The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I am not going to go see the vaunted Life of Pi, nor am I going to read the book: just because the author lives 3 hours north of me doesn't mean my Sask loyalty extends far enough to read or watch that tripe.
    I haven't seen the movie version, but the novel The Life of Pi is definitely NOT tripe, FYI.

I HATED Titanic. Rose (or whatever her name was) should have drowned at the end. So there!

(PS: Absolutely loved Catcher in the Rye, but I can't stand Steinbeck except for Of Mice and Men.)
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

1 members found this post helpful.

So, I hate pretty much everything you guys do. I thought I'd died and gone to boredom hell when I was forced to read "Grapes of Wrath" in high school...and I READ. Like, a lot. It was TERRIBLE! I didn't even read the whole thing, I just couldn't do it...

My sister used to torture me by insisting on watching the Titanic every time it was one, although I think she also thought it was stupid, lol. I could never even bring myself to watch any of the Twilight movies, especially because I had read the books before most people even knew they existed.

I've neither read, nor seen, any Sparks stuff. Blech. I also read a few Picoult books, before I noticed they were ALL THE SAME. Thank you, but no, I don't really want to keep reading depressing books about loveless, sexually repressed middle-aged women...

AND STOP WITH THE VAMPIRE STUFF! If you haven't read Robin McKinley's "Sunshine" you cannot talk. I love that book. I've read it probably at least ten times, and now that I think about it, I need to read it again, I should probably just buy it, and not wear out the library's copy, haha.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

2 members found this post helpful.

Titanic. Way too cliche and silly.

Twilight. Because we really need an entire series of books whose heroine NEEDS this guy in her life and can't live without him? I think not.

The Hunger Games. Just sounds dumb to me and I've yet to meet anyone who's read it that I like/get along with/relate to so I really doubt it'd be my thing. And also the obsessive fans drive me batty.

Hmm... was that it? I normally dislike so many more things than that....

ETA: Just kidding. Thought of more.

I refuse to watch the Notebook, Dear John, or anything like those. Also hate 50 Shades. Oh, and the Iliad. And the Odyssey. Could not stand those. GWTW was infinitely boring and I found Scarlet to be the most obnoxious character. Also: War Horse. It annoyed me beyond belief.

The Spiderman movies with Toby McGuire were dreadful too, and I loathe the old batman movies. Too cheesy.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Also, if there is a movie about it, and it develops a cult-like following, I will not read the book...it's probably terrible, if Hollywodd thought it would make a good movie...
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Anything written by Nicolas Sparks, anything on Oprah's book list
    Another Sparks hater here. If Oprah picked it, I won't read it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    AND Nicholas Sparks - stoooooooop him! Didn't he do Message in a Bottle? hated that one too (I am okay with Kevin C, hated waterworld, but okay with tincup, open range, dances with wolves).
    Wow you beat me to Nicholas Sparks. I mean damn, but I'm already at risk for diabetes with a family history -no need to take it over the top with this.

I was quite disappointed with Game of Thrones -the first book. I liked the series and everyone said the books had more information. I love fantasy so I bought the first book. Meh. I read meaty sci fi/fantasy like Dune, the Hobbit, etc. This was so light.

Twilight! I'm sorry, but vampires are supposed to be grown, amoral, and erotic. Not this ... whatever-the-heck.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Every female my age went completely ape shit over Titanic when it came out. I hate it to this day.

I tried to read a Nicolas Sparks book (I think it was One More Day). AWFUL. I watched The Notebook and the whole movie pissed me off. Wasn't too surprised to find out it was based on a Nicholas Sparks book.

I was once forced to write a paper on the movie The Perfect Storm in high school. I basically wrote a whole paper about how stupid they all were. The movie itself is not really bad but it hardly matters when you think all the main characters are idiots. It makes the movie frustrating and annoying to watch. I got an A at least. In the same class I had to write a paper on a short story or book. I made the mistake of picking The Red Pony. I was also highly critical of that book in my paper. No one said I had to write nice things! Looking back I should have picked an HP Lovecraft story.

I really disliked the movie Crash. I still don't see how that won an oscar for best picture. All the other nominations were better by varying degrees. It was a shallow and predictable movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Yonder View Post
    Meanwhile, on the "adult" literature side....

...the George RR Martin series. (Fully realizing I am in a small minority here.) Go ahead, bring the ghouls and chop off each others' heads, no worries. The inexcusable preteen "flowering" focus -- the inexorable budding breasts and menstruation and rape and torture of what in real life would be barely teenage girls.....icks me out in the largest way. How is it that we're all uber-happy to read pervy, average writing?
    Pervy, yes. Average, not so much. I think the Song of Ice and Fire series are well written. And it always amazes me that someone can keep all of the plot lines straight, forward-moving, and interesting through six books each 1000 pages long through the perspective of dozens of different characters.

I find the Bourne movies totally boring

3 members found this post helpful.

