The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Darkening an Amerigo saddle with blue ribbon oil?

I recently got a new Amerigo DJ for a great deal , the only thing I don't love about it is the colour. It is their Newmarket colour, which is not my favourite and doesn't really match any of my tack. Its pretty much orange. I ordered some Blue Ribbon saddle oils since I saw this thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bon-Saddle-Oil but it won't even touch the colour of the flaps. It absorbs in the seat and knee pads but it won't absorb into the flaps at all. The color almost looks as if it's layered on. Also I'm not sure if the oil is the same as before, as I had heard this oil was supposed to have a green tint and this stuff only has a bit of a pink tinge to it. I contacted Amerigo to see if they had any recommendations to darken it and I was just told that there's nothing I could do without wrecking the leather. Its a long shot but does anyone have any ideas? It's a lovely saddle otherwise, the color is just... Ick.

CWD's leather cream does a decent job of darkening. Otherwise, you really have to just use it.

No comment on the color, but I bought a DJ about 6 months ago, and I absolutely love it!! Mine is black (I wouldn't have picked it, but the saddle almost fell into my hands and I couldn't pass up the way it fit both me and my horse!), so I didn't have any darkening issue.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I'm not sure how they dye/color the Amerigo saddles, but the flaps definitely seem like the color is sealed on top of the leather. I have an oakbark Amerigo CC that I'm selling because it no longer fits my horse. While it is a beautiful saddle, the "top color" where the leathers rub has worn off. Its not a big deal, and it does take oil there now, but it makes photographing it for sale difficult. Unless you are close up to inspect the saddle, the rubbing is much less offensive than it shows up in pictures.

Good luck trying to get your saddle to darken, sorry I truly don't think there is anything you will be able to do since the flaps seem sealed on top.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Dye is the only way to change leather color that much.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Interesting. The Walsh Oil that I use, which was supposedly the same as the Blue Ribbon Oil, does not sound like the same oil at all. My Walsh Oil has so much dark greenish stain in it that it is almost black. It is this stain that is darkening my impossible to darken saddle. To give an idea: My friend and I both bought Collegiate Alumni saddles (which we both love, except for the bright orange color). My friend has been using mostly Passier Lederbalsam, and hers is still bright orange. I've been using Walsh Oil, and mine is now a dark oakbark tending toward havana. It would be darker, but I tried so many oils before I found the Walsh, that I have to be very sparing to avoid over-oiling. It's getting there. My advice: Buy the real Walsh Oil!
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

The oil I got doesn't have the dark green tinge either, but it does darken a bit.

Hey mojo, wanna ship me about 200 ml of yours?? Or let me know where you got it??
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Uh oh, I went to the Walsh site where I ordered it before, and I couldn't find it! I sent the company a message asking if they still make it and how to order. I will update here with their response.

Jenners, I would be happy to oblige, but I have only a tiny bit left, with more saddle-darkening needed. Let's hope they still make it! I really don't think there is another way to darken stubborn leather effectively, short of dying it. Keep your fingers crossed!

I ran a Google search and only found two:

http://www.shop.equinetan.com/product.sc?productId=1299
    and
    https://www.4showhorsetack.com/produ...22sdt560jjr3j6

Both say they darken new or light leather, but I can tell you that the second link, the container looks like mine at home. While it DOES darker leather...it is not the dark green everyone talks about. Which do you have?

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have the Walsh Clean n Treat shown in the picture in the first link. The title there says Blue Ribbon, but that is not what it says on my bottle, or in the picture. I'm relieved that you found a source, just hoping that it is the dark green/black staining formula, and not some different, lighter version. (Hoping Walsh will respond to my message on Monday)

Well that's good to know. I bought the blue ribbon oil from 4showhorsetack.com. I really wanted to dark greenish stuff. Guess I'll have to spend another $50 to get a tiny jug of oil to Canada

I used mink oil with great success on my very orange Pessoa after reading about it on this thread

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...arkening-Gurus

That being said- I'd been using the saddle for about 6 years, and it took ALOT of elbow grease to work it into the seat (flaps weren't an issue). Not suggesting you use it for 6 years and then try again, but maybe with some gentle use the leather on the flaps will open up a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by PoniesAndUp View Post
    Well that's good to know. I bought the blue ribbon oil from 4showhorsetack.com. I really wanted to dark greenish stuff. Guess I'll have to spend another $50 to get a tiny jug of oil to Canada
    Have you gone to harness shops? - even Greenhawk had some Walsh oil, also any shop that carries much in Walsh can usually bring in special order Walsh products at rather less than the shipping/brokerage fees you have to pay as an "independent".

I strongly recommend NOT using straight oil on any tack, and most especially on calf-covered leather. Modern leathers in general don't require straight oil, and using oil on covered leathers (which are glued on over a sturdier leather) can dissolve the glue and delaminate the leather. Commercially available conditioners have a good balance of fats, oils and waxes, and can be used to darken the leather. Two conditioners with a higher oil content are Effax and Passier Lederbalsam; you can use them without worrying about over-oiling and delamination.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Have you gone to harness shops? - even Greenhawk had some Walsh oil, also any shop that carries much in Walsh can usually bring in special order Walsh products at rather less than the shipping/brokerage fees you have to pay as an "independent".
    Oh that is great to know. Greenhawk doesn't show it on their website but I am going to call the nearest one and see if they can get it!

I used mink oil, spent a whole night heating my saddle in stages in front of the fireplace and massaging the mink oil in...,.darkening properties lasted a few rides.

What kitt said...don't straight oil your saddle!!! Saddles, especially calf skin, should not be oiled. My Prestige is over a year old and it got one original oil and that's it. Saddles would last so much longer if their owners weren't using so much product on them. Effax and Lederbalsm are also both things I would suggest!
    aka Amanda
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

1 members found this post helpful.

The Walsh Oil, in addition to darkening, made my saddle supple, grippy, clean and not gunky, all around just right. I do have the cheaper grain leather, rather than the calfskin, so can't advise about that. I still haven't heard back from Walsh responding to my queries. I'd be reluctant to order from the link above, because they call the oil Blue Ribbon, instead of Walsh, even though the picture they show is definitely Walsh Oil. I will update if and when they respond.

OK, so Walsh responded and said that yes, they do still make the Walsh Oil with the green/black stain, and you can get it on their website. www.walshproducts.com Maybe it's because I'm on an i-pad, but I could not find it on the site. I clicked on the products button, and found all kinds of nice tack, but no oil. Well, I'll just call their number when I want to order more, which will be soon. Just glad it's available!

Hey mojo, maybe you should try to get a direct link from them? I tried to place an order on the site that had the bottle like the one you have, only to have them call me a few hours later, cancel my order and tell me the Web site was out of date, they don't have it and don't carry it and won't carry it, and recommended Fiebrings. And was quite rude about it too. Actually hung up on me instead of saying "bye" or anything of the sort.

And I poured through Walsh's online catalogue and couldn't find it. Couldn't find any oil, actually.