The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

I did not understand The English Patient. I couldn't get through the premise or even the opening act. I feel like Elaine on Seinfeld -she didn't get it either.

Paul
    The Seinfeld episode about The English Patient almost made the existence of said movie worthwhile.

"Will you stop telling your stupid story and die already!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Ha, forgot Stephen King. don't really like his stuff - hated Dreamcatcher, and Cujo. Never got through Tommyknockers or The Stand (and tried, truly) but...... Bag of Bones was outstanding. My then boyfriend and I listened to it all winter driving between Fort collins and Steamboat skiing, and we'd sit in the truck at gas stations, and grocery stores, just to hear "our story"

Not a book or a movie, but since there have been recent references to it, there are no words or phrases in any language to sufficiently express the degree to which I LOATHE "Seinfeld". I grit my teeth and feel my blood pressure bump up a point or two any time I see or hear a reference to that show.

Stephen King - my MIL #2 had the whole collection and they did scare me sh!tless, or just warp my mind a little - Pet Semetary was creepy as all get out. But then he changed his genre and AFAIK Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were based on his books, SR was the triumph of patience and irony and Green Mile not so bad either. He wrote a fantasy called the Eyes of The Dragon that I really liked.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

There are only 2 books that I have tried to read and simple couldn't. Dianetics (L. Ron Hubbard) and Grapes of Wrath.

I will read anything, even if it's horrible, but those 2, nope. Dianetics I tried to see what the big hype was. I think I read the first couple pages 20 times and still have no idea what he was saying.

Grapes of Wrath - same thing.

Love Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter - I'm on a Young Adult kick lately. Reading to me isn't about judging the writing capabilites of the author, it's about reading a story. Plain and simple (and maybe to some of you that makes ME simple, but oh well.)

Hate anything with Tom Cruise, Renee Zelwegger or Meg Ryan. HATED Seinfeld and the Simpsons (I have not seen an entire episode of this) and Two and a Half Men with Charlie Sheen - I like it with Ashton Kutcher.

My new fave TV show - The Big Bang Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    I am another HUGE Sunshine fan. I'm also a fan of almost anything by Barbara Hambly, but for anyone who has ever lived in the South, read A Free Man of Color in her Benjamin January series. It's all I'm gonna say about it till someone reads it and comes back here on the next OT day to update.
    I have a friend who raves about the Benjamin January series, so I will have to go find them now, and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabino View Post

Love Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter - I'm on a Young Adult kick lately. Reading to me isn't about judging the writing capabilites of the author, it's about reading a story. Plain and simple (and maybe to some of you that makes ME simple, but oh well.)

My new fave TV show - The Big Bang Theory.
    I'm with you all the way on the YA stuff -- yes, a great deal is poor written (and yes, I'm thinking Twilight here!) but Cassandra Clare is fantastic, and I've just picked up the first book in a YA Sherlock Holmes series that I'm looking forward to reading. And Susan Cooper will always hold a place in my top 5 favorite author list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Not a book or a movie, but since there have been recent references to it, there are no words or phrases in any language to sufficiently express the degree to which I LOATHE "Seinfeld". I grit my teeth and feel my blood pressure bump up a point or two any time I see or hear a reference to that show.
    May I join you in loathing that very unfunny 'comedy'? In my opinion, it has and never did have any redeeming qualities worthy of wasting air space for.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    I'm with you all the way on the YA stuff -- yes, a great deal is poor written (and yes, I'm thinking Twilight here!) but Cassandra Clare is fantastic, and I've just picked up the first book in a YA Sherlock Holmes series that I'm looking forward to reading. And Susan Cooper will always hold a place in my top 5 favorite author list.
    Just looked up Cassandra Clare, might have to give her a try after I finish up the series that I'm reading by Rachel Caine. It's the Morganville Vampires series and the biggest reason I started her series, is because I LOVE series, I just want to know what happens to each character and since there are 15 books, it should keep me busy for a while.

