The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default I need wedding guest attire help. Who wants to window-shop for dresses with me?

I have three weddings to attend this summer.

1- Beach. Evening. Outside. In July. In Maryland. That means hot and humid.

2- Location not yet disclosed. August. Bride-to-be said "black tie" but that was three days after she got engaged.

3- Location also not yet disclosed. September. Knowing bride and bride's family, upscale.

I need to go shopping. I think I can manage #3 out of my professional-dress closet. If #2 really is going to be black tie, and the black tie attire negates the traditional Thou Shalt Not Wear Black To Weddings requirement, I finally have an excuse to wear a black and white dress I bought six years ago and which still has its tags on, so thank you friend. If any of the above are not true, I can probably use the same dress for #2 and #3, so thank you friends plural. I have no idea what the heck you wear to a beach wedding and my cousin and his fiancee are too busy trying to wrangle his mother/her future MIL/my wonderful but extremely passionate and intense aunt to offer sartorial advice. Oh, and I'm a 20-something-financially-independent-but-recently-returned-to-school-horse-person, which means I also don't have a ton of spare cash.

Help.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I have three weddings to attend this summer.

1- Beach. Evening. Outside. In July. In Maryland. That means hot and humid.

2- Location not yet disclosed. August. Bride-to-be said "black tie" but that was three days after she got engaged.

3- Location also not yet disclosed. September. Knowing bride and bride's family, upscale.

I need to go shopping. I think I can manage #3 out of my professional-dress closet. If #2 really is going to be black tie, and the black tie attire negates the traditional Thou Shalt Not Wear Black To Weddings requirement, I finally have an excuse to wear a black and white dress I bought six years ago and which still has its tags on, so thank you friend. If any of the above are not true, I can probably use the same dress for #2 and #3, so thank you friends plural. I have no idea what the heck you wear to a beach wedding and my cousin and his fiancee are too busy trying to wrangle his mother/her future MIL/my wonderful but extremely passionate and intense aunt to offer sartorial advice. Oh, and I'm a 20-something-financially-independent-but-recently-returned-to-school-horse-person, which means I also don't have a ton of spare cash.

Help.
    I'd look into some of the lace dresses that are pretty popular right now. The right lace dress could actually fit the bill for all of these weddings. You will obviously have to avoid anything really bridal in style, but there should be lots of shorter length dresses in light colours that can do double duty for a beach wedding and a more formal wedding with the appropriate accessories. I actually have one that can be dressed up/down as needed, though it is a darker colour than I'd want for summer.

Yes. Cover #1 and #2 with the same dress. I wore this dress to 4 weddings last year (although mine is navy). It is dressy with jewelry or casual with a bright sweater and pearls. Color is neutral and it's appropriate for everything. I even wore it to 2 evening parties at work last year.

And I am no skinny minny, but it looked really flattering. The pattern makes it tough to look lumpy.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna...esultback=1466

Similar with a bolder pattern:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/patra-cr...ch%20Relevence

if you need tailoring and have a nordstrom close to you, they will tailor very affordably.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Yes. Cover #1 and #2 with the same dress. I wore this dress to 4 weddings last year (although mine is navy). It is dressy with jewelry or casual with a bright sweater and pearls. Color is neutral and it's appropriate for everything. I even wore it to 2 evening parties at work last year.

And I am no skinny minny, but it looked really flattering. The pattern makes it tough to look lumpy.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna...esultback=1466

Similar with a bolder pattern:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/patra-cr...ch%20Relevence

if you need tailoring and have a nordstrom close to you, they will tailor very affordably.
    Funny enough, I was going to suggest a nice grey as a good pick. Something along the lines of the first dress would be super. I kinda of want it, so I have a summer lace dress. You may also want to consider some cream coloured dresses, you'll just have to be very mindful of ensuring it isn't "bridey". They are out there, however.

If you already have one dress for two of the weddings, try RenttheRunway.com for the other wedding. It will be cheaper than whole new dress and you get to wear something that may otherwise be out of your budget.

Additionally, I agree with the others about the lace. I was just in a wedding where I got to wear a black lace dress I picked out. I love the dress and have worn it on other occasions already.

Right now, there is a whole section on Nordstrom's website for wedding-guest dresses. It is very spring/summer friendly. I'd also recommend J.Crew's bridesmaid line. I buy dresses there for other occasions; they are classics.

If Nordstrom's is out of your budget, check out H&M. They've got dresses ranging from $17 to $70. I think this one would be pretty versatile with a bright cardigan for #1. Also, remember that while #1 will likely be hot during the day, you can get a pretty stiff breeze off the water in the evening so definitely bring a sweater or something in case you get cold. And keep sand in mind when planning your footwear!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Thanks for the suggestions on the lace! I was just looking at a coral-colored lace dress which unfortunately wasn't a good fit on me. I will keep looking at that style.

Kateh- luckily I'm set for pashminas and shoes. I have a neutral wedge sandal and a Grecian-style that should work for almost anything. If not, I'll just raid my sister's closet. Works every time.

My budget is definitely more Kohls, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Loehmanns than Nordstroms, but I figure by starting to look now, I have a chance at anything I want ending up on the sale rack. (Like I'm hoping this does.)
    - Harry Dresden

I've gotten some name brand STEALS from TJ Maxx, so it's definitely worth it to browse around periodically. I dated a total clothes horse for awhile and at first I was a little worried how he was affording all this Ralph Lauren and stuff on a teacher's salary...well he shopped almost exclusively at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and up-scale consignment shops and paid a fraction of the retail value on everything.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Don't exclude your local thrift shops! I once found a designer NWT for $208 dress at Goodwill for $6. Not my size or style but I recognized quality when I saw it. You just have to go to the right side of town and be patient and have an open mind. Don't be afraid to get something that might need a cheap tailoring fix to make it perfect if it's only $10 to begin with.

Target.com has some cute stuff, reasonably priced.

http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-wome...lot=medium_1_1
    Last edited by SarahKing; Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added info
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Old Navy, $25:

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=386306032

I think there's 30% off that price this weekend, too.

I've been trying the thrift and consignment route with no luck so far, but you really have to be in the right place at the right time to make out like a bandit (like you did, wow!) Same principle as TJ's and Loehmanns really. I wish the Filenes near me hadn't closed.

That Old Navy dress is cute! Won't be flattering on me (I have enough in the hip department without a flared skirt there) but it would look great on my sister. I'll pass it on to her!
    - Harry Dresden

If this color floats your boat, this may be flattering:

http://www.thelimited.com/Lace-Sheat...d=new-arrivals

They also have a really pretty textured sheath dress I bought for work this weekend with the 40% off.

I don't typically buy clothing online (unless I have already tried on or own something that is the same brand, size and style), but a number of my friends have purchased attractive dresses for various occasions here: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses

There are lots of different options and many for under $100 that are still very classy (although there are some pretty unfortunate articles of clothing listed too).

Timely thread. My brother is getting married in June and I have been looking for a dress. Afternoon wedding on a Sunday, upscale locale.

I went to the mall (ACCCCKKKK) and tried stuff on at Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, and White House Black Market. Really love the dresses at WHBM, but they are pricey. Ann Taylor apparently thinks women who are a size 12 or 14 should not shop there because they didn't have any. The Limited had some great dresses but not nearly as many as on the website and not in a great selection of sizes.

I really love a lot of the J. Crew dresses, but I want to try them on and the stores never seem to have them all!!

Does anyone else only find dresses they love when they DON'T need a dress? I saw a dress I loved last year at TJ Maxx- polka dot shirt dress in Navy from Ralph Laurent. But at the time, I was like, $40 bucks I could spend on something else, so I didn't get it. Now I wish I had because I have future SIL's bridal shower quickly approaching. ARGH!!

Might also want to look at Shabby Apple. They have a lovely navy lace sheath with sleeves that is appropriate both afternoon and black tie.