The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I was supposed to close today.

But instead I am not. The appraiser called out some things, hopefully they will be fixed today. Then on to the underwriter.

I am so excited about this house! It's the cutest little patoot of a house, I just love it.

But, instead of closing today I am meandering around packing random things. *sigh*

So, I know anything can still go wrong, anyone want to thrill or torment me with late closing stories??

I will say that American West Bank out of Spokane, WA, has been just super to buy from. It's a foreclosure but they are quick, on the ball, paid for what the appraiser called out, just an all around great experience there.

Also, I am getting rid of Comcast, who offered to kindly charge me $60+to hook up service at the new place. The City of Tacoma has it's own Click! network, they have been fabulous to deal with so that is where I will get my internet. No hook up fee, honest calls about what needed to be done and how long it would take form them (it's a new home so they have to run something somewhere to connect it LOL!!).
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default I am kind of at the other end...

I have been getting my mom's house painted, carpeted, emptied out, not exactly in that order. Almost lost it with the remodeler. I met with the real estate agent today, and signed papers, while he took pictures of the house. Everyone in the family is mad at me, thinks I spent too much money, but I did what he told me to do. He seems positive he can sell it soon.
    Good luck to you.
    Another killer of threads

No closing horror stories here - I just remember the apprehension.
    Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    But instead I am not. The appraiser called out some things, hopefully they will be fixed today. Then on to the underwriter.

I am so excited about this house! It's the cutest little patoot of a house, I just love it.

But, instead of closing today I am meandering around packing random things. *sigh*

So, I know anything can still go wrong, anyone want to thrill or torment me with late closing stories??

I will say that American West Bank out of Spokane, WA, has been just super to buy from. It's a foreclosure but they are quick, on the ball, paid for what the appraiser called out, just an all around great experience there.

Also, I am getting rid of Comcast, who offered to kindly charge me $60+to hook up service at the new place. The City of Tacoma has it's own Click! network, they have been fabulous to deal with so that is where I will get my internet. No hook up fee, honest calls about what needed to be done and how long it would take form them (it's a new home so they have to run something somewhere to connect it LOL!!).

You too Larksmom, hope it sells tomorrow. My realtor says everything around 100 and then around 200 is flying off the market, as long as it is in FHA/VA/USDA shape. It's true, I know a guy that has been looking in the area for a house around 200-225 and every time he makes an appt, it is already pending.

Thanks JG, the apprehension IS killing me. My boss just went through building a home and at a meeting Wed she saw me getting all antsy reading an email and told me to "just sit tight, there is nothing you can do, it will keep going but getting mad or demanding will not speed things up. TRUST ME" LOL!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Ours didn't close until something like 3 weeks later than planned, thanks to the realtor dropping the ball among other things. My insurance agent needed some info from her, so I told realtor to call the ins. agent THREE TIMES. I texted her the number, I left her a voicemail with the number, and then I spoke to her on the phone and gave her the number again. A few days later, my ins. agent called to say they still hadn't gotten those numbers? So I called my realtor and she said "Oh, do you want me to call them?".

After that point, we had some issues at the underwriters and had to switch loan types - my $0 down loan then became a $12k down loan. That took an extra few days as well.

We got lucky - seller had asked for 2 weeks post closing before she had to vacate (she was buying + moving out of state). She was out within 5 days of closing and I had the keys.

Good luck!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I'm waiting on a closing that was supposed to happen yesterday. But, and it's a BIG BUT, a look at the deed revealed that there should have been an easement for a shared driveway, and there wasn't. The driveway starts on the neighbor's property and then goes right to "my" property. There has to be an easement recorded on both "my" property and the neighbor's. It's not on either. So the title company has to do a title search on the neighbors property and get both deeds corrected.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

reading these stories is getting me more wound up than i already am, haha. buying a house is such a chore! it's all hurry up and wait...exciting though!!
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

We were supposed to close a week before Thanksgiving , we closed a week after Christmas.
    I hope you don't have to wait that long, it makes your brains turn to mush!!
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Oh my! that is way too long. I hope I don't have to wait that long either.
    The Knotted Pony

In Colorado the closing were at the title company, and they had some really funny stories about things that can happen (the buyer on my townhouse was caught in traffic from the closing for her former house, so we had an hour or two to kill).

The closing person's strangest story was doing the closing for a huge property, and everything had to be faxed to and from the seller's yacht in the Caribbean, so the closing took all day.

My realtor's strange one was a woman who had already bought another place, and was apparently very happy about getting the place sold, and had already moved to the new place. She called the realtor the night before closing, and wanted to cancel everything. He reminded her that she would lose big financially on the cancellation, didn't want two mortgages, (actually couldn't afford two), said she couldn't wait to move, and was so happy about moving before. The next day at the closing the seller cried through the whole process, and couldn't seem to stop. The entire process was incredibly bizarre, and in the months to follow the seller told my friend repeatedly how happy she was to move, and how much she liked the new place. My friend the realtor never did find out why the seller was so upset at closing.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Wow. LOL!!!

Well, Jan, I certainly won't be crying when it closes
    The Knotted Pony

Our closing was pushed two weeks because our sellers sucked.

They accepted our offer because we didn't have another house to sell, and could close on their deadline of Jan 11.

Then we get all prepped for that date, but they wouldn't close because the sellers of their NEW house weren't ready. So we pushed it back. Then they wanted to do it again. Then they wanted to keep the fridge that was part of the deal.

We finally said, get out, and we closed Jan 30. They weren't very happy with us but THEY named the closing date and then kept changing it, and we got fed up with having to pay our attorney to redo papers and get the mortgage arranged again every time they backed up a week.

Shheeeeesh! They are lucky you didn't just back out of the deal.
    The Knotted Pony

Get all of your locks rekeyed the day you take possession. Don't bring personal possessions over there until they are changed. Often, homes for sale have lockboxes that give access to anyone with a key card or the code. Many times, people will get a copy of the key made, and go back and steal stuff. Also, make sure your windows are all locked. Again, some thieves will unlock a window from inside, and later return to remove screen, go in and steal stuff.

Oh yes, I had heard that, jetsmom! My very first purchase for the new home the day I close will be a new drill and drill bit set and one of these for each door--

http://www.lowes.com/pd_386860-78360...g|1&facetInfo=

Then blinds for the windows and also dowels
    The Knotted Pony

well I have several crazy stories from just this sale. I have written before about what a LOSER my nephew is. My sister, my mom and his girlfriend all coddle him, so there was nothing I could do. None of my business. We finally got him moved out last fall.
    Well, the week we began all the reconstruction, he had been fighting with his girlfriend, so he packed up and moved back into moms. When my friend woke him and told him to go, he did. He left all his goodies there. When I showed up, the workers told me there was a play station in the closet, and would I want to sell it. I didn't know he had spent the night and brought all his possessions back. I told the workman he could take it after we got everything out at the end of the next day. Of course the play station disappeared, AND a new laptop, AND my dad's coin collection. He only brought back the play station.
    This put me in a bad spot-I know my friend is honest, but I don't know his friend from Adam. There were many people in and out of the house, so technically, it could have been any of them. But he was the one asking about the play station. I couldn't fire them as they were in the middle of a remodel. I didn't know anyone else that could do it. Plus anything worth stealing was already gone. Then there were the THREE snowstorms. @$@$%#$%%^%&^
    I changed the locks, now they are all mad at me. They are all also telling me it will never sell. ugh. Just trying to hang onto my sanity.
    Another killer of threads

Hang on, lady, hang on! My my my
    The Knotted Pony