After Bram Stoker's Dracula and Stephen King's Salem's Lot all other vampire novels are child's play.
    Also don't get the Zombie attraction,
    The Steinbeck short stories and novels I read were so depressing I moved away.
    GWTW-read the book twice, first as a teen, then later as a young adult. Two vastly different opinions of the characters with age and some maturity. To those who are offended by the southern economy of the time, keep in mind Boston and the Boston banks were instrumental in the early slave trade and only ended their involvement a few decades prior to the not so civil war.

For some reason Kill Bill series struck a chord with me.

Finally watched several 1960's era movies, such as Midnight Cowboy and Easy Rider, what a waste! And to think I was jealous of my older siblings who were able to pay to see those movies. . .
    Last edited by fooler; Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Add comment
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Oh, I'll have to mention it more often then. I liked seasons 2 thru 5 (?) but like most shows it wasn't good in its late seasons.

My MIL doesn't get Seinfeld either, any more than I get her obsession with Hallmark Channel movies and The Young and the Restless. Different strokes for different folks.

What I do NOT get is The Big Bang Theory. I see it for less than five minutes on Thursday nights before The Vampire Diaries comes on and even that seems like too long.

Only enjoyed a few Seinfeld except for the last one-perfect they were in jail cell indefinitely.

Also don't get most of the so called comedies on NBC, one minute of The Office was too much, the ads for 30 Rock are enough. Recently discovered CBS Big Bang which I adore.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I was just thinking of his book the Eyes of the Dragon. The Green Mile is one of my favorite ones. I used to really love his stuff but the series he wrote I didn't like.
    I always used to like Terry Brooks as well - he wrote the Sword of Shannara among others. Believe he wrote some of the Star Wars books as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Stephen King - my MIL #2 had the whole collection and they did scare me sh!tless, or just warp my mind a little - Pet Semetary was creepy as all get out. But then he changed his genre and AFAIK Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were based on his books, SR was the triumph of patience and irony and Green Mile not so bad either. He wrote a fantasy called the Eyes of The Dragon that I really liked.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I did not understand The English Patient. I couldn't get through the premise or even the opening act.
    Oh yeah! I actually think I fell sleep in the middle of that. It was one of those movies that tried so hard to be Epic and Profound that it landed right square in the middle of Boring. For me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
    Just looked up Cassandra Clare, might have to give her a try after I finish up the series that I'm reading by Rachel Caine. It's the Morganville Vampires series and the biggest reason I started her series, is because I LOVE series, I just want to know what happens to each character and since there are 15 books, it should keep me busy for a while.
    Start with the Infernal Devices trilogy -- you can read Mortal Instruments first, and that's the series that started first, but in my opinion, it's just not as good. We're on Book 5 now and frankly, I am thinking she's just keeping it going because she makes money off of it. I am so glad she didn't do that with the other series. Jace and Clary were interesting at first, but now they're just infuriating.

Oh, if any of you like eBooks, look up Australian author J.D. Nixon. I LOVE her books, the Blood ones more than the Heller ones, but both series are great. I could NOT put them down, and blasted through all of them in a few days. Also, J.A Templeton has the Departed series, which is good for YA.

And I've never read, nor will I read, 50 Shades...there is much better smut to be found on the Internet for free, LOL.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I just tried to watch Gone with the Wind for the first time....I turned it off after 20 minutes. It was horrendous and I found Scarlett to be the most obnoxious character ever.

I love movies but there are a few I just can not stomach. Of course most of them escape me right now lol. I don't do stupid comedy. I don't like Ace Venture or Dumb and Dumber but will admit to liking Jim Carey in recent years and I do like Adam Sandler. Will Farrel is a no go....

I am a pretty avid reader and there is very little I can't push through.
    Wuthering Heights and 50 Shades of Grey were as bad as GWTW movie...20 minutes and there was no way I was picking it up again.