The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Doomsday Preppers

Anyone watch the show? Anyone agree or disagree that anarchy is approaching?

I have a friend that has an arsenal (I have weapons and ammo but this person has an arsenal that would rival some small countries). This person has all of these plans about what to do if the country collapses but there are serious holes in the plan.

Anyone else know any doomsday preppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
    Anyone agree or disagree that anarchy is approaching?
    might want to ask that question in Cyprus, Greece and coming to Spain and Italy

The reason our stock market is going through the roof isn't how great we are doing but has become a save heaven for the Europeans who are concerned about funds they once thought as save.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've been thinking about this. From childhood I have been a doomsday prepper. Mostly I plot how to release farm animals from their stalls and pastures so they have at least a small chance of survival when 95% of the human population dies in a maufactured viral apocolypse

1 members found this post helpful.

I remember "doomsday" "end of days" "apocalypse".. preppers from the early 1980s!
    Sure is taking a long time!

10 members found this post helpful.

Actually I kinda do it. We have guns and ammo, I also have stocked canned goods, done a ton of canning from my garden, have toilet paper stocked batteries, flashlights and candles. I have prepared my house for mother nature outages such as power ect... and I also am prepared for long term outages or anything else. Three of the horses I have at my place are trainned to drive we have one cart and one wagon so have transportation if needed.
    I truelly feel that it isn't "IF" something will happen it is when something will happen.

Well, I'm not worried about Doomsday - but I lived in Fl for 8 years, where there are hurricanes. A hurricane season actually, so you'd think people would realize.

But no, every storm warning brought a frantic rush to the stores, to buy bread and milk and TP and batteries, generators, bottled water and canned goods!
    It was crazy! Had these people no memory of last year, when the same things happened? And the year before that? I actually knew people who would sell their generator in Dec, after there hadn't been any storm warnings for a while - only to frantically rush to the store next Aug with the first tropical storm warning to buy one!

I don't live in Fl anymore. But here, I know to expect a heatwave in summer, an ice storm in winter, some strong wind to bring my powerline down once a year or so and for my car to break down at any time.
    So I've chosen to make sure that none of these things are emergencies, and I'm never the one desperately dashing to the store for TP, batteries to run the flashlight, or creamed corn. Having 2 weeks worth of food on hand and an extra 6 pack of Charmin is as easy and sensible as keeping a spare tire in your car.

3 members found this post helpful.

When we lived near the coast, we were "preppers" because of hurricanes. Now that we're in the mountains, it's because of ice storms.

We've had problems on the ham radio bands because of them buying ham equipment and not licensing it, then getting on the air. A few will make the effort to get a license (the entry level license exam is very easy to pass), but they carry on like citizen banders and are promptly chastised. I guess they figure when the zombie apocalypse happens, licenses won't make any difference.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I am all for being prepared for natural disasters, for us it is hurricanes. But I am talking about people preparing for the collapse of society, government, etc. Some of the things they state are, IMO, not very well thought out. For example:

1. 'I will grow my own food.' - Have you ever gardened before? It takes time to prepare the soil, then you need seeds, then you have to wait until the garden produces. This is not something you can just do at a moments notice.

2. 'I have a stream on my property so I have an unending source of water.' Do you have an unending source of either water purification tablets or fuel for fire to boil the water?

I agree that the world is becoming more and more of a scary place but I am not sure that it is possible to fully prepare for the ultimate doomsday.

As someone who lives in EQ, fire, flood and mudslide country, emergency preparedness is a personal responsibility and one you really owe your family.

Having evacuated home and horses, both personally many times, and assisting coordination of communities as part of my job, I can tell you that you must be prepared and responsible for your own household to a certain degree. Plan for your family, including pets, have supplies, food, medication, etc. In a large scale event, there is only so much government and NGO's can do. Immediate life/safety issues will always take precedence over anything else.

Now, that being said...some of those folks on DP might be a little "extreme".

Do your research. Have a plan. Be prepared for known disasters in your local area.

Stepping down off my soap box now. Have a lovely holiday weekend!

If, and I think it's a practically non-existent if, doomsday does happen, in any of the many forms it could take, I wonder if these people realize that it's not going to be doomsday for weeks, or even months, it's going to be years, maybe their entire lifetime. There's no way anyone could stockpile enough to last that long, and, if you have an extensive stockpile, there will always be someone bigger and stronger ready to take it all away.

I have always hoped that, if doomsday happens, I kick the bucket quickly and don't have to worry about surviving in some kind of primitive hell.

Common disasters are a different story. We have Winter here. I am always prepared for the possibility of being cut off for a week or two.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I am all for being prepared for natural disasters, for us it is hurricanes. But I am talking about people preparing for the collapse of society, government, etc. Some of the things they state are, IMO, not very well thought out. For example:

1. 'I will grow my own food.' - Have you ever gardened before? It takes time to prepare the soil, then you need seeds, then you have to wait until the garden produces. This is not something you can just do at a moments notice.

2. 'I have a stream on my property so I have an unending source of water.' Do you have an unending source of either water purification tablets or fuel for fire to boil the water?

I agree that the world is becoming more and more of a scary place but I am not sure that it is possible to fully prepare for the ultimate doomsday.

I think you are underestimating most "preppers". They like that. They hope a great many people will have this attitude and thus die out quickly in a real disaster, freeing up resources for those who are prepared enough to hold on a little longer.

I have the "prepper" mentality in that I see it as my responsibility to be prepared enough for short-term problems (storms, power outages, perhaps a loss of income). However, I require prescription meds to survive long term so if society collapses I'm a goner . That's ok though; frees up closet space.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    I think you are underestimating most "preppers". They like that. They hope a great many people will have this attitude and thus die out quickly in a real disaster, freeing up resources for those who are prepared enough to hold on a little longer.

I have the "prepper" mentality in that I see it as my responsibility to be prepared enough for short-term problems (storms, power outages, perhaps a loss of income). However, I require prescription meds to survive long term so if society collapses I'm a goner . That's ok though; frees up closet space.
    Yep. I am not a "prepper" - just a wannabe prepper. I seem to only own the animals that require feeding, not provide food. However, I know quite a few people who would be quite prepared for a long term disaster - weather, economic, fuel shortage, etc. They sort of hope it will happen and look forward to power outages to test it out.

I think the show is a bit melodramatic, but there really are people out there who are *prepared*. My good friend has a new rule that every home improvement MUST make them more self-sufficient or it doesn't get done - I am adopting that myself this year. I am hoping to build an outdoor oven and some 3+ season gardening via cold frames and good planning. Maybe get a root cellar dug as well.

I'll still have to BBQ my horses if the SHTF, but I have already figured out which ones will go first.

During the Cuban missile crisis, my Dad always said we would drive towards the light. That's my idea of prep.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I also think that show is over the top but I know a number of serious preppers and the vast majority of them just want to be independent and ready if something does happen. Most are homesteader types and very self reliant...pretty much the sort of folks that built this country from virgin forest.

I am not a serious prepper but the more I watch world news and what is going one in Europe and the Middle East and cringe at the stupidity and shortsightedness of our leaders, the more I want to hoard food and supplies. I already raise a great deal of my food..meat, eggs and veggies...probably 80+%...and sell what we don't need as our business. I'm having a great time with this business and eating the best I have ever eaten. Assuming we could stay on our farm and not lose it due to mortgage default in another great depression, we'd do OK. We also are armed and know how to defend ourselves...both hubby and I are ex military...so I won't sit back helpless while someone takes what we have. I also have a number of close friends who are invited to come and stay with us if it gets "stupid" and with some help, we'll be OK here I think..or at least have a better chance.

I tell everyone who is interested that now is the time to become more self sufficient...have a garden, get some chickens, put a feeder calf out there with your horses. I do believe some harder times are coming...almost inevitable at this point...so rather than hope everyone else starves and leaves me more, I'm trying to help folks who sincerely want to be less dependent on the supermarkets and the gov't and become resilient. I even have given classes to people on chicken slaughtering and processing...informal and no cost...just show up and pitch in.

I see no harm in anyone having a couple months supply of dried or canned food on hand...these times now are some of the only times in human history that we have depended on someone else to bring our food. Not so long ago, everyone canned and preserved food, smoked meats, had a root cellar, etc...so it's not exactly a concept that is whacked out. Most of us can do a lot more than we are doing and there is no harm in it. Digging foxholes on your property and building bunkers is probably a bit over the top though.

I think a lot of those people on the TV show have a screw lose.

and of course there are those who cash in on it.

And then I remind myself that it is not 'reality' no matter how much they bill it like that.

Yes, I think a lot of these folks have a big whole in their thinking. Not unlike the couponers hoarding their treasures...

But at least preppers don't think it's gonna work to rely on the infrastructure to keep your frozen dinners at peak condition...

many parts of the US are prime location for natural disasters, so you have to have some preparedness...but that storage shed is probably not going to do it when that tornado comes through, or that flood wave...

I think they watched too much bad TV, really, because when the poop hits the fan, the majority of people will pull together and help one another out and not turn on each other like a pack of wolves.
    Yes, some scumbags to exist, but they are few and far between.

We saw that two years ago, when the tornadoes ripped through Alabama...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I think they watched too much bad TV, really, because when the poop hits the fan, the majority of people will pull together and help one another out and not turn on each other like a pack of wolves.

Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

We don't own a TV, so I've not watched the show.

All anyone needs to do is read the book One Second After by William Forstchen to open your eyes to how quickly everything can go to sh*t. Yes, I know it is fiction, but the book makes you think about things that never occur to the average american.

I've always lived in the Country, and my Mom always had food canned, dried, etc. I've taken after her since we often have power outages here.

Frankly, anyone who doesn't have at least a weeks worth of food in their house is an idiot. It doesn't have to be a disaster of world proportions, it can be a personal illness, accident, or job loss. Don't forget to provide for the animals too.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I am all for being prepared for natural disasters, for us it is hurricanes. But I am talking about people preparing for the collapse of society, government, etc. Some of the things they state are, IMO, not very well thought out.
    Oh, lol, those.

The edge of crazy folks with their apocalyptic, Mad Max fantasies.... If the dreaded Zombie Apocolypse actually occurs, I actually would think that those folks would be among the first to snuff themselves.

For one thing, yup, you have a point - what are they going to eat while they wait months for their gardens to produce - assuming that their ancient, stockpiled seeds sprout and they manage to beat the elements for the very first time ever (where is the water for these gardens coming from??)

For another, they all see themselves as these leaders or loners. No one who isn't looking for a fast road to a short life is going to want to follow a leader who can't do anything, and loners won't be welcome many places.

Which leads us to the ever popular "living off the land" fantasy. :roll eyes:
    LOL, this came up as dinner conversation at a get-together once, and every last person was confident they could live off the land - until I said "Ok - quick!! Look out the window and name 3 edible plants!!"
    And - what if it's, say, winter?

I don't think of myself as a prepper, but I DO know how to milk an animal, and then turn that milk into cheese and butter. I can take a wheat seed through a crop and then to bread, and I've raised pigs from every stage of the game from A.I. to stir fry. None of these things take The End Of The World As We Know It to learn- and if I was really worried about Doomsday, I'd be more busy learnign that and other skills (brewing!! You'd need whiskey, for, uh, medicinal purposes yeah .. that's it) then I would be stockpiling dry beans and wheat berries that I have no idea how to turn into decent food - or, growing into next years food.

Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    We don't own a TV, so I've not watched the show.

All anyone needs to do is read the book One Second After by William Forstchen to open your eyes to how quickly everything can go to sh*t. Yes, I know it is fiction, but the book makes you think about things that never occur to the average american.
    I agree. That is a very good book...it really explains just how bad it can get quickly if we ever have a disruption in basic services. It will make you think.

As I mentioned before I do can produce from my garden, we have apple and pear trees so I can apples and pears, I also stock up on canned goods at the store to but only stuff that I haven't canned myself and need. I go to a bulk foods store and buy sugar, flour salt, corn starch and baking coco in bulk along with cream of wheat and quick oats. I have a huge plastic tote that has candles, flash lights and first aide items along with toilet paper and batteries and a weather/a.m/f.m radio, I have three duffle bags in my laundry room with three changes of clothes sleeping bag and pillow in each one. I always swap out batteries twice a year to keep them fresh and replace anything that we use from first aide if we need too. I also have put paper plates, paper bowls, can opener in the tote too I have to smaller totes with canned goods, crackers, granola bars, sugar, salt, instant coffee instant milk and tin coffee mugs with tin coffee pot in each tote I have a baggie with matches and lighters. in the bottem of each tote are a few boxes of amo along with three pocket knifes.
    Yes call me crazy but I live about 60 - 70 miles to the north west of a working nuclear power plant.
    With what is going on over seas and with our own government I am prepared for three people for awhile. If we stay at our home we can survive for over a year with what I have stocked, if we leave we would have enough for ten days. All of this stock also gives me comfort if my husband would loose his job knowing we can survive that long.
    I wouldn't exactly say I am a doomsday prepper but I am ready when something happens.