The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think most of those preppers are just Hoarders giving their madness an excuse.

I don't see how you can prepare for "the worst"- who knows what form it will take? if it's a horrible illness what you would need would be very different than an invasion of aliens.

Stay healthy and alert and acquire skills instead of hoarding food and weapons.

3 members found this post helpful.

Regardless of what form an emergency takes there are some things that apply to all emergencies. No matter if it's a hurricane, a sun storm blowing the power grid, or a collapse of essential services in the US due to who knows what, you HAVE to eat. Grocery stores typically have a THREE day supply of food. Just look at how quickly they sell out when people rush to the store to stock up for a crisis now. What if that crisis was going to last longer than a day or two? A month? Three or six months? Get it? We all need food...it's critical and the vast vast majority of Americans depend on the grocery for their food and have very little on hand. In the book One Second After, a EMP terrorist attack perpetrated by setting three nukes off in the atmosphere over the US (very real scenario particularly considering who has nukes now) people started starving to death in the US in one month and 80% of our population will be dead in 3 months if something were to happen to disrupt our ability to transport food. EMP shuts down all electronics from your car to your cell phone. Most of the food items in the grocery store travel 1500 miles on average to get there. See a problem with that?

The second need is Water and it might be more important than food in many ways. Can you get water if your tap stops working? Will it be contaminated? What if your generator won't work because it's circuits are fried? EMP can happen due to sun storms also and has before. What if the Red Cross doesn't come and bring you fresh water? You'll die faster from lack of water than lack of food.

Another big one is medications. Lots of Americans are alive or "healthy" due to prescription meds and some of those meds are perishable like insulin. Think what might happen if someone can't get their prescription refilled. I know I'll be miserable without my allergy meds.

So even though we can't know what will happen, there are some pretty basic needs we all have.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I don't see how you can prepare for "the worst"- who knows what form it will take? if it's a horrible illness what you would need would be very different than an invasion of aliens.
    You must not know any preppers, then. People take this very seriously - it's not a game to them, and they have prepared for numerous scenarios.

Most of them don't simply hoard food, although having ready access to food is important.

I agree with DDB - Clean water, food ready to eat, a way to acquire more food (gardens, livestock, etc.), a way heat your home/cook, protection of your supplies (which, living close to a medium sized city and two hours from NYC, is one of my biggest fears - even if we were prepared to the hilt, could we protect ourselves from the unprepared?) -- and these apply to just about any scenario from a 3 day power outage, to a fuel shortage, or an economic collapse. Most preppers probably aren't prepared for a lifetime of living off the land, but if something happens that makes that a possibility (e.g. EMP like One Second After), they will outlive the unprepared and resources will become more available.

Most real preppers don't prepare for a zombie apocalypse, that's just for TV.

Grocery stores typically have a THREE day supply of food. Just look at how quickly they sell out when people rush to the store to stock up for a crisis now. What if that crisis was going to last longer than a day or two? A month? Three or six months?
    well, I sort of know how to "live off the land"- I have on hand a book of local edible plants, complete with nice pictures and how to prepare them; I know how to snare rabbits and net birds and catch fish and how to cook them; and there are tons of very tame deer around that it really wouldn't be that hard to catch and eat. Plenty of water, and lots of wood to make fires.
    BUT there are so many people who live here that they'd quickly overwhelm the land- no way we could all live off the land.

BUT there are so many people who live here that they'd quickly overwhelm the land- no way we could all live off the land.
    I have prepper relatives. Indefensible suburban house with no way to heat or cook without electricity. Deep well that relies on an electric pump for water, no surface water nearby. Extremely poor-quality soil for growing anything and limited game. But they have a year's-worth of food on hand and lots of ammo.

Their health is such that keeping an acre or two of lawn mowed with a riding mower is a hardship and they've never hunted wild game, so I suspect they won't have to worry about outliving their food stash.

ETA: I forgot to add why I included the quote, which is that all the preppers I've met seem to assume they'll be among the survivors of whatever-it-is. Hate to say it, but if you currently survive only thanks to modern medicine and a first-world lifestyle, your odds aren't looking too good. Just sayin'
    Last edited by WildBlue; Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
    ---------------------------

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    I have prepper relatives. Indefensible suburban house with no way to heat or cook without electricity. Deep well that relies on an electric pump for water, no surface water nearby. Extremely poor-quality soil for growing anything and limited game. But they have a year's-worth of food on hand and lots of ammo.

