The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Won't amnesty make this null and void?

For all your amnesty questions, please turn to the expert, President Ronald Reagan.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    For all your amnesty questions, please turn to the expert, President Ronald Reagan.

True. The 1986 Amnesty was touted as the one and only amnesty agreement. What it did was encourage more illegals to cross our borders in the hope of benefiting from food stamps and other benefits. What a crock...
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

1 members found this post helpful.

Didn't read the whole thread but my rant isn't about the topics so much as the Very Expensive Form Of Government That Amounts To Serial Crises.

So tired of the drama du jour when, hey, the truth of the matter is that we have been running out of wealth since the end of the Cold War. Let's put that at 1989, the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Call it the Fiscal Cliff (now we don't talk about that any more) or Sequestration (a term that makes so little sense) or the games of chicken played by both parties....I'm so done with it. I can only assume that the reason this goes on is that members of Congress are personally wealth and well-insulated from the effects of their piss-poor governance. Their mistakes make no material difference to them, so this is just a gentleman's game of chess.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread but my rant isn't about the topics so much as the Very Expensive Form Of Government That Amounts To Serial Crises.

So tired of the drama du jour when, hey, the truth of the matter is that we have been running out of wealth since the end of the Cold War. Let's put that at 1989, the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Call it the Fiscal Cliff (now we don't talk about that any more) or Sequestration (a term that makes so little sense) or the games of chicken played by both parties....I'm so done with it. I can only assume that the reason this goes on is that members of Congress are personally wealth and well-insulated from the effects of their piss-poor governance. Their mistakes make no material difference to them, so this is just a gentleman's game of chess.

I agree. I am sick to death of the shenanigans politicians are pulling all the time. One thing after another with little regard for the impact their decisions have on the rest of us. And then when elections get close they flip flop on issues and often get re-elected by 'low information' voters.
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

I agree. I am sick to death of the shenanigans politicians are pulling all the time. One thing after another with little regard for the impact their decisions have on the rest of us. And then when elections get close they flip flop on issues and often get re-elected by 'low information' voters.
    I wonder if this is a Downfall of Civilization thing. We now do splashy, crisis-driven politics. If it doesn't look like an episode of Bad Girls Club, it won't be newsy enough? It's a stylistic choice, issues aside.

Being old and well-educated, I attribute this to the anti-intellectualism of the last 30 years, and maybe the TV-ification of information. No sustained argument, no value for people who are careful and contemplative in their politics, nothing communicated that can't fit into a sound bite (and therefore, no effective politics that are based on reason, but the quicker gut-reaction ideas you can fit into 15 seconds).
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/03/4414...teful-spending

Just some of the important things our government is funding.

I am so done with the current administration and 99% of Congress! First, the sky is falling if the 'sequester' happens and as some have posted here, they are losing their jobs yet the Obama kids have gone on 3 vacays so far this year, Biden's travel costs are sky high, Kerry hands $250 million to Egypt, and we don't see Congress giving up anything. Very telling when an email surfaces with instructions to make sure ordinary people are hurt by the sequester-
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ised/?page=all
    McCain and clan witness a women scaling the border fence yet argues for amnesty for low skilled illegals. Joe Wilson gets slammed for called out Obama ("You lie!") when he states illegals will not be eligible for Obamacare and lo and behold, guess what? He LIED!
    Middle class taxpayers are crumbling under the burden of being forced to support all this. And the most frustrating thing is MSM makes sure the stories are quickly buried-
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ho_712194.html

Sick of it! Anyone else? And keep the name calling off this thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the usual suspects that resort to childish crap instead of intelligent debate can just ignore this thread.
    I also agree.

Kathy s,

Another agree!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Dr. Ben Carson!
    The same Dr. Ben Carson who was supposed to give the commencement to Johns Hopkins Medical School, but the student body has asked him not to after comparing gay marriage to bestiality? That one?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Why would you have never thought this? I think it's perfectly fine to have someplace, one sanctuary state, where we can have our way on the life of an unborn child. There's always the other 49 states for people who don't like this law.

There are some of us who believe that a child is a child from the moment of conception and that abortion is murder. Legally, women have the right to kill their unborn child in all states. North Dakota's law says not after a heart beat is heard. Why is that not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I am so sick of the GOP. Really, 2013 and we have a state (ND) passing the most extreme anti-abortion bill. Full rights at conception......wow, never would have thought.

Yes, I am fed up as well. Langauge to allow non-citizens health care coverage in the Affordable Care Act does not exist. They always received care from the emergency care centers. Read Much ?

This is probably the best immigration reform that we could have. Mexico needs to take back its country, make it safe for their citizens and make it a place where Mexicans can improve their own lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Well, I heard on NPR some info. that ought to make it not so much of an issue. Mexico already has national health care and their economy is improving, so illegals are not so willing to come over here and do hard labor for $5 an hour. They can stay in Mexico and do so AND get health care, and all the people here complaining about immigrants taking all of the jobs can flock to the fields to fill the jobs that they will be leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Being old and well-educated, I attribute this to the anti-intellectualism of the last 30 years, and maybe the TV-ification of information. No sustained argument, no value for people who are careful and contemplative in their politics, nothing communicated that can't fit into a sound bite (and therefore, no effective politics that are based on reason, but the quicker gut-reaction ideas you can fit into 15 seconds).
    I agree. I have been calling it the Public Policy By Bumpersticker Syndrome. If it doesn't look good on a bumpersticker it isn't worth the effort.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.