The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is your biggest pet-peeve at work?

I'm sure there's another thread similar to this somewhere but oh well...I am sort of the "office manager" at my wonderful job. I do anything from paralegal work to running errands. I work with 3 other men (not sure if that makes a difference?) but at least once a week I will come in and there is always an empty toilet paper roll in the bathroom. Of course the full roll is hanging out on the toilet bowl but the empty one is NEVER thrown away!! I am laughing while I type this but it drives me insane. Is it so hard to throw that empty roll away?? What do your co-workers do/say/etc that drive you crazy?

Not making coffee! We have several coffee makers around the building, the coffee is free. All you have to do is put coffee in a filter and press "Start", they are hard wired into the plumbing. Every single time I go to get a cup of coffee, it is empty, with the burner still on . I must make three pots a day, to drink my three cups a day. Apparently their wife or mother makes the coffee for them at home.

Being digusting in the bathroom. I find pee on the seats, toilet paper all over the floor and seats, sometimes even crap on the seats. In the ladies room! Do they act like this at home? Women who talk on their cell phones while sitting on the pot. Am I supposed to wait to flush so their conversation partner isn't grossed out by where they are?

Poor cubicle etiquette. Clipping their nails in cubes. Too much perfume in cubes. Using speaker phones in cubes.

Co-workers who always want to joke with me. Personally I just want to get my check and go home!!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm a teacher, and there are plenty of things that irritate me, but right now, it's GUM! 108 kids a day chewing it, smacking it, popping it....Gah! Yes, there's a no gum rule, but as soon as you ask one to spit it out, they shove more back in. It's like having a herd of cattle chewing their cud. Drives. Me. Nuts.

I even came home the other day and my DH was chawing on gum.....ahhhhhhhhhh!
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I work in what is probably one of the most highly regulated places on the planet.
    Mine is the fact that my supervisor delegates a huge portion of her work to me, and constantly asks me what to do. She cannot answer a question or make a decision on her own. When I go to her with a legit question (having done everything possible to try and answer it myself) her answer always is: "What do you think?"
    Additionally, I have to protect our 'required by the federal government program' from this supervisor. The rules we HAVE to follow she just 'forgets' over and over again.
    Me, the lowest of the low, should NEVER have to protect our program from the supervisor who is responsible for administering it.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

2 members found this post helpful.

People who don't mute (or at least turn-down) their machine noise. Who wants to listen to your constant IM pinging all day long? It's like chinese water torture to me.

The other thing that drives me personally crazy is how the woman across the aisle has her computer monitor positioned so that she is facing directly into my cubicle. The cubicles are set up so that the natural position is in the corner, facing away from the aisle. I feel like I am being stared at all day! I know that she is not really looking at me, but it feels that way. There is already so little privacy, at least the way the cube is designed is to give everyone as much as possible and I resent this person has taken mine away (my colleague thinks I'm nuts, but he, on the other hand, does not have someone looking into HIS cube all day). ARGH! The little things that can drive one crazy day-after-day.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Oh, boy...where to start. My primary annoyance is the gold-digging pop tart who sits in the cubicle next to me. She avoids as much work as possible, stands on the bathroom toilets and pees on them, hides out in other parts of the office and/or building so that her bosses can't find her, produces poor quality work, asks annoying questions about what she should post and respond to on Facebook, and her only real goal in life seems to be falling all over some millionaire guy who lives in Georgetown as one of his groupies in hopes that he will notice her as more than a friend, fall in love with her, and marry her. It's quite ridiculous really. Everything else at my job that annoys me pales in comparison.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

^I'll ask the obvious...why does she still have a job when there are so many people without one?!!

Mine is bosses who behave unprofessionally. If you have a problem with how I do something, please go directly to me about it rather than behind my back. Thank you. (yes....that was a hint that it is more likely the boss with the problem than me doing anything wrong! Argh!).
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I have several but the present topper are the ladies in the office who can't get along and whine to me about each other!!! Come on people you aren't eighth graders!!!!
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Mine is bosses who behave unprofessionally. If you have a problem with how I do something, please go directly to me about it rather than behind my back. Thank you. (yes....that was a hint that it is more likely the boss with the problem than me doing anything wrong! Argh!).
    My boss recently went to MY MOTHER IN LAW with something she had an issue with. (They know each other and my MIL is in the office one day a week). Almost had a law suit over that one, as it was a total fabrication that came from another co-worker I don't get along with too well (though I work with her just fine, or so I thought) and it was a pretty big accusation. Boss got a giant earful from me and is now terrified of me.

I've got to get back into doing horses for a living again. I assumed this "real world" workplace thing would be a cake walk after 20 years of dealing with students, training clients, and boarders. Was wrong on that.

Guess I'm just used to THAT kind of crazy, and not the outside world cray cray.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    ^I'll ask the obvious...why does she still have a job when there are so many people without one?!!
    Oh, believe me...several of us have asked that question! For whatever reason, her main boss seems to REALLY like her. She puts on the sweet little subservient act, literally bows to him, and acts like she's 12. Fortunately, the other attorney she works for is a woman and is not at all fooled by her. Once this woman is back from maternity leave, we fully expect that the pop tart may not have a job for much longer.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

glfprns--I'm a teacher, too, and DESPISE gum chewing, anywhere, anyone. We have a no gum rule, so I "moo" at the kids. If they "huh?" me, I ask them if they are a cow chewing their cud, or illegally chewing gum. Disgusting habit.

My biggest pet peeve at work right now is teachers not doing their damn job, passing on kids who can't read or write (see my giving 50% for missing work thread) and passing on the problem to other teachers to fix it, or setting up kids to fail when they face high school or real life. I have about 10 of 90 kids who are basically functional illiterates, passing every other class because they know how to cheat or play the game, but they can't actually read or understand a questions--just copy words of mimic.

My biggest pet peeve is being there I hate my job!

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    My boss recently went to MY MOTHER IN LAW with something she had an issue with. (They know each other and my MIL is in the office one day a week). Almost had a law suit over that one, as it was a total fabrication that came from another co-worker I don't get along with too well (though I work with her just fine, or so I thought) and it was a pretty big accusation. Boss got a giant earful from me and is now terrified of me.

I've got to get back into doing horses for a living again. I assumed this "real world" workplace thing would be a cake walk after 20 years of dealing with students, training clients, and boarders. Was wrong on that.

Guess I'm just used to THAT kind of crazy, and not the outside world cray cray.
    Unfortunately my situation was in the horse world . Trainer, instead of talking to me about which horses I rode, got one of her boarders to do so. Um, WTF?!!! Obviously that's the short version, but I don't want to derail the thread.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Coworkers who come in and chew your ear off with social chatter without having the courtesy to at least ASK if its an okay time. Beyond irritating. Daily irritation for me! In the grand scheme of things, I have a terrific work environment and this is a minor thing... But it doesn't make it not annoying.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

People who don't understand the concept of an INDOOR voice!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Well, I am handing in my notice Monday (April Fool, suckahs!) and retiring at the end of April, but if I had to stay it would be the Pot Stirrer - the employee who badmouths someone/everyone behind their back then is all smiles to their face.

I cannot play that game.
    I fell into the trap with our Major PS - had an email volleyball going on about a coworker. I know, shame on me.
    But when I called a halt PS made a show of being besties with the target.

Hate the fakery.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Ninth Circuit Court...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

[QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;6910241]glfprns--I'm a teacher, too, and DESPISE gum chewing, anywhere, anyone. We have a no gum rule, so I "moo" at the kids. If they "huh?" me, I ask them if they are a cow chewing their cud, or illegally chewing gum. Disgusting habit.

I had a Latin teacher in high school who - if he caught you chewing gum in class - would make you put it on your nose for the rest of the class. Of course, that would probably invite a lawsuit today.

My pet peeve is my passive aggressive coworker with whom i share equal responsibility for managing a program. I have a flexible schedule (approved by our boss) so that i am able to ride a few times a week. I never miss a deadline and do almost all of the heavy lifting. She believes that because her butt is in the seat M-F from 8-5, she is more committed and free to complain loudly to anyone who will listen that i am a slacker and that flexible schedules and telecommuting are terrible policies. No matter that she spends most of her time at work gossiping, shopping online and updating her Facebook status. Fortunately my boss ignores her.

Ah - I feel better already.

Quote Originally Posted by twostinkydogs View Post

I had a Latin teacher in high school who - if he caught you chewing gum in class - would make you put it on your nose for the rest of the class. Of course, that would probably invite a lawsuit today.
    When I was a kid, if we were caught chewing gum in school, we had to come in on Saturday and scrape ALL the gum off the bottom of the desks and chairs. Imagine how that would go over now . I only had to scrape gum once, learned my lesson!