The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Sequester Blues - tell your story

I've got the sequester blues - got laid off from my wonderful job effective March 1. I am looking for a job and have had at least some things to apply for, which was good considering my somewhat strange professional life (special librarian+IT person+intelligence person+training person). Bad news is I haven't gotten much feedback from those jobs, save a staffing company that apparently is known for bait & switch and they did it to me. Otherwise, I just miss the intellectual stimulation of work. I'm 60 but am nowhere ready to fully retire.

Every once in a while I get a very strong feeling that it's all going to work out, which is rather weird. I am blessed with a husband with a good job, my sons keep my happy, and of course I have a great horse. So I review my gratitude list every day and try to enjoy the time off.

Anyone else?

1 members found this post helpful.

Not me specifically but we serve the military population who has been cut off from tuition assistance for a few weeks now. One of the contract folks on base is gone Monday and I know we had many civilian DOD workers go to 30 hours per week.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

It will work out - don't ignore that feeling! I was laid off from my job a few days before Thanksgiving. As in, came in to work and was told to go home; the company was closed (there was no information ever given to the employees that the company was even in trouble). I worked for a book publisher.

Well, as luck would have it I stumbled into a new job I just started a month ago. It's perfect for me - it's the kind of work atmosphere you only dream exists. My new job didn't even exist when I interviewed - I'd interviewed for a different position, which I would have been okay with. But they saw my skills and knew they needed to hire another person in the future, so they literally started up this new position for me. It's perfect, and puts my editing and writing skills to good use. Pays more, too.

So, I'm a firm believer in the fact that things happen for a reason, and it will work out. I was scared out of my mind and unbelievably poor during those few months - the holidays were rough. But I'm in a better place now, both in terms of my career and my finances. Hang in there, as frustrating as the job hunting process can be.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, between the lack of a federal budget for six months and the sequester, I've already had my salary cut in half for the year. Savings is pretty much wiped out at this point. If business doesn't pick up soon, I'm in deep trouble!

Not quite yet, but we will feel it. My employer is affected starting April 1, when Medicare reimbursement is cut 2%. They are doing OK, so we're not expecting layoffs or anything yet. DH works for a defense contractor..they've been singing sad songs for months, but no moves have been made yet. His job is probably more in jeopardy than mine is.

I've got a couple of friends who work for governmental agencies (EPA & USDA) who were furloughed a few weeks. Normally it wouldn't be horrible but they're already understaffed and overworked. My friend said when he started in his division three years ago they had 13 people, now they're down to two, both furloughed for 2 weeks each!

Another friend is involved in public health research and her entire department is freaking out because no one's grants have been approved. And we're not talking about starting new research either, in some cases grants supporting multi-year projects are being held up.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

DoD employed here. We were expecting 22 days of furlough but after the continuing resolution was passed they were able to reallocate some funds. Now we're down to 14 furlough days... 1 day per week for 14 weeks starting in June.

Im not looking forward to the pay cut (DH is DoD employed as well so double whammy) but trying to look on the bright side. I'm getting some extra "vacation" days to spend at the beach that I dont normally get... since usually we're slammed during the summer with the approaching fiscal year end.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Skip-same here, except the latest news was that some DOD services said they didn't need to do the full 14 days, but were told everybody has to do it anyway to share the pain. I feel the worst for the DOD employees in high cost areas, where they no longer get COLAs but locality pay, which is fully taxable, and will be reduced during the furloughs. I can't imagine what it's like to live in somewhere high cost like Hawaii or parts of Europe where you can barely make it with the current salaries and allowances. It doesn't help that I figured out it's more than 20%, because health insurance, charity deductions, and other allotments won't get any smaller.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    Another friend is involved in public health research and her entire department is freaking out because no one's grants have been approved. And we're not talking about starting new research either, in some cases grants supporting multi-year projects are being held up.
    We're trying to adjust to at least two grants being affected. One is for physical plant work to create a true ER space. Since we got through the earthquake, we can get through this delay, though it does reduce the quality of trauma service we can give.

The other though, deep-sixes any hope of continuing one of our public health grants and may deep-six any shot of starting to get realistic money from the third. I've given our board heads up that between the sequester and the target the Tea Party has painted on USAID,we'd better find private donors quicker than expected to keep our four dispensaries and health agent network funded. Everyone asks us 'why don't you just run Community Health off of grants, there's so much grant money available out there?' Yeah, right.....

And if we cut off service in most areas we serve, there just isn't anyone else around who can take over.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I'm sure that my company will feel the pinch as a contractor for the military. How that would affect me is yet to seen.

It amazes me that many people who work directly for the government, or on contracts where they work right with us, seem to be ignoring the coming cutbacks. The bosses of two other organizations that have tons of contract employees have noticed the same denial going on. People who will be out the door soon, are planning purchases, and other items that are probably optional, but seem to ignore the fact that their jobs are going away in the next month or so. It's absolutely stunning that people are just ignoring reality, and will end up in serious financial trouble because of this.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Jan - People are oblivious We had been hearing about the potential for furlough for several months before it actually became a done deal but yet there was a whole group of people at work who were in an outrage about it when we started getting notice. What rock do these people live under? And even after the sequestration was a done deal, there were people saying "oh it won't happen". Yep, denial.

I worry about our small business contractors. I work with construction contracts and many of our contractors have very little construction work going on outside of the base right now. They're relying on the military construction to keep them going right now. With the ongoing CR, we're not going to be putting out anywhere close to the number of projects we normally do over the next 6 months. I worry that some of those guys won't be able to stay in business.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Our school system got a kick in the guts. It had been given an amount of funds for a small, impoverished unemployment-ridden town and now the gov't wants the money back! LOL I'm sure we'll be fine but thanks for making us pull that money back out of an already struggling budget. Emphasis on "We've Be Fine".