The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Warm Jacket For Barn/Shows?

Currently when it's cold out when I go to the barn/shows, I wear a 'barn jacket' (you know, the thin ones a lot of people have with the barn logo on them) Like this one:
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../399784268.jpg
    Then on top of that I wear my "marshmallow sweater". It has been dubbed that as it makes the wearer look puffy like a marshmallow. It generally keeps me nice and toasty, however I look majorly frumpy and larger than I am.

I would like to look a little more stylish while keeping warm. I would like it to be closer to $150 or less if possible, though I nearly found a nice Pikuer jacket today at the tack store that was originally 250 or so but on sale for 50% off, however it was too big on me. (Similar to this jacket though I think it was a bit warmer and it was quilted I think, but similar looking style. http://www.tackroominc.com/images/Jo...ina-Jacket.jpg) So if you know of a great expensive jacket on sale that might work too. I would like something I can ride in if it's really cold (so not a long jacket)
    Any ideas (links to pics would be awesome) of warm riding jackets that are stylish, not too expensive?

I've always been loyal to Lands End. I have a Squall jacket from years ago that I still regularly wear.

The warmest coat I have is a down coat from LLBean, which is my winter "barn coat" but it's nearly always too warm to actually ride in it. It's great for when I have to stand around holding for the farrier. I've got a down sweater from Patagonia that's pretty warm but not quite as toasty, but much lower profile; since we're headed into spring you may find one on sale in your price range, as I think I paid around $100 for mine on sale in the off season.

Then there's always the classic Barbour option which is my go-to for wearing at shows, but that's more than you're looking to spend.

I ride in a northface (one of the puffy ones) it was pretty cheap from an outlet, looks super professional and flattering (here is a similar one http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...-2-jacket.html)
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I've been loyal to Mutso for riding jackets for the past 10 years. Jacket is still going strong, though I wear it far less now I live in warmer climates. Its stylish enough I don't look like a marshmallow and roomy enough I can fit a hoody or fleece under it if needed. I can't seem to find a link for an American outfitter, but this http://www.countryattire.com/womens/...y-sb014wo.html is closest to mine. Its on clearance for in your price range if they'll ship abroad.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Check online on the Dover close out section. They had a lot of nice jackets on sale last I checked.

I would look at the sales (SmartPak, Dover, etc) - you might be able to get something really nice this time of year. I would frankly just keep looking until you find something nice on sale.

If you do want a low-profile down jacket, you can't beat Uniqlo. It will cost you maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of some of the down jackets link above. And they have colors!! I think they sell online now.

And I do like that Pikeur you linked. A lot!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    The warmest coat I have is a down coat from LLBean, which is my winter "barn coat" but it's nearly always too warm to actually ride in it.
    I've got an LL Bean coat that is my winter coat. I LOVE it and it's the only coat that keeps me warm on those cold winter nights (cold being a relative term here in CA...30 degrees or so). I can ride in mine when it's really cold, but often rely on layers becuase it's too warm when I'm active.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I had a Land's End coat for about 8 years that was well-loved, but needed to be replaced- it wasn't as warm as I needed it to be. This year I replaced it with this Obermeyer coat (on sale now for $122!) and I have loved it. I have spent 15-degree days at the barn wearing a T-shirt, a fleece on top of that, and this coat, and been very comfortable. I also recently used it for its intended purpose when I took it skiing in Minnesota and it worked very well there too. I'll try to dig up a picture of me wearing it on a horse. It is lightweight and low profile, but more than warm enough for my needs- and as a bonus it's nice enough for street wear also. I've been very pleased with the purchase.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I bought a new Northface this year that is one of those new thin down jackets. I got it for under $200 from 6pm.com. It is super thin and lightweight, but has 800grams of fill. It is the warmest thing I have ever owned. I swear even it single digits you could almost get away with only a t-shirt underneath. Best investment ever!

Edit: I think this is it http://www.6pm.com/the-north-face-wo...fcTest=mat%3A1 it weighs like .00000002 pounds, it's so light. It's amazing how warm though.
    Last edited by Madaketmomma; Mar. 29, 2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added link

Thanks guys. I looked all through dover, smart pak, stateline and such. Anything I like tends to be too expensive for me.
    I quite like this jacket in the orange, but of course it is no longer available.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/mtn-hor...et/p/X1-40669/
    I am also from Canada so if I order from most online stores shipping costs are high (though I do have someone that has a US address but they only go for vacations) and if it doesn't fit shipping it back will be difficult. But that and the above pikuer I posted (though in a bit of a quilted design) is kinda the style type I am looking for.

Patagonia women's down sweater! Despite the name, it's quite warm yet surprisingly lightweight. Unless it is consistently in the negatives where you are (at which point you might be cold) this jacket is perfect. It was around $200, but honestly the best jacket I own -- to the point that when mine was stolen I absolutely had to get another!!

You are going to have better luck staying away from coats designed and marketed to the horsie set. I love my jackets (I have two: one for the barn, one for home/scooter riding/rainy days/etc) and paid $79 on sale. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66110...owfield-jacket
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

They're a little on the expensive side, but a good Barbour jacket will last you a life time. I personally love them.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd stay away from horsey designed type stuff as well. Way overpriced for what it's worth. Personally, any jacket I wear to the barn is one that's gonna be exposed to a lot so I'd rather it not be uber expensive. We have an REI and a Jax outfitter near me so I went to their clearance sales to look for a barn jacket. If you're looking for something lightweight but warm look to brands that people use for backpacking. I really really LOVE my GoLite puffy jacket but I don't know how it would hold up at a barn since it is a puffy jacket. http://www.golite.com/Ws-Demaree-Can...et-P46680.aspx
    I would buy anything from GoLite as the prices are reasonable and everything is so lightweight and comfy. REI, Sierra Trading Post, the Clymb (need a membership) online to look for hiking/outdoor type jackets at more reasonable prices.

Thanks guys. I certainly don't mind at all not going with a horsey jacket maker, I just want it to actually be stylish like the coats I did post. Cool pockets/lining/logos ect. Just a really cool looking jacket.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I would not want to ride in an waxed barbour. I love them, but not for riding....too stiff and not breathable. The quilted one, however, I probably would ride in but I'm afraid to ruin it so I keep it for around town!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I strongly recommend that you look in the clearance sections of L.L.Bean, Lands End, and Eddie Bauer websites pronto. Now is the time they are selling heavily discounted down jackets of all kinds. Some of the sizes and colors aren't available, but they are super cheap now, and I see that Lands End and L.L. Bean are offering free shipping. Eddie Bauer's stuff is the most stylish, so you may want to start there. Their sale ends tomorrow, I think.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I like the Northface Redpoint jacket - puffy but not HUGE and you can find on Ebay less than $100.

Hey, me three on the LL Bean coats! I'm in Canada and it can be cold, so in the winter I am in this one almost 24/7:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61708...parka&subrnd=0

Perks? The zipper moves from both directions, so if you're in the saddle you can unzip the bottom a little bit to make getting on/off easier. The length is perfect for me, just long enough to cover your butt without catching/sitting on it in the saddle. These jackets also wash really nicely - toss in machine, air fluff in the dryer and its good as new.

I am also a big fan of the north face vests. Warm and lightweight, I will layer underneath the parka above and then ride in the vest once I warm up.

One other tip that I recently heard but haven't explored yet.. apparently columbia is now making reflective heat style jackets that work by being very thin but reflecting your own body heat back at you to keep you warm. Like I said, I haven't looked into it yet but for someone looking for new riding solutions I would give them a look.