The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    I am in pretty much the same position as you Donella. Same type of mare Donnerhall with an overall 8 on inspection also. She is 19 yrs old same type of problem. Lost one foal at 10 months and another sometime after 60 days. My vet said we could try again if I wanted to. After losing the 10 month foal she was so upset that she had to be sedated. I am not sure if she even knew when she slipped the second one. I did switch to ETs and have a yearling Hofrat colt from her and will try another ET this year. Think of how much money and heart you have put into trying to have her produce a full term foal. I personally could not put myself or my mare through losing another foal and have chosen to do ETs only with her. I hope you are successful in whatever you choose to do. ��
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    . A DMSO lavage may still be helpful, but for reducing fibrosis the DMSO concentration MAY need to be greater than that reported to be successful for the treatment of a biofilm. I say MAY because we are talking about an area where there is very little research and the treatment protocols are all over the map. Just want to make sure that we are comparing apples to apples here.

    Thank you for clarifying, I wasn't making the distinction so good to know! So what kind of concentration would you suggest for my girl if I were to do it?

    I personally could not put myself or my mare through losing another foal and have chosen to do ETs only with her. I hope you are successful in whatever you choose to do.

    I have thought of this too. It's one thing for it to happen at 45 days and obviously quite another at 10 months. I WILL feel very guilty if that does happen, obviously. In all honesty I can probably only afford to try an ET with one mare this year and I have two other mares that I adore, that I bred, that are being aimed at performance careers and I know I won't give them the time off to have a foal so ET will be the only option for them. If this were the only mare I needed to do an ET with I think I would just go that route this year and even scrap trying to have her carry. Gosh, I really just don't know....
    www.svhanoverians.com

    "Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    I don't know very much about this, being a very small breeder, however my older mare did not get in foal the first year that I tried to breed her. Her biopsy score that year was a IIB. We rested her a year and re bred with fresh cooled, using oxy afterwards. She has since delivered 3 healthy foals and is pregnant with her 4th. I tried her with frozen semen and she would not conceive that way even though all appeared well when we did it. Based on that experience, I would hesitate to try frozen, just one more thing that could complicate things even if there is no concrete reason why. Good luck!



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Donella all you can do is decide which path to take and don't look back. Breeding these horses can drive you nuts, the highest of highs and the lowest you can ever imagine. I was expecting to have two foals this Spring and I won't have any. I sold one mare and the other slipped her foal at 8 or 9 months (umbilical torsion). There has only been one other year with no foals and I made the decision not to breed that year. Best of luck whatever decision you make and whatever you decide is the right decision. ����(I hope this post makes some kind of sense)
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Bluemoon, I am so sorry to hear about your foal. That is just so heartbreaking...ughh. You are absolutely right, the highest highs and the lowest lows. Thank you for your well wishes though, I appreciate it. Crossing my fingers for you this season too, hopefully we both have Dante Weltino's in 2013!
    www.svhanoverians.com

    "Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.



Similar Threads

  1. IIA biopsy score
    By Cindy's Warmbloods in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 1, 2012, 02:41 PM
  2. Repro advice needed..difficult mare..Kathy??
    By Donella in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul. 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
  3. Repro gurus...need some input. :>)
    By ChestnutCreek in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun. 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
  4. Hunter Breeding Gurus - critique and advice please!
    By twoposies in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Aug. 14, 2009, 12:26 PM
  5. How to proceed with a low biopsy score?
    By winter in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2008, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •