The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for the replies guys. Still haven't been able to find a coat that's quite as stylish as I would like but these have given me some ideas of the warmth factor of the types of coats.

I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I got the Horseware Hexam Jacket for Christmas. I love it! It has kept me warm in 20 degree to 40 degree weather. it is waterproof and you can just wipe of the horse slobber. I wipe mine down once a week and Febreeze it! I have heard it gets all wrinkled if you wash it in the washing machine.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/horsewa...et/p/X1-40492/
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/mtn-hor...et/p/X1-40669/

It is much nicer looking in the blue (I think).

I HATE winter, especially winter clothes and jackets. Late last fall I went on a mission to find a more streamline winter coat that would keep me warm, keep me sorta dry if I got caught in the snow or rain, but that would not make me feel fat or otherwise more depressed that it was winter (I'm a flip flops and sun dresses kind of girl). I ended up with the Burlington (after looking at a lot of both horsey and non-horsey brands).

It has kept me quite warm all winter (Granted, we're talking VA winters...if you are somewhere that is cursed with really cruel winters it might not work). With proper layering (intelligent use of cold weather Under Armor and such), I stayed "comfortable" even on our coldest days up here. I've worn it 6 days a week, all day, all winter, and have abused the crap out of it (I HAVE pulled a snap off of it and it has a little tear that's easily mended...but I truly mean I ABUSED it...including washing it AT LEAST once a week). It will be good for next winter. And, even after a full season's worth of abuse, I still get compliments on it.

Oops. Totally missed that you've seen the Burlington!

Have you looked at Patagonia's Down Sweater? Its a little over your price range, $200, but well worth it IMO. I wear it to the barn, and around town, its as light as a feather, not at all bulky so its delightful to ride in, yet it has the warmth of down without the puffiness.

Thanks guys. I have looked at that down sweater and it's just not quite the styling I like.
    Yellowbritches>> Do you have a pic of the jacket in blue? I wish they had a pic on the website of it in blue as I can't picture it. I really like it in the orange, but not sure if I would like in the same in blue. Oops, never mind, it seems it's not really available in either color. At least not from dover.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I kinda like that aurora jacket but unfortunately is not available in my size.