The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

This is not a popular opinion, but I can't stand Wuthering Heights. It was my favorite book when I was about 13, but then I re-read it many years later and I could not stop rolling my eyes.

I agree with those who dislike Titanic and Twilight and anything related to Nicholas Sparks. TBH, romance without some additional layer of something, comedy or whatever else, nearly always misses the mark for me.

My view on Game of Thrones (the book series) was that the first book or two were enjoyable, but then the quality tanked sharply. Haven't seen the 2nd season of the TV show, but the first was good.

1 members found this post helpful.

Les Miserables -wow, long, tedious, boring. Not that I have anything against long. Ang Lee tells a long story, but it's rich and moves forward.

50 Shades of Gray -please. My neighbor is seriously into it, but from what she describes -throbbing members, tight virgins, whatever. BTDT. If you want to read something with a little darkness to it try the "Sleeping Beauty" trilogy. No, not the Disney movie.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    50 Shades of Gray -please. My neighbor is seriously into it, but from what she describes -throbbing members, tight virgins, whatever. BTDT. If you want to read something with a little darkness to it try the "Sleeping Beauty" trilogy. No, not the Disney movie.

Paula
    I can certainly agree with that.

I also cannot stand Great Expectations. I just...can't do it. I'm an English Lit major, which is quite unfortunate at times. I also struggle with Walden. I have a love/hate relationship with that book! Leaves of Grass and Emerson's Nature aren't at the top of my list either. Really, I'm not a fan of that genre of American Lit.

I first read Les Mis in college, in French. It was a gargantuan project, but it was the first time that I read straight French without translating to English in my mind. I loved everything about it then, and still do. Not ashamed to say it. Loved it on Broadway, loved the movie ... thought Hugh Jackman was brilliant.

DH hates everything about it. This greatly grieves me and is a source of ongoing friction, as I used to think that only soul-less people scorned Les Mis ... But because DH definitely has soul, I realize its just a matter of different strokes. I can now accept that even otherwise decent people may not like Les Mis.

Oh I forgot how much I hated Thelma and Louise (but great soundtrack). i'm sorry but facing a firing squad with your back to the canyon is NOT a power position. Don't do Bond or Harry Potter or Spiderman. Even Batman...meh. Speaking of Heath Ledger, I loathed Brokeback Mt (and I was sort of thinking i might like it, but nope (there is not a chance in hell Mr. LT would ever watch it). Also forgot how much I disliked Atonement. And Seabiscuit, not sure why but didn't really enjoy. And any movie where they have white guys play Native Americans (i'm looking at you, Pierce Brosnan, in Grey Owl). Hangover I was kind of funny in parts but II was awful.

I did adore 100 years of Solitude (read a good part of it listening to Talking Head's Little Creatures album and always think of And She Was as about one of ht characters in that book). And I loved Dickens. And Color Purple. And Tai-Pan. Struggled with Sho-gun (but loved the mini series) and Noble House.

NOT a Faulkner fan but did love The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway). Did NOT like Old Man and the Sea. Can't read Ludlam, or Tom Clancy (too boring) or John Sanford. And do not like PD James, or Patricia Cornwall (what complete crap).Kind of meh on Horse Whisperer but liked his second novel, the Loop very much (his third and fourth suck). Mr. LT reminded me of how much I liked John MacDonald - old but good!!

Ha! Read Les Miz and Notre Dame also in French in college and loved them. And loved Les Miz on Broadway. I am quite sure Mr. LT will never, watch the movie, but I will!

Ugh...there are so many!

Twilight, books and movies, probably top my list of biggest waste of time ever. Watched the first movie, and unfortunately read all of the books....can't stand it. Poor writing, poor character development, medieval belief system masked in a "modern fantasy," crappy plot, and irritating writer/fanbase/everything. I'm out.

Anything by Fitzgerald....his life was interesting, his writing is dull.

Another Wuthering Heights hater.

But the worst books I have ever read are those by Ayn Rand. I can't attest to their modern popularity, but they have their following, and she was a terrible writer. Gouge-out-my-eyes-and-forsake-reading-forever kind of terrible. If you want to write a manifesto, write a bleeping manifesto. Don't write thousands(!) of pages of crappy "novel" and pawn it off as "fiction with a purpose." UGH.

I didn't mind The Hunger Games books. They were an easy read, but kind of interesting. I'm a hopeless Harry Potter fan. GWTW, the book not the movie, was good. Then again I enjoyed War and Peace. Perhaps I'm just weird.

Also, I am a rabid GoT fan, but I fully acknowledge the faults in the writing. I just enjoy the universe very much.

I'm with ya on the Loop jeez!!
    I did like the Horse Whisperer tho.
    Book is so much better than the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Oh I forgot how much I hated Thelma and Louise (but great soundtrack). i'm sorry but facing a firing squad with your back to the canyon is NOT a power position. Don't do Bond or Harry Potter or Spiderman. Even Batman...meh. Speaking of Heath Ledger, I loathed Brokeback Mt (and I was sort of thinking i might like it, but nope (there is not a chance in hell Mr. LT would ever watch it). Also forgot how much I disliked Atonement. And Seabiscuit, not sure why but didn't really enjoy. And any movie where they have white guys play Native Americans (i'm looking at you, Pierce Brosnan, in Grey Owl). Hangover I was kind of funny in parts but II was awful.

I did adore 100 years of Solitude (read a good part of it listening to Talking Head's Little Creatures album and always think of And She Was as about one of ht characters in that book). And I loved Dickens. And Color Purple. And Tai-Pan. Struggled with Sho-gun (but loved the mini series) and Noble House.

NOT a Faulkner fan but did love The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway). Did NOT like Old Man and the Sea. Can't read Ludlam, or Tom Clancy (too boring) or John Sanford. And do not like PD James, or Patricia Cornwall (what complete crap).Kind of meh on Horse Whisperer but liked his second novel, the Loop very much (his third and fourth suck). Mr. LT reminded me of how much I liked John MacDonald - old but good!!

Someone mentioned Patricia Cornwall. I used to love the Scarpetta books until Cornwall started using the characters to work through her own psychological issues - she completely wrecked everyone and made them unlikeable at that point.
    And of course the formula only works for so long before it gets dull and predictable. . . .

The English Patient.

I'll never get what felt like 6 hours of my life back.

The Piano. Dreadful. Ghastly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Someone mentioned Patricia Cornwall. I used to love the Scarpetta books until Cornwall started using the characters to work through her own psychological issues - she completely wrecked everyone and made them unlikeable at that point.
    And of course the formula only works for so long before it gets dull and predictable. . . .
    Totally agree with you. Boy, they got hard to read there at the end. I was sad. Loved the beginning of the series.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    What are some popular and "critically acclaimed" books/movies that you couldn't stand?

The biggest one for me was Catcher in the Rye...
    We were forced to read that POS our freshman year (1958-9) in college. About a week into the class discussions, most of us were wishing Holden Caulfield would just go ahead, blow his f-ing brains out, and be done with it. Another PITA was "Brave New World".

"1984", "Animal Farm", and "Atlas Shrugged" were enjoyable, though. I've re-read Orwell once and Rand twice since then.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    I I will give a book a pass if I find the characters interesting and care about them ("Hunger Games," at least until the third book when I wanted to slap Katniss silly).
    This! I really liked the first and second book, but Katniss drove me crazy in the last one, I wanted to slap her too! or just yell at her to get the #$%^ over yourself! I know others who felt the same, so I wonder if the author just really missed the mark.

I am so glad to hear others saying they didn't like "Life of Pi". I hated it, and never finished it properly. Just flipped to the end to see what happened: I got fed up with all the allusions the main character kept making to "Richard Parker" and how he ruined his life or whatever.

Also thought the Davinci Code was a dreadful piece of writing. Yet so so many loved it, including those who don't usually read. Which says something I think

oh, and re: vampires. I fully admit I thought they were a stupid fad until I started watching True Blood just out of curiosity. It is now my favourite show, and you can bet I'd let Eric Northman bite me any day!

Agree with the people who disliked Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath"-also felt liked it just sucked the life out of me. But.... his "comedies"(if you want to call them that) "Cannery Row" and the sequel "Sweet Thursday" were really good and very easy to get through. There are parts that I can't read without laughing out loud especially in how he describes what is happening in a somewhat "droll" manner.
    Really the great frog hunt is just hilarious IMO.
    As far as some of the "great" movies are concerned-I may not like the movie overall but do appreciate a actor or actress's performance.
    But please don't diss the original "True Grit"-one of the "Duke's" finest.(and personally one of my favorite childhood movies)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

The movie with Tom Hanks and the soccer ball. Couldn't get through it!

The 4th Indiana Jones and the 2nd Xfiles movie. These two nearly killed me. I am obsessed with the Indy franchise but i have to pretend the last one never happened. Aliens in Indiana Jones and none in the second Xfiles. I almost needed therapy.

I do love Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, anything with Leo. Loved Catcher in the rye too. Twilight and fifty shades, i also enjoyed.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Loved the 1st and 2nd Hunger Games books. And actually got my bosses obsessed with the whole series. But the 3rd book.... not sure what happened to the author but didn't like it. It took my for ever to get through it. That was saying something right there when it took me months to read it and literally put it down for a month or two when I only had 20-40 pages left in the book.

The movie I just watched recently, and it was alright. But book was so much better.

P.

Patricia Cornwell definitely used to be good, then her character turned into superwoman. The last one I read she was in quarantine with a hideous disease possible, then next she was in a helicopter having a gunfight. That did it for me.

I stopped reading Stephen King, after Pet Semetary, because I got scared reading them.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I loathe Dickens, with the exception of his short story, ''A Christmas Carol''. Just for fun, I watched the remakes on that classic this past Christmas with our son (he loves the story). Then, I actually re-read the story. Guess which movie was the closest? The Muppet one, LOL! They actually quoted the novel.

Twilight, Titanic, Hunger Games and Fifty Shades were all horrible. I could not get through a few pages of any of them. They made run crying back to the classics.

Speaking of classics, I couldn't stand any of the long English novels, such as Pride and Prejudice. Bored me to tears.

I loved Tolkien novels. The movies? Not so much.

Harry Potter books were fine; movies sucked runny eggs.

The newest Star Wars movies. Didn't anyone tell the two main actors that Star Wars movies were supposed to be FUN? WTH?! They acted as if they were attending one, long, continuous, funeral. Now, Disney gets a crack at making some which means they will be the hap-hap-happiest freaking things you have ever seen. *sigh*

They should have stopped at the first three, flaws and all.

Stephen King scares the poop out of me often -It was hard to read, and The Stand was pretty cool. I think he gets you because instead of creating a monster he takes an everyday thing and makes you see it like a monster. And how can I forget Insomnia!?

I did not understand The English Patient. I couldn't get through the premise or even the opening act. I feel like Elaine on Seinfeld -she didn't get it either.

Paul
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).