The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I quite enjoy Game of Thrones, mainly for the political aspects and the characters. Most of the female characters are one dimensional though. It's a weakness as a writer. Characters like Tyrion and Jamie Lannister are great though. There's lots of moral ambiguity.

The show did a great job fleshing out the female characters. They took a character like Cersei, who is just plain evil in the book, and made her a believable character. My main issue with the show is the nudity is over the top. I'm hoping they will cut some of that out this season and stick more towards things that actually move the story forward or at least tell us more about a character. Seeing a bunch of boobs does neither. But it is HBO so I'm not too surprised.

I can appreciate that people may not like it. However, I enjoy it for the same reasons I enjoyed the show Rome but it puts it in a world where you have no pre-existing opinions or expectations of what will happen. After all, we all knew what happened to Caesar so seeing him assassinated is not really a plot twist.

I also really love the book I, Claudius for the same reasons.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    AND STOP WITH THE VAMPIRE STUFF! If you haven't read Robin McKinley's "Sunshine" you cannot talk. I love that book. I've read it probably at least ten times, and now that I think about it, I need to read it again, I should probably just buy it, and not wear out the library's copy, haha.
    I thought I was the only one who'd read Sunshine! Loved it. That's the way to do a vampire book, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    I am way out of "norm" here. While I can agree to hate the Twilight and vampire stuff ... I love Hemingway and Faulkner. Also Grapes of Wrath changed the way I think when I studied it in college. Scarlet O'Hara intrigues me and see something new every time I see the movie. Few things bore me, guess I am easily amused...

I also enjoy Shakespeare.

Can agree to diss Titanic and War Horse.
    I will step out on the limb and say I also love Gone With the Wind. But I read the book first (I've read it five times, in fact) and it is a far cry from the movie. Plus, the movie came out in 1939, as the Depression was winding down (though most people didn't realize that at the time). It was escapist. It had characters rising above issues that they themselves were facing -- poverty, starvation, a loss of a way of life, the deaths of not only family members, but entire communities, the economic system they were used to destroyed. No, I am not defending slavery, but I do teach US History and part of my job is to look at history from every angle, even the ones I don't want to.

And yes, GWTW had its detractors at the time, too, mostly those who railed against it for depicting "happy slaves." But Hattie McDaniel won Best Supporting Actress that year, up against Olivia de Haviland.

Now as for Grapes of Wrath . . . I had to read that in high school and I dearly, dearly wished for the entire family to get killed in some fiery crash so the book would just freaking end. I have no sympathy for any of them, and I can't stand the name Joad. It just conjures up images of people I do not care to know.

2 members found this post helpful.

I live in a red necky area, and everyone raves about the Hangover 1,2 and 3. Seriously talk about blech!! The movie Titanic was as tragic as the real event. Hunger games made me want to vomit. Twilight sucked the life out of me.

I like GWTW too - probably for similar reasons.
    Altho I have to say when I do watch it, it's difficult to not reach in and slap Scarlett silly for being such a dweeb - but that's what makes it what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    I will step out on the limb and say I also love Gone With the Wind. But I read the book first (I've read it five times, in fact) and it is a far cry from the movie. Plus, the movie came out in 1939, as the Depression was winding down (though most people didn't realize that at the time). It was escapist. It had characters rising above issues that they themselves were facing -- poverty, starvation, a loss of a way of life, the deaths of not only family members, but entire communities, the economic system they were used to destroyed. No, I am not defending slavery, but I do teach US History and part of my job is to look at history from every angle, even the ones I don't want to.

And yes, GWTW had its detractors at the time, too, mostly those who railed against it for depicting "happy slaves." But Hattie McDaniel won Best Supporting Actress that year, up against Olivia de Haviland.

Now as for Grapes of Wrath . . . I had to read that in high school and I dearly, dearly wished for the entire family to get killed in some fiery crash so the book would just freaking end. I have no sympathy for any of them, and I can't stand the name Joad. It just conjures up images of people I do not care to know.

Book and movie: Fahrenheit 451. Auuuughhhhh.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

The Hangover was the largest waste of my time ever....then there was Twister...and Fargo...and recently, Sliver Linings Playbook...that was absolute drivel, with DeNiro phoning it in and Cooper as three dimensional as rice paper.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

In no particular order, Titanic, Twlight and Les Miz. There are more, but these are the first that come to mind

I can't bring myself to read 50 Shades of Gray. Just can't do it ...

