The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about the SSA, the military, and legal name changes

Didn't want to hijack the maiden/married name thread, so figured I would ask COTH. I am seeking this out through other resources, just figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone here had some good ideas.

I'll try to keep this brief. I am an Air Force brat. Was born to 2 American parents, in Holland, on Dutch soil, not on base. So I was issued dual citizenship, and 2 birth certificates; one for being American by parentage, one for being Dutch, by location of birth. During a move, lots of records were lost. One of which was my American birth cert. Parents never got around to getting another copy. Never really needed it, until I got older, needed things like my driver's license, etc.

I'm now married (didn't need certificate for that, thank goodness!). I'd LOVE to change my name to hubby's, but the Social office requires 3 things; proof of name change (marrige license is fine), proof of id (drivers license), and proof of citizenship (birth certificate or passport). I'm trying to pull some strings, but so far, the short answer was "No, we will not accept a Dutch birth certificate that in no way proves anything." Go figure.

So my two questions are:

1. Is there a way to get my name changed without my birth cert?

2. HOW the HECK do I get another certificate?? The base that my father was stationed at closed. He's been retired from the AF since I was 4. We've tried contacting different people within the service, keep getting the run around.

Someone with any sort of knowledge in this area, PLEASE help!!
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

from the web site of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

"To apply for recognition of citizenship, you have options:

Your Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or FS-240, provides proof of citizenship if your birth was registered at the nearest U.S. consulate when you were born. For more information you can link to the U.S. Department of State Web site from the “Related Links” section in the upper right corner of this page.

If you are already in the United States, apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. Use Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, also available from the “Related Links” section in the upper right corner of this page. "

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD

You have to contact the federal government to get your overseas birth certificate. I don't know where exactly, but I"m sure it's online.

As far as name change, not sure if this still works, but about 12 years ago I changed my name. I went to the DMV and filled out the name change form. Not documents required, I could have called myself Santa Claus for all they cared. Got a new driver's license with the new name. Took the new driver's license and the old one to the SS office and changed the name on my SS card. After that, just sent copies of the new driver's license and SS card to all banks, credit cards, etc. So that was that.

The only thing it didn't work for was the passport. Had to be using the name for 10 years before they would put it on my passport officially, so I had to have an AKA (also known as) with the new name. Which was really fun trying to go anywhere, since tickets and everything were in the new name, I"d always have to point to the back and show the AKA.

But that was before 9/11, so not sure if it still works. But you might try it.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post

2. HOW the HECK do I get another certificate?? The base that my father was stationed at closed. He's been retired from the AF since I was 4. We've tried contacting different people within the service, keep getting the run around.

Someone with any sort of knowledge in this area, PLEASE help!!
    I have no experience, but I posted a link regarding getting a copy of whatever US birth documentation was issued to you on the maiden/married name thread.

http://travel.state.gov/law/family_i...birth_593.html

Pertinent info:

All Consular Vital Records cost $50 per document.

To Replace a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), You Must Submit:

1. A notarized written (or typed) request that includes all of the following information:

Full name of the child at birth
    Any adoptive names of child
    Child's date and place of birth
    Any available passport information
    Full name of parents
    If known, the serial number of the FS-240
    Signature of requester
    Legal Guardian(s) Only: A copy of the court order granting guardianship
    2. A copy of requester’s valid identification

3. A $50.00 check or money order

Make payable to “Department of State"
    The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.
    4. Mail to:

Department of State
    Passport Services
    Vital Records Section
    Room 510
    1111 19th Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20036

Good luck! My uncle has dual citizenship between Ireland and the US - my family immigrated to the US when he was quite young.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson