The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baker plaid quarter sheet?

I know curvon makes a quarter sheet but it doesn't come in the original plaid. So has anyone seen a baker quarter sheet? When I was in Wellington I picked up a baker blanket for a pony for $20, it is missing a buckle and ended up being to big for said pony. Just for giggles I put my 1/4 sheet on top of it and the blanket is just big enough to be made into a 1/4 sheet!!! My delema now is that when I went to the tack shop the other day I stopped by my seamstress's shop and it was empty! I asked at the tack shop if they new where she moved to and they didn't. :( So now I either need to find a new seamstress or buy a baker 1/4 sheet (if it exists)!

You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Thanks equisusan! Every once in a while one will pop up on eBay, But I have only ever seen the square ones. Now if I can find my seamstress she should be able to make the cut out to go between the saddle flaps. Hmmm my mind is turning
    Princess: evil first pony, Patch: RIP my baby girl, Lucky:I miss you, Molly:be good for your new kid, Charisma: my current project

Quote Originally Posted by Jumperrider55 View Post
    Thanks equisusan! Every once in a while one will pop up on eBay, But I have only ever seen the square ones. Now if I can find my seamstress she should be able to make the cut out to go between the saddle flaps. Hmmm my mind is turning
    I would think a decent seamstress could do that for you as long as you can give them a template. Hopefully you have one with the cut you like or can borrow one.

Don't go wasting money on buying one when you have a perfectly good sheet to be made into one! It shouldn't be that hard for a good seamstress to turn that into a 1/4 sheet as long as you can basically show them what you want out of it!
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Baker blankets are made of a polyester blend which is not suitable for a 1/4 sheet. Quarter sheets are made of wool or polarfleece for a reason. These fabrics have the ability to "wick". Short explanation - they will keep heat in and let moisture out.

Quote Originally Posted by neigh View Post
    Baker blankets are made of a polyester blend which is not suitable for a 1/4 sheet. Quarter sheets are made of wool or polarfleece for a reason. These fabrics have the ability to "wick". Short explanation - they will keep heat in and let moisture out.
    The link I sent on eBay is a fleece quarter sheet in the baker plaid so OP could use that as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by neigh View Post
    I have though of this and I will buy a cheap fleece 1/4 sheet from smartpak to go under it because the baker blanket isn't the heavy weight stable blanket. It's more of a medium weight. Plus I only use a quarter sheet to warm up and I pull it after they are warmed up unless they are clipped or it's really cold.
    Princess: evil first pony, Patch: RIP my baby girl, Lucky:I miss you, Molly:be good for your new kid, Charisma: my current project