Their health is such that keeping an acre or two of lawn mowed with a riding mower is a hardship and they've never hunted wild game, so I suspect they won't have to worry about outliving their food stash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    might want to ask that question in Cyprus, Greece and coming to Spain and Italy

The reason our stock market is going through the roof isn't how great we are doing but has become a save heaven for the Europeans who are concerned about funds they once thought as save.
    That plus also, the the devaluation of the US dollar as a method of diluting debt, means it now takes more US dollars to represent the actual value of a share of stock.

I have a well. That will get my horses/cats and me water. I also have some food put away. Nothing major but it can't hurt.

I resent that the media and TV as made being a "prepper" into a bad thing. Since when is being prepared to take care of yourself bad??? If I want to be a "prepper" (prepared person), so what?

Hell, my employer is moving three states away, eventually. I might not have a job. So if I'm a prepper, I might be able to eat.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I have a well. That will get my horses/cats and me water. I also have some food put away. Nothing major but it can't hurt.

I resent that the media and TV as made being a "prepper" into a bad thing. Since when is being prepared to take care of yourself bad??? If I want to be a "prepper" (prepared person), so what?

Hell, my employer is moving three states away, eventually. I might not have a job. So if I'm a prepper, I might be able to eat.
    well, it's all in the label:

being prepared is one thing....going off the deep end calls for ridicule.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Whenever I see my chubbier-than-I'd-like self in the mirror, I remind my self esteem that I'm storing fat for leaner times, like an apocalypse! I will make it at least a month longer than my skinny cousin, you know. Plus, once the supply of cinnamon raisin bread and girl scout cookies are gone, I don't want to live anymore anyway.

Seriously though, looking at my shortcomings I see my terrible eyesight that requires contacts for astigmatism. I am sick enough to need repeated, frequent hospital intervention and skilled nursing care. Day to day I take multiple medications. I am not outliving the collapse of infrastructure in our society. Once I can no longer obtain contacts and I break that last pair of glasses, well, I am super vulnerable if I can't see. That is assuming I am living anyway without all my medications.

I do like how about 90% of the people assume they are not part of the 80% die off from whatever doomsday scenario happens.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Whenever I see my chubbier-than-I'd-like self in the mirror, I remind my self esteem that I'm storing fat for leaner times, like an apocalypse! I will make it at least a month longer than my skinny cousin, you know. Plus, once the supply of cinnamon raisin bread and girl scout cookies are gone, I don't want to live anymore anyway.

Seriously though, looking at my shortcomings I see my terrible eyesight that requires contacts for astigmatism. I am sick enough to need repeated, frequent hospital intervention and skilled nursing care. Day to day I take multiple medications. I am not outliving the collapse of infrastructure in our society. Once I can no longer obtain contacts and I break that last pair of glasses, well, I am super vulnerable if I can't see. That is assuming I am living anyway without all my medications.

I do like how about 90% of the people assume they are not part of the 80% die off from whatever doomsday scenario happens.
    LOL, I think it's closer to 99%

but this prepping thing is like the Y2K hype...

I just hope the hardcore preppers remember to rotate their inventory, and use some of those provisions up before they go bad....

The prescription med issue is serious, more for Mr P than for me. And I'm not sure our generator and deep well would survive an EMP but I do try to keep at least 6 months of mostly freeze dried and vacuum packed food on hand. I'm not that all interested in rebuilding after an all out nuclear war but I would like to survive a pandemic not to mention the next hurricane or ice storm
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, I think it's closer to 99%

but this prepping thing is like the Y2K hype...

I just hope the hardcore preppers remember to rotate their inventory, and use some of those provisions up before they go bad....
    Much of the Y2K hype didn't happen because of people like me who were testing systems for months before and were at our desks, stone cold sober and not hung over at 8 AM Jan 1 2000.

Interestingly I do know of one instance where a data base program was seriously messed up when some users were doing an automatic update when some of their systems reset for daylight savings time and others did not
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Seriously, you guys really should lurk on some actual Prepping/Survivalist boards. Having to say something like "rotate your provisions" to people who actually consider themselves "real preppers" is like going on COTH and saying "I hope you've thought about how you're going to feed that horse."

I doubt 99% of people who have ever *really* thought about preparing for a disaster situation would consider themselves the survivors. For me this is a fun *hobby*; I have read a lot, I have a variety of prepper "handbooks" and a lot of equipment & supplies that other people don't own, more "homesteading" supplies than most, and still think we'd be in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Seriously, you guys really should lurk on some actual Prepping/Survivalist boards. Having to say something like "rotate your provisions" to people who actually consider themselves "real preppers" is like going on COTH and saying "I hope you've thought about how you're going to feed that horse."

I doubt 99% of people who have ever *really* thought about preparing for a disaster situation would consider themselves the survivors. For me this is a fun *hobby*; I have read a lot, I have a variety of prepper "handbooks" and a lot of equipment & supplies that other people don't own, more "homesteading" supplies than most, and still think we'd be in big trouble.

heck, I sometimes wonder if the COTHers have thought about how to feed that horse....but that's neither here nor there.

There is prepping and there is going off the deep end, like the government takeover scenario...fueled by bad movies.

We all know it's corporate America we need to worry about, an they make more money when things run smooth!

But natural disasters are real.

But I do question the wisdom of some: They got a great deal on 2000 can't of Tuna (whether or not anybody but the cat eats is is not the point) and only paid a quarter a can, but now they have t build a 3000 dollar shed to store it.
    Which BTW could be blown away in the next tornado....

I am a DIYer by heart. I want to know how things are done. I know how a lot of things are done.

But I am not going to go crazy over it.

if you enjoy yourself doing this, hey, have a go at it.

But - and I do understand it's TV, not real - some take it too far!

And some take those to the cleaners....ah, had to love the one guy selling shelters....his guys had the small storm shelter installed the wrong way, it flooded....he used that opportunity to upsell his services.....

I think most of those preppers are just Hoarders giving their madness an excuse.

Stay healthy and alert and acquire skills instead of hoarding food and weapons.
    Funny you should say that about being hoarders. My daughter just helped with makeup for a small independent film that was being made north of Toronto. They filmed in this fellow's bunker that consists of 42 buses buried underground. Her biggest comment was that all of the property looked as if these people were hoarders, from the appearance of their garage and house.

if you enjoy yourself doing this, hey, have a go at it.

But - and I do understand it's TV, not real - some take it too far!
    Believe me, I think the show is bizarre, although I've only seen it once. This couple was interviewing people to share their "bug out" homestead with them, and simulated an actual disaster "bug out" so they could watch them and see if they were good enough. All I could think of was "why don't you invite your FRIENDS to join you in the bunker?" but they probably don't have any friends anymore!

I actually asked that question (and, seriously, how do you rotate #10 cans of dried beans and potatoes?) and was smugly informed that rotation is not necessary since everything will last at least 30 years in the cans. Since the same person informed me that honey can be used to treat most medical problems, I decided not to argue about the nutritional value of foodstuffs that has sat on a shelf for decades. Or ask if they thought to invest in a pallet of Kotex.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    I actually asked that question (and, seriously, how do you rotate #10 cans of dried beans and potatoes?) and was smugly informed that rotation is not necessary since everything will last at least 30 years in the cans. Since the same person informed me that honey can be used to treat most medical problems, I decided not to argue about the nutritional value of foodstuffs that has sat on a shelf for decades. Or ask if they thought to invest in a pallet of Kotex.

and still think we'd be in big trouble.
    yeah, the last time we had an apocalypse- the black plague in Europe- most people were quite self-sufficient and had good skills at taking care of themselves, and the medically challenged all just died anyway long before the plague came along. Nowadays, not so much. Do you know how to make soap? tan leather? weave cloth? take care of livestock? plow and plant and harvest and save seeds for next year? hunt and butcher? make a tool or a weapon? ride a horse? build a fire? chop firewood? construct a simple building?
    how about a pot to boil water in- know how to make a pot out of things you find outside?
    answer is a big fat NO to all for most people.
    If something does happen, we're in trouble. And I don't think hoarding food and weapons is going to help much.
    I started (fairly recently) trying to learn how to live off the land just in case the economy tanked even more and my financial situation got even worse. So if necessary I could just go live in the wilderness sans money. It's kind of fun to acquire such skills. Much more fun than hoarding food.