The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A New "Canoeing" Thread

Just wondering ... (still on shore, haven't dipped one toe in the water yet) ...

What do you look for in a canoeing partner (CP)? Does age make a difference (your age or older/younger?).

I don't even know why I've called this a Canoeing thread; I've been a landlubber for years and likely to stay the same ...

If you know right away that a canoeist is a dreamboat, and longer acquaintance confirms this, and you both have experience with paddle and portage, what does that say to you? If you both enjoy horseback riding, would canoeing be a good idea too?

I know I'm not phrasing this well ... it's late and I'm sleepy ...

But I've just discovered there's this really nice river not far from home, and it might lead to the sea ... and these days I'd be glad to just go and look at canoes together .... picnic on the dock ...

Oh dear, I am not saying this at all well ... help ...
    Rack on!

Dude, what the heck are you trying to say? I can't tell if you are trying to have a one night stand or start up some sort of boat building horseback adventure vacation place?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Dude, what the heck are you trying to say? I can't tell if you are trying to have a one night stand or start up some sort of boat building horseback adventure vacation place?
    Sorry, but I really just laughed out loud.

OP, I think you're over thinking this whole canoeing thing. Sometimes you just gotta jump in.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Sorry, but I really just laughed out loud.

OP, I think you're over thinking this whole canoeing thing. Sometimes you just gotta jump in.
    Me too, SaturdayNightLive. Your reply sounds like your signature quote.

And I think you offer great advice -- one of the things I love about canoeing is the laughing out loud!
    Rack on!

sounds like a portage to the dock is in order, then may be an oar in the water. sometimes its better to just stick to the ridind and not cmplicated things with canoeing, but it sounds like you are invested in finding out. dare to dance the tides (assuming your potential canoeing partner is not already canoeing with anyone else)

1 members found this post helpful.

Have to say, in recent months, I've seen a couple of ads/signs for canoes - often while driving, and end up laughing out loud. Now another road hazard.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Right now I am enjoying the horseback riding a lot. But you know, where there's a river, there is also the presence of canoes, with paddles, in the background, as it were. So I just started wondering, what might happen if the subject of canoeing came up ... how would/should I respond ... right now I am trying to keep the very thought of canoes from even glimmering in my eye ...

CVPeg, if we are out horseback riding and happen to pass a billboard advertising canoes, I will probably laugh so hard I will fall off the horse!
    Rack on!

I haven't been canoeing with someone in a long time. I find that I canoe effectively on my own and am therefore less inclined to have someone else in my boat whom I have to train. Le sigh. I want Data, a fully functional Data, dammit!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

9 members found this post helpful.

Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I haven't been canoeing with someone in a long time. I find that I canoe effectively on my own and am therefore less inclined to have someone else in my boat whom I have to train. Le sigh. I want Data, a fully functional Data, dammit!
    Expert-level canoers are highly valued. I married one, and sometimes (like when I want to wring his neck) it's his saving grace. My favorite canoer before I met Mr. Heinz was also quite experienced and a really, really wonderful, shameless canoer that had been taught well in his early days. If you're into astrology, both Mr. Heinz and my previous favorite canoer are Tauruses, I've wondered if that has anything to do with it. Both are happy to take direction but need none (IMO). Previous favorite canoer and I saw each other for a number of years and I was NEVER bored, which is a major accomplishment in itself. I get bored easily while canoeing and lose interest quickly.

OP, assuming you are of an appropriate age to be canoeing, stop hesitating. I can't tell if you've never canoe'd, or if you're looking for a long-term canoe partner, or even if you're just looking for a quick paddle downstream.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I enjoy a quick paddle downstream, and for those canoeing partners I require that I know them a bit, generally enjoy their company, and I trust them not to throw my paddle overboard. I think people often overthink canoeing, but then I'm from the Canoe and the City generation.

My first canoeing expedition with last BF was close to disastrous since we never really left shore but he made up for it later with some major dedication and fast learning. So if you really like someone, don't write them off after a bad first trip.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post

My first canoeing expedition with last BF was close to disastrous since we never really left shore but he made up for it later with some major dedication and fast learning. So if you really like someone, don't write them off after a bad first trip.
    On the other side of the coin...if they don't significantly improve after a few tries, don't waste time. I dated a really NICE canoer that was fantastic in all ways BUT canoeing. He never did get better and it was awful!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    On the other side of the coin...if they don't significantly improve after a few tries, don't waste time. I dated a really NICE canoer that was fantastic in all ways BUT canoeing. He never did get better and it was awful!
    yep. that sucks. I agree that a good canoe partner is a great thing, and is probably related to being able to canoe skillfully solo as well. And I would so much rather paddle my own canoe than battle the rapids (if we ever get there) with a poor canoe partner,for whatever reason. Of course, some trips that never get near the rapids can still be a whole lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Of course, some trips that never get near the rapids can still be a whole lot of fun.
    This particular canoer was bad at all things canoe-related, unfortunately... which sucks, because otherwise he's great husband material and is fantastic to look at. He pretty much tipped the canoe over and dumped us both in the water, and then held me under with no life jacket (yes, it was THAT bad). I very nearly asked him what the HELL he was doing more than once.

Best. Post. EVAR!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

Paula

Can I have the numbers of your previous canoe paddlers?.....Please?

Expert-level canoers are highly valued. I married one, and sometimes (like when I want to wring his neck) it's his saving grace. My favorite canoer before I met Mr. Heinz was also quite experienced and a really, really wonderful, shameless canoer that had been taught well in his early days. If you're into astrology, both Mr. Heinz and my previous favorite canoer are Tauruses, I've wondered if that has anything to do with it. Both are happy to take direction but need none (IMO). Previous favorite canoer and I saw each other for a number of years and I was NEVER bored, which is a major accomplishment in itself. I get bored easily while canoeing and lose interest quickly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    Can I have the numbers of your previous canoe paddlers?.....Please?
    You mean the phone numbers, or the actual count of canoeing partners?

This particular canoer was bad at all things canoe-related, unfortunately... which sucks, because otherwise he's great husband material and is fantastic to look at. He pretty much tipped the canoe over and dumped us both in the water, and then held me under with no life jacket (yes, it was THAT bad). I very nearly asked him what the HELL he was doing more than once.
    Oh.......wow. THOSE kind of trips. No. Partner can canoe solo and I'll just wait on the dock, reading. i'm too old for that. People could get hurt.

Canoe and the City ... Love it!

I have had canoeists tell me I am good at canoeing. Good with paddles (never dropped one in the water, etc.) yet apparently can make quite a splash when appropriate.

For many yearsnow I have paddled my own canoe, as it were, (missing some former fellow canoeists but not really mourning them), and that has been fine. So now, when I have reached an age when I thought I was too old even for canoeing without a partner, I discover a river runs right by my house and there is a canoe on the dock complete with paddles! Well, what's a girl to do? Hello, I find I've still got thwarts in my gunwales after all!

Guess I will just keep riding out by the dock for now, maybe work on the canoe sometimes (it's a bit weatherworn and has been in drydock so needs some TLC, just like a good saddle). And should it suddenly flip itself over or upend itself and launch itself, why, I might just step aboard and take hold of a paddle.

Tonight seeing my thread up in boldface type on the OT forum when I logged on really made my night--I have never before seen a thread title of mine up in lights like that! Thanks for the replies putting it up there!
    Last edited by Rackonteur; Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Rack on!

Phone numbers I could use a canoeing partner that does not need a map.

You mean the phone numbers, or the actual count of canoeing partners?

2 members found this post helpful.