The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any interview tips?

I've had the same job (teaching) for the past 15 years, so my interview skills are pretty rusty. I have a big interview coming up in a couple weeks, so I'll take any tips I can get! The thing I'm stressing over is that this isn't a typical classroom position. It's an alternative school where I would be acting as a facilitator for students who are taking various classes online. If this were an interview for a traditional position, I wouldn't be so worried, but what does one talk about when there are no lesson plans? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Evil HR Lady. Google it, read and learn
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would google "interview questions" or similar - a lot of interviewers are too lazy to do more than that, so often you can be pretty well prepared for the questions. I think the best thing to do is to think over in advance 3-4 situations that you feel you can brag on in your past jobs - chances are that you can make those examples fit a LOT of questions. Good luck! Most of all, just try not to stress about it. Appearing confident and relaxed usually goes further than having the perfect answer anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Evil HR Lady. Google it, read and learn
    I just wanted to say thank you for that tip! She has a few entries about an interview problem I've had recently. Made me feel better!

To the OP: do some background reading about being a teacher in the situation you are interviewing about. Google it and I'm sure you'll find some info that will provoke questions. Write the ?s down and have them handy in the interview. Also, if you will be hired by a company or school district - do some research about the organization as well.

Also, think about what you can do for the organization - how your past experience can benefit them.

Good luck!!!

Definitely come up with answers to standard questions, and practice talking through them out loud. Do you say "um" or "uh" a lot when you're thinking? Now's the time to work on not doing that - pause, take a minute to come up with your response, and then start talking.

Also, don't forget to prepare a few questions of your own to ask during the interview.

And, have you heard of the "Power pose?" I'm trying to remember where I heard of it - it was recent. Anyways, someone did a study (yeah, if I could just remember the source this would be much more convincing!) and found that when people go into the "power pose" for something like 2 minutes before an interview, they are much more successful. "Power pose" meaning a position of authority and confidence - stand with your legs apart, arms stretched out up in the air, basically taking up as much space as you can.

Actually, just found an article on it. Check it out: http://www.businessinsider.com/power...erview-2012-11

Good luck!

Definitely come up with answers to standard questions, and practice talking through them out loud. Do you say "um" or "uh" a lot when you're thinking? Now's the time to work on not doing that - pause, take a minute to come up with your response, and then start talking.

Also, don't forget to prepare a few questions of your own to ask during the interview.

And, have you heard of the "Power pose?" I'm trying to remember where I heard of it - it was recent. Anyways, someone did a study (yeah, if I could just remember the source this would be much more convincing!) and found that when people go into the "power pose" for something like 2 minutes before an interview, they are much more successful. "Power pose" meaning a position of authority and confidence - stand with your legs apart, arms stretched out up in the air, basically taking up as much space as you can.

Actually, just found an article on it. Check it out: http://www.businessinsider.com/power...erview-2012-11

Good luck!