I also do not understand the Game of Thrones/GRR Martin series obsession. His female characters are some of the worst/most unbelievable I have ever read. And this is not to say that male writers can't write convincing female characters - for example (within the same genre), I think that Charles De Lint, Garth Nix and Neil Gaiman write fantastic characters of any sex/gender.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    AND STOP WITH THE VAMPIRE STUFF! If you haven't read Robin McKinley's "Sunshine" you cannot talk. I love that book. I've read it probably at least ten times, and now that I think about it, I need to read it again, I should probably just buy it, and not wear out the library's copy, haha.
    YES! I really enjoyed Sunshine and after finishing it I hoped fervently there was a sequel. Hunted around and found a write up on McKinley's blog about how many fans assume/expect/anticipate a sequel and she was sorry to disappoint them, but there isn't one. *shoulders slumping* Damn. I haven't read the book as many times as you, but now that you mentioned it, I want to re-read it again!
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    The Hunger Games. Just sounds dumb to me and I've yet to meet anyone who's read it that I like/get along with/relate to so I really doubt it'd be my thing. And also the obsessive fans drive me batty.
    I liked The Hunger Games... kind of ashamed to admit it

Add me to the list of people who don't like GWTW! Refuse to touch 50 Shades.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTheRain View Post
    I also do not understand the Game of Thrones/GRR Martin series obsession. His female characters are some of the worst/most unbelievable I have ever read. And this is not to say that male writers can't write convincing female characters - for example (within the same genre), I think that Charles De Lint, Garth Nix and Neil Gaiman write fantastic characters of any sex/gender.
    I found none of the characters compelling or real. Male or female. There was one who seemed to have some slightly human and redeeming qualities and after he was out of the story for good... So was I. I understand the dramatic flourish of that decision but he was the only character worth following!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I am way out of "norm" here. While I can agree to hate the Twilight and vampire stuff ... I love Hemingway and Faulkner. Also Grapes of Wrath changed the way I think when I studied it in college. Scarlet O'Hara intrigues me and see something new every time I see the movie. Few things bore me, guess I am easily amused...

I also enjoy Shakespeare.

Can agree to diss Titanic and War Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post

I really want to beat Stephanie Meyer upside the head for what she has done. I still read the young adult genre and when I went into Barnes and Noble there were maybe 4 sections labeled "Young Adult Paranormal" aka Badly written Twilight knock offs. and I'm sure 75% of the books involve a girl and boy in very unhealthy relationship.

3 members found this post helpful.

Atonement-both book and movie. Couldn't get through either of them, despite my thing for James MacEvoy.

Life Of Pi - Hated the book so much that I wont bother with the movie.

Twilight - Awful tripe. It was as if the author tried to use as many words as she could to write as little content as she could as kind of a test of how stooopid her readers are.

Pride and Prejudice the movie was also such a disappointment. I just so loved the book and the TV version - Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy. And the TV version's Elizabeth and Mr. Collins were superb, though I enjoyed Judi Dench as Lady De Bourgh in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffie View Post
    I haven't seen the movie version, but the novel The Life of Pi is definitely NOT tripe, FYI.
    The author read exerpts (sp) a couple of years back on a local radio talk show and I just didn't like what I heard, so for me, it was tripe!!!ROFL Same applied to Water for Elephants, the exerpts sounded so inane that I put that on my Do Not Read list.

For the record, my Sask loyalty does extend to Kim Coates and I will watch the lamest CSI: Miami rerun just to watch him and no, I don't get Sons of Anarchy.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

The Perfect Storm was real events, and that is how that sort of event happens, it just gets worse and worse, decisions are made that unwittingly place people in harm's way and finally it all goes to Hell.

I have to agree that the movie was really dumb, all sorts of dramatic interludes that were a compilation of that book and a different book and many many voyages, and everybody had to be sympathetic characters and the looooove story in the whole thing - but it's very difficult to portray an actual event with half the characters still living (and getting upset and sueing you for defamation if they are portrayed as the crazy drunken loon that they are.) I expected far better from the director - didn't he do Das Boot?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Eat, Pray, Love. Wish I could get that $15 and those hours back. I kept thinking, "Spare me, you whiney, self-obsessed, narcissistic user of other people! Try dealing with some real life problems!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    That movie was dreadful. Writing a report on it was required for a Modern Lit class I was taking. I was mesmerised, alright, to the point of falling asleep. I also never got the movie but, despite a long scathing rant against the movie, I did get a good grade on the report. I preferred the Midnight Wowboy condensed version in Mad Magazine.
    Would you believe I still remember the art from that Mad Magazine parody? Mort Drucker IIRC always had that "lip thing" in his drawings, couple that with Jon Voigt's big lips, and it took up the whole frame. I have to say I was too young to get the Mad plot either.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Would you believe I still remember the art from that Mad Magazine parody? Mort Drucker IIRC always had that "lip thing" in his drawings, couple that with Jon Voigt's big lips, and it took up the whole frame. I have to say I was too young to get the Mad plot either.
    I tried to find the actual Midnight Wowboy cartoon but no luck; did manage to find the cover and credits for that issue of Mad. Do read the credits carefully, there is a surprise in there.

My favourite Mad artist was Don Martin - nothing like a bit of Fester Bestertester and Karbuncle to brighten one's day
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles