The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Me Decide What Color of Pad for Bay Roan

I feel silly posting about this, but I just can't make up my mind! I have a bay roan (when he's body clipped, which he'll be within a week, he's almost white with black legs, mane, and tail, and a brown face) large pony and can't decide whether I should be showing him in a black or white dressage pad.

Here is a picture from last fall using a black pad:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3&l=c852bcc2bb

And one using a white pad:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=c58b710b11

So what say you, oh fashion savvy dressage riders?

If it makes any difference, my new saddle is a dark havana that is almost black looking and I use use a havana bridle with brown reins. In addition, I do not wear white breeches, but prefer light tan ones instead with a white shirt/stock tie, black frock, and black helmet.

This is my first fashion question ever!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

I think both look nice, but if it were me, I'd pick black because that is easier to keep clean.

OMG, pony is GORGEOUS!

I like white, FWIW.

Black!

I like the black!
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I think it is nice to have both in your box so if the show is muddy you can pull out the darker one. But the colors in dressage, as conservative as they are, were to make the rider and tack decisions be "visually neutral" so that the only thing the judge had to focus on was the ride. I think white pad with white breeches and white gloves and a dark or neutral coat still give such a polished picture. In all my dressage photos over the years, the pictures where I have been more conservative still end up being my favorites. They have a formal, timeless feel about them.

Black, at least most of the year. If he is anything like the roans I know, he'll go from bay to nearly grey. The 'nearly grey' color can look dirty on it's on, I wouldn't want to put a white pad next. Much like most people don't use white pads on greys, it makes the horse look dirty in comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I like the black on him.

Another one here liking the black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I like the black, but you could always go back and forth. I do that with my mare sometimes. He would also look great in a dark red/maroon pad, especially with a brown saddle.

I don't think I fit into the category of "fashion savvy" but I like the look of the white pad better. The black one stands out more, which makes it look more obtrusive to me.

(I'll qualify this by saying that, given my druthers, I prefer contoured/shaped pads to square ones, too... don't know if that makes me old fashioned, odd or both...)

Weirdly, I thought the exact opposite! The black one I noticed the horse first, the white one I saw the pad first.

I like the Black. He can wear either colour. The Black makes his markings standout and gives a very clean look.

He is just cute as a button!

I'd say black. Though I like the white pad/black saddle/white breeches idea.

If I were you, I would find a cream/champagne/beige saddle pad that would match your breeches!

That is what I do with my brown saddle!

Why not be bold and go with a grey pad? Cream would work as well.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I think they both look very nice, but I really like the black, though I love the cream idea that was mentioned too!

You guys are awesome! I agree that the black works well because the white pad can look funky depending on what shade of roan he currently is. That would be my same concern with using cream. Although I do think matching the pad to the breeches is a great idea!

Since I have both (although now I think I'll look for a black pad with white piping), I can switch out. My dark havana saddle looks almost black--the only thing I wish I could change. It was made custom and the color was a bit darker than I expected. But someday it would be fun to coordinate with a champagne shirt/stock, breeches, and saddle pad. It would certainly make his white markings and the roan color "pop."

I know white breeches are the most appropriate color choice but I CANNOT keep them clean! I gave up a long time ago and find that tan are the most forgiving, especially if I'm at a CT or event where I'm also jumping. So I try to keep everything else conservative especially since the Roany Pony stands out enough on his own!

Thank you for the kind complements--he is so cute and very much a pony (well, a pony mind + horse movement!) and I LOVE him!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Oh I know what you mean about keeping clean! I would never wear white breeches, but I'm the same, cannot wear light coloured things without attracting muck... seemingly within seconds

Gorgeous pony! I like the black.
    If you want a beautiful and unique saddle pad for outside the show ring, check out my floral dressage pads... contoured and quilted.... at www.equineorganix.com

Enjoy!
    RIDE. WASH. REPEAT.
    http://www.equineorganix.com