The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Endometrial (Uterine) ablation: Did you get your life back?

Perfect day for off topic day! I am nearly 43 and the last couple years my periods have become longer, almost unbearably painful, and come and go all month long if you know what I mean. Several days a month I struggle to be effective and present at work, and riding my pony is impossible. I do not do well with hormones (serious panic/anxiety attacks in the past, as well as moodiness and depression). My doctor says there are 3 options: try the hormone roller coaster again, hysterectomy or ablation. For my case we have settled on the ablation first.

My surgery is on Friday and I admit it, I am terrified. Scared of the procedure, the complications, and most of all scared it wont help. I feel like I don't have a life for almost 1 week a month, and live in constant fear of a major accident, mostly at work.

Anyone have this done? Did you get your life back? Give me strength and tell me there is hope!

Had or four years ago. Wish I had done it sooner. No more anemia. No more days where I'm afraid to leave the house. Had mine in the hospital under general anesthesia. I felt dull for a couple of days, more from the anesthesia than the actual procedure. Now I have only mild cramps, a very short course, and very little output. Good luck.

I had it done three years ago and had quite an easy go of it. YMMV, but I had out patient surgery, was under for the procedure had cramps that night, and was operating at 95% the next day. I had minimal discharge for about a month, and nothing (and I mean nothing) since. I'm 48, so should be hitting menopause soon, although how I'll know, I'm not exactly clear.

So, for me, an easy solution.