But from what I've heard through some of my friends and coworkers going on and on about it, apparently it's about a 20-something, smokin' hot guy who is a self made millionaire and gets into some sort of S&M relationship with a beautiful virgin 20 something co-ed... And then they fall in love and live happily ever after or something.

Really?! Suspension of disbelief only goes so far...

And it makes me laugh that it started as twilight fan fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Love in the Time of Cholera. Its probably better in Spanish, but still.
    I am SO with you on this one. The main character repeatedly made my stomach churn--and then, when he was something like 70 or 80 and started sleeping with the teenage girl placed under his supervision, I completely loathed him. I was very glad when the book ended and did not care in the least that he finally got to be with the woman he loved. I would have far preferred for him to die of cholera.

I thought 100 years of solitude was NEVER going to end. How to keep track of all the characters that have one of four names was confusing, and it just went on and on and on and on.... I finally gave up and read the wiki on it. Got an A on the paper I wrote about it to

I am another HUGE Sunshine fan. I'm also a fan of almost anything by Barbara Hambly, but for anyone who has ever lived in the South, read A Free Man of Color in her Benjamin January series. It's all I'm gonna say about it till someone reads it and comes back here on the next OT day to update.

Even as a little kid I have always despised anything to do with 'the wizard of oz'. I am not sure why actually but it gives me the creeps. I can't stand to watch those movie trailer ads for the new movie that are on some websites.

Wow! You are my people! Mostly!

Steinbeck and Hemmingway made actively pray for a meteor to wipe out the earth! Sparks is unreadable, as was life of pi.

Movies, OMG, I am an outlier. Pretty much any movie featuring Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt I find unwatchable. Not much of a Hanks fan either, and hated both Forest Gump and Castaway. Didn't even try to watch Prvt Ryan. Hated GWTW, but the "classic" I truly can't stand Is The Wizard of Oz. Gah! Also Dances With Wolves, Thelma and Louise, or anything with Meg Ryan. (And what is up with her face these days? Step away from the knives and Botox honey).

However I just have to say thhhhhhbbbbbbbbppppt to those of you dissing on James Bond or Harry Potter!
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

OK I confess I like Harry Potter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    Wow! You are my people! Mostly!

Steinbeck and Hemmingway made actively pray for a meteor to wipe out the earth! Sparks is unreadable, as was life of pi.

Movies, OMG, I am an outlier. Pretty much any movie featuring Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt I find unwatchable. Not much of a Hanks fan either, and hated both Forest Gump and Castaway. Didn't even try to watch Prvt Ryan. Hated GWTW, but the "classic" I truly can't stand Is The Wizard of Oz. Gah! Also Dances With Wolves, Thelma and Louise, or anything with Meg Ryan. (And what is up with her face these days? Step away from the knives and Botox honey).

However I just have to say thhhhhhbbbbbbbbppppt to those of you dissing on James Bond or Harry Potter!

Video games. I just for the life of me can't understand anyone over 16 wanting to spend their time that way.

Also, Life of Pi. Could NOT get through even 10 pages of that book. Which, according to certain friends, makes me a troglodyte at the least.

I agree with twilight blek, I grew up on Buffy that's how I like my vamps
    Generally any book that's advertised, I don't read.
    I liked the hunger games books, not fantastic, but made for nice easy reading for down time, the movies were terribly done IMO
    Also have to put pirates of the Caribbean on my list, and I never got the Johnny hype I really don't find him attractive especially as a pirate

Omg, Victor Hugo. Les Miserables, tale of two cities.
    Dickens is endlessly depressing, I don't care how it's done. Yeah, I'm looking at you public television. Put the camera down.
    Pride and prejudice, Renee zweiller in any of those take offs of the classics. movies.
    But I did like "far from the madding crowd", Jude the obscure and some Faulkner.
    Love Vonnegut, every book.

I used to try reading what Oprah recommended until I realized that every single one was depressing for one reason or another. Getting depressed isn't high on my list of things to do when I'm reading a book!!

Your hatred of Titanic, Sparks, Picoult, Twilight, The Hunger Games and 50 Shades of Dreck has restored my faith in humanity.

Thanks, CoTHers!