The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Get a Maine Coon cat - they think they're dogs and act accordingly. Very much a one-person animal, too. Once you've had a Maine Coon you can't go back... :-)
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

1 members found this post helpful.

My relatives have less than stellar kitties so I'm not super fond of them, however our two black barn cats are awesome. I've also never met a bad tuxedo cat.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    First in line with Cat Agit-Prop!

If I may do some demographic profiling: Your best bet is to get a big neutered male slacker. They are mellow and honest. Sans balls, they have no agenda other than total hedonism.

Otherwise, pick an adult-- a 2-year-old cat is a "what you see is what you get" animal. Males and females can be equally great.
    Totally agree with this! DH is not much of an indoor animal person, but I finally convinced him a few years ago to go to the shelter and "look."

After interacting with a few, we decided on a ~5 year old male neutered cat.

Now I've had cats my whole life, but this guy takes the cake. He has been the most wonderful cat! He is the first cat I have gotten as an adult (not a kitten). Totally "what you see is what you get"-- we had very few surprises when we got him home, besides the fact that he quickly turned into the best cat I have ever owned. Kittens are adorable, but sometimes they grow up into little hellions.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

The worst thing about cats is the bird-killing if you let them out. Our tuxedo male is affectionate and calm. He follows us to bus stop, on walks. I've figured out a way to tell him to stay home, and it works, but involves some strange body language from me.

I am and always have been a dog person. My lifestyle, however, does not lend itself to a dog right now. Because I couldn't (or shouldn't) get a dog but really missed having animals in the house, I decided to get a cat. I was lucky because someone I knew had kittens and could vet their personalities for me. They assured me the kitties I was getting were not the stand-offish type and they were right. I got a pair of male orange tabby brothers and I LOVE them. One of them is basically a dog in a cat suit. I am so glad I got them. I wish I had clothes that did not have orange hair on them but oh well- they are worth it It is all about picking the correct cat personality for you
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

COTHers are great! I've really appreciated your thoughts.

I forgot to mention 1 thing that complicates matters. DH LOVES 'playful' cats. You know the kind that 'wrestle', swat at you and play with you. The kind that SCARE THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME!

Maybe I should just go pick one out myself and surprise him one night

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissy View Post

I forgot to mention 1 thing that complicates matters. DH LOVES 'playful' cats. You know the kind that 'wrestle', swat at you and play with you. The kind that SCARE THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME!

My cat is VERY playful but very gentle about it. He loves toys on wands-- he'll carry them around the house by the wand and drop them at your feet. Not all of them are going to swat and sneak attack you!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Cat are the best. I love my dog I have now, but I am a cat person for sure! They are just awesome animals.

I like males better than females. They tend to be more cuddly and playful. Females tend to be the standoffish cat lots of people think cats as being.

That being said I have 2 females and 1 male right now at home. My one female is the typical independent cat that will come to you for pets, but in general just keeps to herself. My other female is my shadow and is always where I am. She isn't super cuddly but always sits on the same furniture I am. My male is an orange tabby and he is just awesome. He is totally a catdog. He loves when people come over and greets them at the door. He is loud and obnoxious when he wants something but will cuddle all day and night with you. He is just the best. All my cats have their claws and will play with me but not use their claws. They know not to hurt me.

In st kitts, I am currently fostering a older ex-tom cat. OMG what a personality and so needy. He is literally my shadow. I don't go anywhere in the house without him. He is very talkative and extremely demanding. He was caught about 7 weeks ago and neutered about 5 weeks ago. You would of never known he was feral. He adapted so quickly to living inside and I think he loves it. He loves my dog and my dog doesn't necessarily feel the same way, but tolerates him. I am pretty sure he thinks he is a dog which is good. He is FIV + so has a much highly probability of living with a dog for the rest of his life than another cat.

Anyways, cats are the best! Hands down! I love my dog, but am not a dog person. They go outside and get dirty and stinky etc etc. Cat stay inside and stay clean. Clean the litter box everyday or every other day and your house won't smell at all.

As someone else said, do get a spray bottle for telling the cat where they can and can't be. Most seem to respect it. My foster is still learning the off limit areas aka the counters, but the spray bottle is increasing his learning curve. He also had to learn that my dinner was not his.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    You can train them to stay off the counters, furniture, or even certain floors of the house... most of the time (they know when you aren't home)!
    My cat growing up wasn't "allowed" on my mother's bed.The bed, however, got wonderful afternoon sun. Chimmy would curl up on that bed until she heard mom's car drive up after work. It always made me laugh!

OP, I've had tons of cats, most of them indoor kitties. None of them have been the hide and attack-for-no-reason kind. I have had/do have cats that I can rough house with - hand like a claw hoovering above their heads make them know it's time to PLAY HARD! I can control that - play hard, play medium, start when I want, stop when I want. When I'm done, they are done.

I only have one cat that will bite me without a whole lot of provocation. I think she has extra sensitive skin. I have to pet her a certain way or she gets way over stimulated. She also has 28 toes and moles so I think she's just a freak of kitty nature. I find her hysterical! I don't really think you will end up with one of those unless you go looking for a freak. I knew she was crazy when I took her in.

Kittens can be a little daunting to the non-cat person but they are so cute it really evens out. They will chase your toes when you're sleeping, though.

I've had cats of all colors and can't say that I have a color that seemed calmer to me than the others. I have had two b/w tux kitties that seemed to think they were dogs. One female, now deceased, LOVED to play fetch. My current outdoor tux guy follows me to the barn every night to feed. He is full grown (and huge) and still chases his tail. So cute!
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Oh. Then you need His & Hers cats.

Siblings might have what you guys want in very different personalities. And some shelters with Kitty Condos put unrelated cats together who get along, so you could get a pre-adjusted package deal there. Most cats will find a way to get along if you end up getting them separately. A difference in age can help you. Let DH get a PITA kitten type while you pick out your kind, "roll with the punches" type separately.

I would Not give DH carte blanche to pick out your first cat if he gravitates to the killahs. Those aren't "starter cats" and it will slow down your learning to read and trust a cat. it also doesn't help if he takes *any* cat and keeps it riled up each time it sees a person.

Two cats. Problem solved.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I like males better than females. They tend to be more cuddly and playful. Females tend to be the standoffish cat lots of people think cats as being.
    Let me explain.

Female cats are like mares. They are adults who run their own calenders, file their own tax returns and the like. Their love is given and deep, loyal and purposeful when you get it-- not like the neutered big tom who likes anyone who likes him without checking any ID.

And I have known a couple of male, neutered tuxedo cats who were the sponges of society. Yes, they liked you.... but only because you were the best current deal. They wanted what they wanted and would pleasantly get it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Avoid orientals for the most part as they are high energy cats - Da Bad Goils rip around the house several times a day for up to half an hour at a time and they are not even full oriental, just Siamese mixed with moggies. Even the older ones get rather silly at times.

Probably best bet would be an older neutered male moggie that appeals to you.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Let me explain.

Female cats are like mares. They are adults who run their own calenders, file their own tax returns and the like. Their love is given and deep, loyal and purposeful when you get it-- not like the neutered big tom who likes anyone who likes him without checking any ID.

And I have known a couple of male, neutered tuxedo cats who were the sponges of society. Yes, they liked you.... but only because you were the best current deal. They wanted what they wanted and would pleasantly get it.

Good description!

So... I've always been a dog person. Grew up with the most phenomenal GSD...I'm also not excited about the prospect of cat hair in the house.
    Wait -- you've lived with a GSD and are worried about cat hair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
    Oh, and - very important! - when a dog rolls over in front of you, he wants you to rub his belly.
    When a cat rolls over in front of you, he's telling you that he's trusting you to NOT touch his vulnerable spots. Don't betray him by rubbing his belly! Smile and blink at him, and look away, and he'll know you understand and his trust was well placed.
    Uh, no. I suppose there are cats that don't like having their bellies rubbed, but I have yet to meet one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Uh, no. I suppose there are cats that don't like having their bellies rubbed, but I have yet to meet one.
    There *are* cats who like this, but put those animals in the same category of the person who likes to be the "bottom" in sex. You don't walk into that relationship with a huge power differential willy nilly. The cat has to *decide* to let you pet his/her belly. And they had the concept of a "safe word" well before we invented it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Could have been my husband 15 years ago. He is now a devoted cat person. He loves that they require very little hour-to-hour minding, are very devoted and sweet, can be left unattended during the day, and so on.

Get an older cat, with an established personality. Like getting a horse suitable for a novice, get a cat that is very passive, relaxed, loves people, etc. I would also suggest staying away from oriental type breeds, as they can be prone to anxiety behaviors if they're not managed properly.

Shorthair is probably best to start with since managing a long hair requies a little learning.

Kittens are tempting but kittens and young kitties require teaching, and can be a BIG handful. You can say to a rescue "I want an older cat, with NO bad habits, very passive and cuddly" and they will rumage through their fosters and find one. You can also specify whatever else you like: good with kids, dogs, other cats, indoor only, declawed, spayed, whatever. It actually is JUST like buying your first horse. You make a list of what you want (or don't want) and go shopping.

Cats can often live 15+ years, so don't be afraid of getting one that is 3-4.

I strongly suggest going through a reputable RESCUE, and NOT the local shelter. Rescues will frequently have already had a cat in a foster-home situation, where they will be able to tell you what the cat is like in an actual HOME situation. And if you get it into a home situation where things go south, a good rescue will be a lot more inclined to help you work through it OR take the pet back (without blacklisting you)
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

If these don't make you want a kitty then I don't know what will.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psdb6ecf3a.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psfcb82339.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psbf44dcfd.jpg

You could always declaw the kitty if you are not going to let them be outside. Then you won't have to worry about getting scratched. Although I agree with people who said to get an older cat. Less surprises. My dark grey kitty is like a dog. He follows me around, he plays with me gently, he cuddles with me, sleeps on the bed with me every night, he's just a big old sweetie. The last picture was my boyfriend's cat that I got him for his birthday a couple years ago. She is gone now, but she was also a sweetie.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

You could always declaw the kitty if you are not going to let them be outside. Then you won't have to worry about getting scratched.
    PLEASE do not take this advice. It's beyond cruel to declaw a cat, and it can cause many behavioral and anxiety issues. Take away a cat's ability to defend itself with its claws, and it will turn to biting instead. NOT the direction you want to go in. Many declawed cats will also have litter box problems from the residual pain of the amputations.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Get a Maine Coon cat - they think they're dogs and act accordingly. Very much a one-person animal, too. Once you've had a Maine Coon you can't go back... :-)
    This... in an older orange neutered male I'm on my second and even non-cat people have found both to be really cool animals. My current one is around 13 and is very playful, social, and acts more like a dog than a cat half the time. He loves water and will sit, stay, laydown, and come on command if I work with him on a semi-regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    PLEASE do not take this advice. It's beyond cruel to declaw a cat, and it can cause many behavioral and anxiety issues. Take away a cat's ability to defend itself with its claws, and it will turn to biting instead. NOT the direction you want to go in. Many declawed cats will also have litter box problems from the residual pain of the amputations.
    Oh I've never heard of that. None of our cats have behavioral/anxiety/biting/litter box problems. All ours are exactly the same as before. But I assume it's possible.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding