The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can someone tell these idiots that horses can't choke?

From the Carriage horse Cruelty FB page. Who knew feeding carrots to horses was abuse?

Carriage Horse Cruelty shared a link.
    16 hours ago
    Look at these idiotic carriage drivers allowing the concierge from the Ritz Carlton and this small child to feed their horses whole carrots with the leaves included one after the other. The horses have bits in their mouths and should not be eating whole carrots like that. This is a choking hazard. The carriage horse industry goons are always carrying on about how they are horse experts and how we don't know anything. Yeah, real experts.

KumiShow New York Horses
    www.youtube.com
    Kumi in New York City gets to feed the carriage horses at Central Park.
    29Share
    57 people like this.
    View 19 more comments

Flame Joyce Simcosby please post a petition link. A god ain't it awful story isn't helpful.
    5 hours ago

Gary- Sue Walske I'd love for those "expert" drivers themselves to pull those carriages for just one day/night....hitch up an entire team of 'em and giddy-up!
    3 hours ago
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

.....but horses CAN choke

33 members found this post helpful.

My horse did choke on a treat with a bridle in. Took over a month to clear up fully, that is why most people are taught to not feed horses with the bit in.

7 members found this post helpful.

Heck I have known several horses choke even without a bit.

13 members found this post helpful.

....who told you horses can't choke? They have a wind pipe don't they? D'oh. It's not abuse, though it isn't wise - but it's no like people don't do it every day.

9 members found this post helpful.

Try feeding unsoaked whole hay cubes and see what your vet says when you have to call him!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    My horse did choke on a treat with a bridle in. Took over a month to clear up fully, that is why most people are taught to not feed horses with the bit in.
    LOL,

I mean not at your horse choking...

but no. from where I am looking, feeding with bridle on is not done because you have to clean it later.

but sheesh, the carriage people can't win. Give the horse a treat you are trying to kill it, give them nothing, you are starving them...

the shrieking Nelly is still an idiot.

Yes, horses can choke. How many do? one in a million? More? Less?
    It is not an everyday occurrence. bit in or no, probably a freak accident, like when I choke on my own saliva....because I am doing something stupid by accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Right but not choke as in asphyxiate. I don't think their concern is with getting a blockage.

And I love that they point out that the leaves are still on the carrots, oh my!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    probably organic carrots - the EVIL!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

My horses LOVE the leaves!

2 members found this post helpful.

a) horses *can* choke, but it's not a serious risk here.
    b) maybe they should tell the Animal Rescue League to stop this ...<G>
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL,

I mean not at your horse choking...

but no. from where I am looking, feeding with bridle on is not done because you have to clean it later.

Wow seriously you think it's to avoid washing bits?

I have had that drilled into my head since I was a kid that it was a choke hazard. I will admit to not believing it and tempting fate. Took a few years but boy did I feel guilty after my guy choked and had had a constant cough for a month because he injured his wind pipe. We had to soak all feed and avoid hay for a while till the inflammation finally died down.

Also over the years I have known many horses who couldn't have carrots or apples whole as they wouldn't chew them properly and had choked sufficiently that the vet had to be called.

I have known a few that developed pneumonia after such a choke and know 2 that died due to not having the vet out and developing pneumonia that didn't respond to treatment when the vet was finally called. Horses are pretty accident prone no need to tempt fate.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    I believe they point out the leaves because if you have ever like myself tempted fate and allowed your horse to graze with a bit in you see they can get the grass wrapped around the bit. I always used to just pull the tangled mass out but now I have a strict no eating with the bit in policy as my horse is a bit "special".

Incidentally he has a really low palate so that may increase his choke risk. I never had the issue with my other horses, but then they were also mares and less prone to suicide than this fellow.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think a single person posting over there knows that "choke" in a horse doesn't block their airway. They think of choking in the way a person can choke.

I can see why some horse people would have a preference for how they feed treats, but misleading the non-horse people by making it seem like we're one carrot away from seeing a horse gasping its dying breath in the street is a little ridiculous.

5 members found this post helpful.

I wish someone would tell my horse that

when we go out hacking in the summer, he likes to pretend he is a giraffe. At 17.3, he does a pretty good job at at it too.

If you happened to be walking or riding through the trails/fields nearby, all you'll hear is me growling "No...no...noooo...no, a**hole...no corn stalks! Nooooooo! Stttooop it!"
    Last edited by wcporter; Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I think we already have a thread on this one.

I have had that drilled into my head since I was a kid that it was a choke hazard. I will admit to not believing it and tempting fate. Took a few years but boy did I feel guilty after my guy choked and had had a constant cough for a month because he injured his wind pipe. We had to soak all feed and avoid hay for a while till the inflammation finally died down.

Also over the years I have known many horses who couldn't have carrots or apples whole as they wouldn't chew them properly and had choked sufficiently that the vet had to be called.

I have known a few that developed pneumonia after such a choke and know 2 that died due to not having the vet out and developing pneumonia that didn't respond to treatment when the vet was finally called. Horses are pretty accident prone no need to tempt fate.
    Sure sounds like you have known a group of horses with bad luck

Most have never seen a horse or two who have "broken" into a carrot patch. The carrots..enormous were dangling from their mouths...one was 3 inches across..and yet the horse was trying to jam it into its mouth. No deaths and no choking

Regarding cleaning bits. Yes..that is why cowboys also said..don't let the horses graze while you are riding them. When you come to a stop you can slip their bridle off..and put it over the neck "so you don't have to clean the bit" They would also say...you don't want to use dirty eating utensils so don't give a horse a dirty or cold bit.

The odds of developing pneumonia that wouldn't respond would be such a rarity that it would not be eligible to "set a standard"

When rodeos used to have their pony palaces where they had a saddle, bridle and went around with the child on their back..in a circle..you could also purchase a nickle carrot to feed the pony after you got off (usually you had your picture taken with it while you were feeding it)

Solution..Carriage drivers just ask them to break the carrot up.

Carriage drivers should ask if the protestor has ever given a dog a treat. I have had numerous dogs choke on milk bone when it went into their mouths sideways. I now just break them up.

I'll just comment as a carriage driver who for years always carried carrots on board so the kids could give the horse a carrot after the ride- in this situation- it's best to have whole carrots and to instruct people to hold it by one end and offer it straight in (not flat in your hand as everyone seems to have been taught- that always leads to a kid snatching their hand away in fear right at the critical moment and a carrot knocked in the street) It keeps inexperienced fingers far from the mouth and makes it a LOT easier for the horse to get the bitten off carrot back past the bit and alligned with his molars to munch. Flat palm feeding gets people covered with horse slobber is dangerous with great big horses and little tiny hands and the horse winds up mouthing the sideways piece forever and making a mess. So the better solution is to not let the horse have the whole carrot at once- but to let him bite it off in about three pieces.

11 members found this post helpful.

the leather

bit gets a quick rinse but the other parts do better not caked in gunk and washed too often

yes, we can 100% avoid choking and choke:
    We just stop feeding......

good grief!

1 members found this post helpful.