The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default SCOTUS and marriage equality

Any predictions?

I am hopeful that there will be good news for same sex couples. Maybe not in the form of a sweeping ruling declaring all gay marriage bans unconstitutional, but I think there will be cause for celebration.

I hope I am not wrong!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

5 members found this post helpful.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I truly hope they do the right thing and make a sweeping declaration that all gay marriage bans are unconstitutional.

I cannot begin to understand how they (or anyone, really) can't see that all arguments against gay marriage are based in religious beliefs.

Give me one good reason, other than a religious belief, WHY gay people cannot get married.

Oh wait, there aren't any.

The separation of church and state in this country is a joke.

Equality for all.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

18 members found this post helpful.

SCOTUS? SCROTUS? WAIT? WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    SCOTUS? SCROTUS? WAIT? WHAT?
    Oh you are bad. I believe gay marriage will be legalized, just read about how much the government will make in taxes by allowing it.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

All good, except!

1) Heard someone on NPR today talk about the Roe v. Wade decision and the way that created huge backlash. That was because of the issue but also because it raised the problem of state vs. federal power. Their point was that if the SC was premature in agreeing to hear these test cases for the gay marriage issue, they might be creating the same future cluster-f.

OTOH, as someone pointed on the NPR show, the cultural acceptance of same-sex unions has been lickety-split-- much faster than abortions or feminism. No one under 30 "gets" the homosexual bigotry thing.

2) And has anyone priced out the cost of extending the benefits and rights of marriage to gay couples? In the second case, (regarding the payment of $300+K in inheritance tax by the surviving spouse in a gay marriage), Uncle Sam loses some money. I'm sure, too, that insurance companies and perhaps employees are just as happy to not have to give discounts to gay couples as they do straighties.

So, the advancement or decay of society aside, what's up with the money?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Hey101, the best the lawyer for Prop 8 could come up with is that it's a redefinition of marriage. That is code for suggesting a slippery slope to plural marriages and marrying your dog.

Everyone kept referring to the history of marriage as if it were always holy matrimony, man and wife, and not the financial and political arrangement it has really always been until recently.

mvp, someone pointed out the real difference between Roe and gay marriage is harm. You can argue that abortion on demand results in harm to the unborn, but you can't argue that marriage between two men or two women victimizes anyone.
    A helmet saved my life.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    I truly hope they do the right thing and make a sweeping declaration that all gay marriage bans are unconstitutional.

I cannot begin to understand how they (or anyone, really) can't see that all arguments against gay marriage are based in religious beliefs.

Give me one good reason, other than a religious belief, WHY gay people cannot get married.

Equality for all.
    If you're ever in the Twin Cities, please let me buy you a drink (or a coffee or what have you).

3 members found this post helpful.

I suspect they will say that the CA case has no standing since CA refused to defend it and it will revert to the lower court's decision overturning it.

I think DOMA will be found unconstitutional. I heard an interesting theory that the GOP would prefer that same sex marriage be found legal...otherwise they have to continue to fight the battle or lose the evangelicals.

Who knows, that may be true. They've certainly been awfully quiet though.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Oh you are bad. I believe gay marriage will be legalized, just read about how much the government will make in taxes by allowing it.
    Gay divorce court TV. I would watch the crap out of that!

25 members found this post helpful.

There have been a few prominent republicans who have stated support for gay marriage ( before Hillary did).
    Two things I heard/read ( so I could have misinterpreted it)
    1. Once gay marriage was legalized in Canada, it became hate speech to preach against it, if that is in your religious beliefs. Canadians chime in if I'm in error
    2. It brings the legality of roe v wade into question. If they rule it's a state right, not federal, then the federal ruling re abortion can be questioned - abortion was a state by state law before 1973.

My question, how many gay marriages have taken place since it was legalized (in the states that it was) I can't get statistics on that.
    Lastly, there have been riots in France (against) gay marriage. That surprised me.

Hmmmmm..... I will weigh in as a Canadian. Firstly on a personal note I really don't see what your sexual orientation should have to do with either your ability to get married to your partner or to raise a family.

I think that the hate speech thing has to do with the fact that we have a very different line in the sand here in Canada then you do in the states. The supreme court judged in 1990 that hate speech could be curtailed if it expressed "unusually strong and deep-felt emotions of detestation, calumny and vilification". We did recently have a case before the court concerning a Christian preacher who was passing out flyers calling people "sodomites". People have qualified Canada as a pleasantly authoritarian state when it comes to free speech.

I can't comment to the Roe v Wade thing as I don't really know the ins and outs of the law. As to what was going on in France, I am from Belgium and spend most of my day with French and Belgian radio on in the house as I work. There have been riots against the "mariage pour tous" agenda but there have been just as many for the proposal. the deal is I think, that there is a pretty strong traditional Catholic base in France that would be opposed to the idea just on traditionalist basis.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post

Equality for all.

I think some people cloak their bigotry and intolerance in religious clothing, to make it somehow more acceptable.

We have had marriage equality in Canada for years.
    The sky didn't fall. The sun rose and set as it always has, and everyone just kept on keeping on.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

14 members found this post helpful.

I'd be willing to bet money that the Court will find a way to dispose of both cases that does NOT address the constitutionality (under the Federal Constitution) of banning gay marriages.

Like Laura said above, it will be based on standing or something else. But that would still be good news for marriage equality Of course not as awesome as a Loving v. Virginia type ruling. I guess we'll find out in a year or so!

I agree with Laura ... Prop 8 case will be kicked back to CA ... will it go back to the district or higher state court to be decided. DOMA will be reversed, leaving the definition of marriage to the states (for the moment.)

Love having women on the court ... Justice Ginsberg's referring to civil unions as "skim milk marriages" and Justice Kagan's introduction of the reality that a union of two 55+ yos isn't going to yield children.

And - whatever our orientation - may we all be as active at 83 yo as plaintiff Edith Windsor is. Here is a brief video of her on the steps of the Supreme Court on Wednesday, commenting on the hearing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-J8q14EuWNY

More on her story and the ACLU challenge at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EFzcUDa2Y_0

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post

My question, how many gay marriages have taken place since it was legalized (in the states that it was) I can't get statistics on that.
    Not exact stats, but numbers are very easy to find via Google. Though I'm not sure why it matters?

I do know that here in MA, the home of the civilized (if slightly over-taxed), gay marriage has been legal since 2003. Somehow our cities have not burned down, our economy has not shattered, and here's a good one for the religious right to suck on....our divorce rate is one of the lowest in the country, oftentimes THE lowest from year to year.

9 members found this post helpful.

I am for gay marriage. What does it hurt? Many feel that there should be no regulation on marriage whatsoever. I disagree. Laws dictating incest is wrong, cousins marrying, people younger than 18 getting married, and everything in between, have their place. JMO.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    Gay divorce court TV. I would watch the crap out of that!
    Make me a spot on your couch! Can you imagine the show we'd see?

If I may bash for a moment: Having been the friend who had the pick up truck used in a Lesbian Move Out, OMG, don't do it. More vicious that a hetero break-up by an order of magnitude.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

6 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, just from perusing the local paper here in SW WA, the rate of gay marriage is much less than the hetero couples, following a rush as it became legal. I voted for it, proudly, to honor my gay and lesbian friends.

I'm am all for gay marriage! Since few churches will conduct them, that should keep the sanctity intact (sarcasm fully on) and all those hetero couples safely married for life. Oh...wait...the divorce notices are on the same page as the marriages in our paper...and gosh, there seems to be a lot of those, too! Snark...
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

If I may bash for a moment: Having been the friend who had the pick up truck used in a Lesbian Move Out, OMG, don't do it. More vicious that a hetero break-up by an order of magnitude.
    You may not. Really poor choice of words there.
    A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Make me a spot on your couch! Can you imagine the show we'd see?

I had a divorce atty tell me recently that lesbian couples were the easiest to divorce because it is typically amicable. So, while I've had a lesbian friend here and there over the years who probably would fit into the scenario above, I wouldn't say it is typical.