it - so I went through all the super vitamins, etc. Have had bone scans because of my deficiency.

Well, I'm 25 pounds overweight, and was bucked off high in the sky twice last year, and didn't break a thing.

Then talked with several others, who are all hearing the same diagnosis from their doctors. My new GP is a little leery.

Kind of think it is a fad, although I won't doubt some validity. But the answer to everything? Nope. I don't believe it.

Personally, I no longer drink any coffee or tea or cokes or soft drinks. Not to be a health nut - it's just what my system can tolerate at my age. And I haven't felt better in years. And believe me, I am under very, very grey skies.

PS If in NE, I'd think "having" to go to the shore, where the sun is often the best! Would be a good idea. All year 'round.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

CVPeg, there will be new guidelines for vitamin D (if they're aren't already). The current ones are too low, and low levels are associated with many maladies. Usually 15 minutes of sun a day on just your hands will give a person enough exposure to produce vitamin D. Some people cannot produce enough vitamin D and must take pills, but they are the minority.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post

Long story short:

yes, dealt with it. dealing with it....it sucks.

well, I suppose you expose as much as you can of skin to the elements...

and goodness, 50k units, I only had 10k when i fist found out, two years ago...right now I am on 1k a week (as per doctors orders) but I am taking effectively more...

But yeah, it's becoming an epidemic. We are doomed: either get cancer or die of exhaustion....

This, I just learned in my health and evo class that we need to sunbathe naked (near naked really) for about 20 mins to absorb enough Vit.D. They are thinking that Vit.D deficiency may be linked to obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post

Also, my Dr told me that sun does not get you much vitamin D unless you are naked since much of your skin area is torso.

CVPeg...being a bit overweight probably helped with not breaking a bone getting bucked off . I'm chronically skinny and my PCP hassles me about calcium and vitamin D because of that.

Being thin might be fashionable or whatever, but it's not particularly good for your bones. The more weight you carry around, the stronger your bones get. There have been recent studies that being overweight, but not obese, produces a longer life span. I haven't seen the details, but I'm wondering if the hip fractures that do some elderly folks in aren't less common in heavier people?

Anyway, according to my PCP, skinny folks have to worry extra about bone mass...adequate calcium and vit D and, weight bearing exercise (which riding is not).

Mine was horribly low, and my doctor put me on 10,000 iu per day. I took that amount for about a year. My levels are now nice and HIGH, and I take only 5,000 iu per day now to maintain.

The pills are tiny, and come in 5,000 iu pills, so they are really easy to take.

Dump ALL processed carbs (esp. Sugar!), get out in the sun without fear or guilt or crap smeared all over you, eat LOTS of natural meats, fish, and veggies and take some Omega 3 like cod-liver oil.

We need to detox from 35 years of bad "science" and worse advice.

Party like it's 1964!

3 members found this post helpful.